Skip or full comp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Skiptooth or full comp chain? I did a search, but maybe didn't search hard enough, on the type of chain for a 24" bar on a 71cc saw. Use? For bucking hardwoods. If there is a thread on this topic already - kindly point me in that direction. Don't want to :deadhorse: :)

Kevin

searching.....

.....criteria for above results:

search

advanced search

keywords: full skip chain

search: titles only (you've really got to be diggin' for something obscure to seach entire posts)

search in: chainsaws

Last edited:
Things I've run recently in green eucalypt:

58cc 20" full comp - bogged easily when burried, but cut OK with a light hand
58cc 20" skip - good.
78cc 20" full comp - really good.
87cc 32" skip - fine, slow when burried (that's a lota wood) but keeps going.
87cc 20" full comp - really good.
90cc 24" full comp - fine

71cc and 24" ? either would probably be OK. You'll just need to adjust your cutting style to suit.

Maybe... Hmmm... if it's an old and torquey saw go full comp, if it's a new gazillion RPM screamer go skip ?

Any other views from out there?

sawn_penn said:
Things I've run recently in green eucalypt:

58cc 20" full comp - bogged easily when burried, but cut OK with a light hand
58cc 20" skip - good.
78cc 20" full comp - really good.
87cc 32" skip - fine, slow when burried (that's a lota wood) but keeps going.
87cc 20" full comp - really good.
90cc 24" full comp - fine

71cc and 24" ? either would probably be OK. You'll just need to adjust your cutting style to suit.

Maybe... Hmmm... if it's an old and torquey saw go full comp, if it's a new gazillion RPM screamer go skip ?

Any other views from out there?

The saw is my Olympyk 970. I wouldn't say it is of the 'old and torquey' type. I've found some more threads on this subject and am thinking about semi-skip chain. The bar I'm looking to get is a GB bar and the 24" version for my saw is 3/8" x .058". So the next thing would be finding semi-skip .058" chain. I see at Bailey's that they have full-skip in Oregon chain, but do not have semi-skip. Jonsered and Total have 24" bars that will fit my saw without any mods - but they're also in .058". I wouldn't be using the 24" bar that much, so maybe I'd be better to decide between full-skip and full comp - less headache.

Kevin

I don't hear much about half skip.

Full skip has 2/3rds as many cutters as full comp.

Half skip has 4/5ths as many cutters as full comp.

I'm guessing that there is not enough difference between half skip and full comp to make people bother using it....

Latest posts

Back