Small business chainsaw fleet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidsonProprty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say Hi!
I run a landscape and tree company, and wanted to share my saw fleet and how I feel about it.
MS192, MS201, MS261, and MS660...and I'd like to add either a 362 or 460 to the fleet this coming year for that mid-range saw 25" bar for in-tree use.

First off, I've only used an MS200 a couple times for a total of maybe a dozen cuts...so I don't have a lot of time operating the saw. But I can say the 200 is a GREAT saw...much more guts than my 201. But I love my 192 and 201.
My 192 was a fantastic little saw, I especially like the seperate choke lever on the rear of the handle. Very simple design! I used it for a season before I gutted the muffler and adjusted the carb to my likings....now the sucker can practically outrun my stock 201! But it's unfortunately very loud, and I feel un-professional using it. I now keep it just for back-up, until I replace the muffler and return the saw back to stock settings.
My 201 is extremely depandable and reliable. It starts within a couple pulls on a cold start, and first pull on a warm start. I love it! I use a 14" bar and find it to be a very good combination. I didn't like the way it felt with the 16" bar. If I had a single complaint, it would be the switch on the handle...you have to push it a little too far forward to shut it off sometimes. I love it, and recommend it to anyone looking for a real powerhouse. The Husky climbing saw really doesn't compare to the power of the 201.
My 261 is set up with a 20" bar with a full-size 3/8" chain. It's by far the best investment I have made for my business so far. (And I've spent THOUSANDS on equipment!!) I especially LOVE how light weight this saw is for in-tree use. I really enjoy hanging 30' tops because this saw cuts so quick and is so easy and light-weight to hold onto when you go for a ride. As for ground-use, we use this saw for everything. It's VERY comfortable to run, and has a lot of power considering I'm asking a chainsaw that's designed to run a 16" .325 bar/chain to run a 20" 3/8" bar and chain combo. It feels great hanging off my saddle!
And now comes the 660....Wow! A real powerhouse!! I've got a 25" set and a 36" set for this saw. It's used primarily for felling, bucking up the trunk, and doing the stump. I haven't used it up in the tree yet, but am not looking forward to it! I bought this chainsaw when i was deciding between the 660 and 460. I eventually want to occassionally run a mill so my customers can have some lumber to build their coffee tables and other projects, so I got the 660 and don't regret it at all!! It's great and is exactly the tool for the job when it comes to cutting up big wood! It's definetly not a saw for someone cutting firewood, they should look into a 362 or 460.

That's what I run, anyone else run a similar fleet? Any suggestions for a mid-range saw?

Thanks fellas!

Are you sticking to just stihl? The best fleet is a diverse fleet. A 372xp would really fill the gap of your 660 and 261 and can be taken up in a bucket easily if your in a bucket...

only thing is about switching brands is you cant swap bars n chains as easily. i'd get a 461r for your midrange, or a 441r-cm.

No sir, I do not own a bucket, just climbing. I also have an old Husky 55 my Dad has had for years. I prefer the Stihl's for the ability to swap bars and chains. I haven't done it yet, but I can take the 20" bar off the 261 and put it on the 660 for the Alaskan Mill.

I'm not particularly brand loyal, but I just prefer the feel of the Stihl saws when I pick them up. I have used other Husky saws in the past, before purchasing each of my Stihl's, but my own personal preference was the feel of the Stihl each time. Other guys I work with are exactly the opposite, they prefer the Husqvarna chainsaws.

Just get enough saws n you wont have to do any bar swapping lol. Have a saw for every 4 inch a bar

My 192 was a fantastic little saw, I especially like the seperate choke lever on the rear of the handle. Very simple design! I used it for a season before I gutted the muffler and adjusted the carb to my likings....now the sucker can practically outrun my stock 201! But it's unfortunately very loud, and I feel un-professional using it. I now keep it just for back-up, until I replace the muffler and return the saw back to stock settings.

First, welcome. Second, why would you feel 'unprofessional' using the 192 with the muffler gutted? If it's a volume issue, I don't understand, because I'm sure the 660 is still a whole lot louder when you run that.

Youll have to find the thread, but theres one here delineating how to overcome the limitations o the 201t. Someone might have it bookmarked and will chime in.

Hey fellas,
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say Hi!
I run a landscape and tree company, and wanted to share my saw fleet and how I feel about it.
MS192, MS201, MS261, and MS660...and I'd like to add either a 362 or 460 to the fleet this coming year for that mid-range saw 25" bar for in-tree use.

First off, I've only used an MS200 a couple times for a total of maybe a dozen cuts...so I don't have a lot of time operating the saw. But I can say the 200 is a GREAT saw...much more guts than my 201. But I love my 192 and 201.
My 201 is extremely depandable and reliable. It starts within a couple pulls on a cold start, and first pull on a warm start. I love it! I use a 14" bar and find it to be a very good combination. I didn't like the way it felt with the 16" bar. If I had a single complaint, it would be the switch on the handle...you have to push it a little too far forward to shut it off sometimes. I love it, and recommend it to anyone looking for a real powerhouse. The Husky climbing saw really doesn't compare to the power of the 201.
My 261 is set up with a 20" bar with a full-size 3/8" chain. It's by far the best investment I have made for my business so far. (And I've spent THOUSANDS on equipment!!) I especially LOVE how light weight this saw is for in-tree use. I really enjoy hanging 30' tops because this saw cuts so quick and is so easy and light-weight to hold onto when you go for a ride. As for ground-use, we use this saw for everything. It's VERY comfortable to run, and has a lot of power considering I'm asking a chainsaw that's designed to run a 16" .325 bar/chain to run a 20" 3/8" bar and chain combo. It feels great hanging off my saddle!
And now comes the 660....Wow! A real powerhouse!! I've got a 25" set and a 36" set for this saw. It's used primarily for felling, bucking up the trunk, and doing the stump. I haven't used it up in the tree yet, but am not looking forward to it! I bought this chainsaw when i was deciding between the 660 and 460. I eventually want to occassionally run a mill so my customers can have some lumber to build their coffee tables and other projects, so I got the 660 and don't regret it at all!! It's great and is exactly the tool for the job when it comes to cutting up big wood! It's definetly not a saw for someone cutting firewood, they should look into a 362 or 460.

That's what I run, anyone else run a similar fleet? Any suggestions for a mid-range saw?

Thanks fellas!

I like hearing stuff like that. :clap:

Based on your first post, it looks like you're really happy with every saw you have ever bought to date. So whatever saw is your next.....I'm sure you'll like it.

Tony

440s are supposed to be available through 2013. Its only a bit heavier than a 362 but closer in power to a 460.

Thank you fellas!
Been battling the flu the last few days, stay healthy everyone!
As for the noise issue on a MM'd 192...it wasn't too bad. But it had that tone as if you were driving a NASCAR and racing against Honda's! :rock:
As for the 440/460 ideas....I've been looking at them both, and definetly want to get one or the other before they're off the shelf replaced with some kind of emission-choked junk.
I think either a 440 or 460 with a 25" bar feel much more comfortable chunking down wood rather than that monster 660 hanging off the saddle!

Be healthy and safe guys!

Back