Small ERC = Blue Bird House

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a bunch of small Eastern Red Cedar (ERC) logs, that I hate
just to burn. Thought I would make up a bunch of bird house's to
try to sell.........OK, main reason I posted this. Is their any thing
to treat ERC with, that will be outside and still keep it's color?
And not run the birds off.

Don't think it will help much, I rubbed corn oil on this one.

attachment.php

Thanks, Gary

Last edited:
Cedar is ok the way it is.It will last along time without anything.I leave mine as is with cedar.:)

Can't help about treating the wood, but I really like the spring hinge on top—very cool. Looks nice, I'd buy one.

In terms of finish something like natural waxes may be better than vegetable oils which eventually go rancid when exposure to air. I guess you will know if this affects the birds if they finally nest in it or not. You could always apply the wax over the oil.

Otherwise a real cute design.

Can't help about treating the wood, but I really like the spring hinge on top—very cool. Looks nice, I'd buy one.

I can fix you up. :)

In terms of finish something like natural waxes may be better than vegetable oils which eventually go rancid when exposure to air. I guess you will know if this affects the birds if they finally nest in it or not. You could always apply the wax over the oil.

Otherwise a real cute design.

Didn't think about the corn oil going bad........it dose have a very thin coat
maybe 2 oz. on it.

Thanks, but it's not my design......I changed very little and add the spring hinge.

See PDF below for plans.

I know cedar will last...............I want it to keep it's red color. :)

Three coats of spar urathane will water proof it and retain the color.Cedar oil is expensive,but that will work as well if coated periodicly.:)

Last edited:
Mine are made from regular cedar,not the easternred cedar.They hold up real well when put under a tree.

Last edited:
This was my first try to make a tapered post, out of real small ERC log.
Upper bird house has only been out side one day and you can tell
it's color has started to fade.

attachment.php

I think you could get away with using any type of clear stain on the outside. I have painted bird houses and that didn't seem to be toxic or bother the birds.

I used Thompson's on the one I built and it was almost white by season's end. I just sand and re-stain it every year (this is year 3). The stain doesn't last either. -- Ian

attachment.php

I can fix you up. :)

Thanks, but if I put something like that up here it would undoubtedly produce 3 or broods of stupid house sparrows. I built a wren house thinking they wouldn't be able to get in the slot shaped entrance, the squirrels chewed the hole bigger and then the sparrows came...I just took it down.

Sounds like an opportunity to me. Target attractants... My yard is a no fly zone for both sparrows and starlings. Any that are silly enough to land long enough get to eat a 22 cal pellet. I have that house mounted in a profile to the shooting window so I can take any sparrow or starling off the perch without hitting the house. I'm mostly successful but sometimes the house takes a hit anyway. The starlings are smart enough that they don't often come into the yard when I'm around.

Ian

Three coats of spar urathane will water proof it and retain the color.Cedar oil is expensive,but that will work as well if coated periodicly.:)

You can slow down the fading but in the end, there is little you can do to keep redcedar from turning gray in direct sunlight over time.

Sounds like an opportunity to me. Target attractants... My yard is a no fly zone for both sparrows and starlings. Any that are silly enough to land long enough get to eat a 22 cal pellet. I have that house mounted in a profile to the shooting window so I can take any sparrow or starling off the perch without hitting the house. I'm mostly successful but sometimes the house takes a hit anyway. The starlings are smart enough that they don't often come into the yard when I'm around.

Ian

Nope, can't do that around here. Too urban. Otherwise I would be right there with you. Funny, the house sparrows tend to thrive in the urban areas. I know they shouldn't even be here. Sometimes, survival of the fittest is hard to watch.

Great pics, and you gave me a few ideas for my cut offs from the mill.

Especially the spring loaded hinge.

Keep up the great work!!

Kevin

Took one BBH to work, sold 10 @ $12 ea, in one day.
That should buy me 15 gallons of gas, pre-mix oil
for the gas and 4 gallons of bar oil. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Back