slipping/worn clutches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkwrencher

Junkwrencher AKA 2Bears AKA Missedshot
Reaction score
Any tricks? I'm thinking of using brake parts cleaner to degrease and rough up the inside of the drum with sandpaper.I understand there is a limit as to wear.

It's a Stihl 026,I've rebuilt the bottom end,top end,oil pump,and now it looks like a clutch.Running a sixteen inch bar in most any wood,the least amount of bind or pressure the chain stops.Background,the oil line ruptured at the bar mount inside the chainbrake/oil pump cover flooding this area with oil,I think the friction surfaces are galded/contaminated.

It's a Stihl 026,I've rebuilt the bottom end,top end,oil pump,and now it looks like a clutch.Running a sixteen inch bar in most any wood,the least amount of bind or pressure the chain stops.Background,the oil line ruptured at the bar mount inside the chainbrake/oil pump cover flooding this area with oil,I think the friction surfaces are galded/contaminated.

I doubt it. How is the compression and leak down?

response to 2dogs

The compression is 130 cold,leak-down I haven't checked.I don't run out of power,the saw tachs up in the cut and the chain stops,the engine never bogs.

I've never seen that... sometimes they slip for a very short time but the oil will burn off and the clutch will work fine.

Take your clutch apart and have a good look at it... Rarely do you need a new clutch on an 026. Drum? maybe..

Degrease it all with brake-kleen, run some 100 grit appears around the drum to scarify the surface. If the drum looks suspect, toss it.

PM bcorradi if you need a used clutch; he likely has boxes of them.

btw.. 130 is marginal at best..

Latest posts

Back