small axe for mom

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WadePatton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
so if you were getting your mother a kindling buster for christmas (she mentioned it at thanksgiving), what make would you buy? something in the 24" range.

bailey's has a good one--is there any reason to look further?

just axin'

wp

Ask yer dad if he's done anything stupid lately.

Fiskars. SS.

Kindling?.....a dead blow hammer, and a good hatchett.

Ask yer dad if he's done anything stupid lately.

Fiskars. SS.

Kindling?.....a dead blow hammer, and a good hatchett.
oh no, he's been pretty straight since i got her the ruger bearcat last year. :jester:

i'm thinking camp axe size, because she'll use it for other stuff too. and sure, i'll teach her the hammer technique. heck-i've used a cleaver before...

I would get her the Fiskars that is the next size up from the hatchet.

Then I would be there when she first used it and would be sure to warn her about how light and sharp it is. It will fly through the wood and could surprise her in a bad way.

PS .... no hammer needed

:cheers:

Estwing fireside friend...

A friend that puts on deer camp for us has one of these...They are $30-$40, but I will own one...

Product Description
"ESTWING" FIRESIDE FRIEND SPLITTING TOOL Handle length and weight give leverage and power for easy wood splitting. Forged one piece solid steel construction to eliminate loose heads. Handle covered in laminated leather washers pressed on and riveted double lacquered for finish. Overall length 14-1/4" 2-3/8" cutting edge With the famous 1pc design One piece with nylon vinyl grip Bulk

FIRESIDE%20SPLITTER.jpg

Last edited:
snow and nealley. where is it made?

update: bailey's says that the snow/nealley axe head is german, handle is domestic hickory fwiw
update number two: from snow and nealley
Hi Wade

We do buy our forged heads in China. We had to go there when our USA left the states 5 years ago. When we get the heads we bake them in our oven to temper/harden them then we grind and sharpen them. We then put them on hickory handles that we get from Tennessee.

Thanks for your interest in Snow & Nealley.

Barbara

looks like they've outsourced as there is absolutely no mention of making 'em here. just a lot of blah blah blah about history and tradition.

anybody know?

i'm sorta a sucker for products still made here. you have to dig and search and ask, but some still exist yo.

on the hammerhead stuff--she'll prefer a lighter head, but i do see the utility. looking for something more traditional than the fiskars. her fireplace is recreational only so optimum performance is not really an issue.

thanks

followup to the updates: wetterling is looking like the winner.

Last edited:
those eastwing hatchets and camp axes are nice, something about there handles I like more than the fiskars handles. I also like a good old wooden handle, ebay generally has a boys axe listed. They are usually about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs, with about a 24 to 26" handle, I've got a couple of old boys axes around too, a plumb and a collins I think.

yeah, i had one of the estwing hatchets as a boy. nobody told me how to maintain that handle, so it got dried out and crappy at some point. would love to have that one back-i'd make a new handle for it. must have been yard-saled away in the 70's.

bidding on an antique head now...

Find a "Genuine Norlund Tomahawk" head on ebay then go out and buy a boys axe handle. Makes for the perfect all around axe. Light weight, well balanced, yet plenty strong enough to split if needed. all for around $30-$40. I will be getting another one of these just because I like it so much and it works so well.

Last edited:
I like the Fiskars Pro splitting axe for inside splitting. My recommendation would be to get her the 24'' handled one. And like CJCOCN said make damn sure you show her how sharp it is because IMO it is a real hazard for an unwitting operator. Not only when you're swinging it but when rocking it out of a round- very easy to lose a finger if you're not careful...:cry:

thanks guys.

bought a westbygodviriginia-made antique and collectible--and quite usable axe head.

i prefer the more traditional style. and that fiskars is most likely made where i don't like to send money.

Glad to see you found something acceptable!

I would certainly consider a dead blow hammer to give with it. I feel it is much easier/safer driving my hatchet through with a hammer when making kindling. Wifey even makes kindling since I showed her how to use the hammer!

I'm no expert, but I just can't get use to a fiskars, gime an old axe, and I'll tell you if it's good, takes time to get used to an axe, maybe I've not given fiskars enough time. I think you've made a good choice, time will tell you if it's good.

see, i have the exact axe for mom right here by the stove see. but i bought it used, and i use it, and it's got paint on it. it's not pretty see.

but i couldn't find anything just like it for sale see...except for old companies pretending that the grandchildren hadn't sold out and gone the way of profits uber alles.

so i'm "making" one. used head, new handle. traditional--it will be looked at more than used, but usefulness is also a primary factor-and useful it will be. i can sharpen it. i sharpen knives and nearly all other tools...to original or better edges.

old tools--functional antiques, just like my cookware. see

space-age wundergear is fine for some places, or where ulitmate performance is required. this ain't it.

i get to be choosy see.

:cheers:

Last edited:
For the record my main splitting maul is a 16 year old American Made Craftsman fiberglass handled 6 lb maul (Been swinging it since I was 8 years old..). I have 3 pairs of American Made Redwing's, all over $200 each, and I had to force myself to stop buying old American Steel sockets wrenches and other tools because my house it piled with it...

sitting here with 'merican boots/socks/jeans/belt, even drawers! and a nicaraguan t-shirt using a chinese (oh sure it's assembled in tn) dell.

ya do whatcha can.

peace

good tool

A friend that puts on deer camp for us has one of these...They are $30-$40, but I will own one...

Product Description
"ESTWING" FIRESIDE FRIEND SPLITTING TOOL Handle length and weight give leverage and power for easy wood splitting. Forged one piece solid steel construction to eliminate loose heads. Handle covered in laminated leather washers pressed on and riveted double lacquered for finish. Overall length 14-1/4" 2-3/8" cutting edge With the famous 1pc design One piece with nylon vinyl grip Bulk

FIRESIDE%20SPLITTER.jpg

I have one of these also, it's a good tool, and works well. Made in usa as far as I know... havent seen anything that makes me think otherwise. It's cool that u found an old traditional axe head and fitted it with a new handle...i think the steel used in the old ones is better quality than the steel used now-a-days. I sometimes use a "stick" with a nail thru the end when making kindling... poke the nail in the wood to hold it steady and bust the kindling without getting your fingers in the path of danger. So what if you hit the stick or the nail. maybe a good tip for your ma.

Back