Slingshot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmueller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was topping a tree for takedown by a service line to a house. The tree was leaning over the line so I spiked up past the point where the tree crossed the line. Used a sling and pulley so we could lower down the top without hitting the line. Made the notch, started the back cut and tried pulling over the top. Nothing. Cut a little more and all the sudden, POP, over it goes and the stem shot back so hard it knocked me and my gaffs off the wood where I found myself hanging upside down by my saddle and lanyard. Got bucked right off the thing. I'll be wiser on the leaners next time. Seems they pack an extra punch. O.K., go ahead and rip on me now. I deserve it. (Weekend hacker/slacker).

Been ther,kind of

Cut loose a service drop on a 40 ft"black jack" pole, the recoil,caused my to cut out,slid down about 25ft of pole before getting my right hook back in.It stretched be so bad,my head hit my right heel.No splinters,walked with a cane for 3 weeks,took over a year before the creosote burns,on my arms,went away.It's a learning experiance,if it doesn't kill you.

The power company will usually come out and drop the drop if you call and schedule it. Why risk insult to injury, those drops are around 500.00 dollars to replace, I'm not gonna "pay to work in a customers yard". As for phone and cable you can disconnect and reconnect on your own fairly easily, if you get in good with a few guys in the field at your power company they may even give you thier cell number and you can get it drop in a few hours notice..........just a thought

Last edited:
On Maximum Exposure last night they showed a video of a guy taking out an elm lead. Heavy leaner and he was tied in to the top with his line at about a 45 degree angle. Looked like the groundie had too many wraps, he got flung off like a catapult and ended up hanging upside down, after getting slammed big time.:blob2:

Yes power companies will drop their lines, no charge here. They don't want some dingdong breaking their lines or getting fried either. :blush: :angry: :angel:

Originally posted by fmueller
No broken lines, no frying, just an upside down dingdong.

I might be able to hook you up with a good plastic surgeon who can fix that for you.:blob2:

Latest posts

Back