Skidding with horses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcoulas

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My employer is thinking about buying two bushes that require us to skid with horses. I will be cutting, he will hire a local with horses that are used for field work. This is new to me and will be different without a skidder to push or pull trees. Sounds like a fun new experience. Is there anybody here that has or is currently working with horses in the bush? Is there any pointers or advice you might have? Thanks.

When the guy hooks the horses to the skid, be WAY out of the way! Once the hear that little "clink" of metal on metal they are GONE!!!
Plan on using the cant-dog or cant hook a lot and having a big yard area. The horses can't stack logs.

I helped a guy do some horse-logging down on the Bridger Teton NF in the early 90's. It was alot of work but fun. Here's a few pic's: In image 3 you can see that we used one horse to skid individual logs to the 2-horse team that skidded multiple logs down to the landing. Having good tempered, patient horses that are well trained makes ALL the difference. These shots are of us harvesting beetle killed lodgepole pine for use as house logs.

Nice pics! One thing that will be nice is when I shut the saw off, it will be quite for a few minutes! I'll have to pay close attention as I won't have a machine to cover my butt if I make a mistake or I get a difficult tree.

I do a bit of horselogging in NH. I think you'll like it.

For advice, start at the back of the lot and keep the brush behind you. You'll have to cut the whole main trail first with a little turnaround near the end. Keep brush out of the trail. If you lose a tree sideways, cut the first log and have him pull double (log and top) from the point of the cut. If a tree has to come backwards take out a few trees in front of it first so you can control the lay and keep the top out of the trail. If the horse guy is using a cart, you'll have to make turnaround space of about a twenty foot radius after every few trees. Try to get paid more per cord than you would for a skidder. You'll be doing a hell of a lot more hand work on the ground for a lot lower production.

Good luck

Thanks Rick that's just the advice I need. When you are working with machines you don't have so much prep work. If we take the jobs it will be a new experience.

Another thing to consider is the length of the skids. Not only is it quicker to have shorter (timewise) trips to the landing, but the horses will be fresher after each trip that way.

Horse logging is a whole lot more work than conventional logging. The horses work even harder than you do so they need to be in great condition and still they need frequent breaks and plenty of GOOD TASTING water. +1 regarding the use of a cant hook. It will be your best friend.

Your productivity will be much lower than you are used to. You can by a knuckleboom loader that fits on the horses shoulders so you can deck about 10' high. Huh, you wish! Your deck will look much different. Any slope to your skid trail, up or down, will add challenge.

Latest posts

Back