Slight chain sharpening oops.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewSawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Sharpening the 3/8ths full chisel chain on my Craftsman 3.7. I don't know who makes the chain but I doesn't have mark to indicate the angle. So I defaulted to 30 degrees. About half way through the first side, I started wondering why my file was so far off the angle that existed on the dull cutters. Duh, the original angle is probably 25. :omg: Sure seems like what my angle guide says. Next sharpening I get to fix that.

It will probably slow down the cutting because the point isn't as steep on a angle but I would think it would stay sharper longer. IDK, probably doesn't matter one way or the other. Thanks!

It will probably slow down the cutting because the point isn't as steep on a angle but I would think it would stay sharper longer. IDK, probably doesn't matter one way or the other. Thanks!
the 30 degree angle should make it cut faster but stay sharp for less time. the 25 degree angle will cut slightly slower but stay sharper longer..

I'm with Guido I thought we was going to see some blood here. just kidding stay safe.

25 will cut faster and dull quicker, but that isn't the critical angle you are needing to achieve.
I thought that the steeper top plate angle the faster the chain will cut but also dull quicker? Someone correct me as I am no expert. But I think you are correct also about the important angle is where the top and side plates meet.

The top plate angle isn't that critical, the side plate one is. Which makes file size important when hand filing, as the side plate angle is determined by the grinding wheel
angle when grinding, not the wheel diameter.

Don't need to worry about it much, just keep them consistent. When i was a bucker, when conditions were muddy or lots of sand on the wood ( trees got dragged to the landing behinds cats and skidders, when it was muddy the logs were completely caked in mud), i would file back to about 10 degrees, or even less, to try and keep an edge for longer, and then i would bore through the log and try to cut up to the bark from the inside, to avoid cutting through the mud. You're right, a sufficient hook angle and keeping the gullet filed out and rakers set down is more important than top plate angle, but all else being equal, 30 degrees will cut faster than 10 degrees, but dirt will knock the point off quicker, and require more filing back to repair rock damage.

25 will cut faster and dull quicker, but that isn't the critical angle you are needing to achieve.
depends which way you're measuring the angle. Generally 25 degree is less sharp than 30. 10 degree is milling chain territory and its not very acute.

Back