Skilsaw model 1629

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crxmaniac

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought i'd ask to see if anybody knows anything about this saw as I haven't found much in my searches.

It's a Skilsaw brand chainsaw model 1629 type 3.

Got it from a guy that was about to put it on his front lawn for garbage. He claimed that "It's so old you cant get any parts for it" It had a tag with 'no spark' on it, but after about 1/2hr of playing with it it turned out to be the kill switch. its got good compression, starts very easy as I have got it running now nicely.
Needed a fuel line and a clean up.

What does anybody know about these? would it be worth to hang on to? I've currently got a Sthil 038 super.

Thanks guys

attachment.php

I like these sleek looking skilsaws, that was a good find.

PICT0612Medium.jpg

Here's mine, I really love the lines of those PM saws. It now sits on a shelf in my den!

Really nice! worthy of display.

Some of them sold in pure white, too.

Mine I bought for $30 at a recycling plant where it was sitting with other junked outdoor equipment.

A change of fuel, and it fired up. I ran it for a while but got rid of it eventually. Nice wee saw, although nowhere near as common as the larger Canadien 95cc saws.

Harry

Yeah 1 is metal other is a plastic im thinking.the metal tank seems like it has a brown sandy like grit on the insides of the tank . dont know what it is ?dont know if someone threw something in the tank or its rust?the plastic tank looks fine.my dad had 1 back in early eightys it was brown with a black plastic gas tank.man i though it was an awsome saw.the big wood we cut with it man it was unreal.

I, we actually picked up the first one around 1980 over in Newfoundland when we were moving a house over onto a new foundation. Had to cut trees out of the way and actually used two of the bigger ones as skids under the house, pulled it with a Timberjack. Still have it around here somewhere and it was a cutting son of a gun compared to the other saws we were running at home at that time they crankcase had integrated fuel tanks that boiled the fuel in the summer months.

Back