slippery wheelbarrow handles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
During the winter when I am using my wheelbarrow to bring wood to the house, I struggle to hold on to the handles because my gloves are a bit slick on smooth wood. I have thought about using the kind of tape used on hockey sticks or bike handles. What have you found that works best for improving "traction" on smooth wood wheelbarrow handles?

During the winter when I am using my wheelbarrow to bring wood to the house, I struggle to hold on to the handles because my gloves are a bit slick on smooth wood. I have thought about using the kind of tape used on hockey sticks or bike handles. What have you found that works best for improving "traction" on smooth wood wheelbarrow handles?
coarse steel wool. to roughen it a bit...

The white athletic or medical tape you are thinking of should work great. The old school good stuff, with real threads in it.

Some of those grip gloves? They are normally kind of light so just change them from your heavys if you use those to handle wood. Should last a lot longer that way. I used to feed hogs outside everyday I can't say as I ever had that problem and I just used leather gloves.
I have a pair of leather winter gloves I use when bringing wood to the house and don't want to use two pair of gloves just to get some wood. If grip gloves would also stand up to handling split wood, that might make a difference.

Atlas Nitrile gloves work for me down to about 25°, then the insulated version is good to about 15° (my h/w store switched vendor last year, but these look and feel the same). Below 15°, I just build a fire and sit by it till the weather improves.
IMG_9248.JPG
In my experience, these last longer than leather gloves by a significant amount, work well when the wood is wet or dry, aren't slippery, and the best part, they are cheap. I always wear out my left gloves first for some reason.

P1040749.JPG

I use the hockey tape on lots of stuff. Works good on long handled snow shovels and ice choppers. Wrapped the metal handle on my snow thrower too (can't use foam due to the 'deadman' switch). When it wears off, add more.

Philbert

Atlas Nitrile gloves work for me down to about 25°, then the insulated version is good to about 15° (my h/w store switched vendor last year, but these look and feel the same). Below 15°, I just build a fire and sit by it till the weather improves.
View attachment 545593
In my experience, these last longer than leather gloves by a significant amount, work well when the wood is wet or dry, aren't slippery, and the best part, they are cheap. I always wear out my left gloves first for some reason.

View attachment 545592

What I use. Good to -15* colder than ghat I find indoor work.

Back