Small gas saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to the two-bolt cheap Stihl vs.1-bolt absurdly expensive Stihl - I don't have a clue and really don't care. Doesn't have much to do with the OP's original question.

If 1-bolt vs. 2-bolt isn't important, why did you bring it up in the first place? You must have thought it had some bearing on the topic, else you wouldn't have mentioned it.

(The answer to the question: because when you insert bolts into a plastic housing, you're gonna need 2 of 'em. If you locate them in metal, for that displacement class you only need 1. In other words, Brad speaketh wisdom about clamshell saws.)

What do you mean by "trimming"?

If you're planning to simply thin out smaller trees - 6"-10" range - the 180 would be a good fit. But if you're thinking of de-snagging some larger DBH trees, you might find it insufficient.

That would not be "trimming" imo - more like thinning.....:)

Ok, So i really know NOTHING about the huskys in this range. I could not even find the homeowner line on their website. Is the 435 their smallest? It is a strato clamshell right?
Can we have some more feedback on the small huskys? What does the 435 weigh?

Watch out for those 435s. I haven't run one, but I've heard they're quite a headache.

I see

If 1-bolt vs. 2-bolt isn't important, why did you bring it up in the first place? You must have thought it had some bearing on the topic, else you wouldn't have mentioned it.

(The answer to the question: because when you insert bolts into a plastic housing, you're gonna need 2 of 'em. If you locate them in metal, for that displacement class you only need 1. In other words, Brad speaketh wisdom about clamshell saws.)

I was merely trying to compare features between the 435 Husky and 401 Dolmar - pointing out that they shared many of the same features. With one bolt bar mounting and non-adjustable oilers being common to both saws.

Al :cheers:

That would not be "trimming" imo - more like thinning.....:)

Agreed. Just wanted a better sense from the OP what the intended use would be. Especially since it's even been suggested that a $150 model might be sufficient.

(The guy's probably scratching his head down in NH's Merrimack Valley wondering what the hell kind of cage he unwittingly rattled to spur 40 posts. LOL!)

FWIW, there's a difference imo between thinning and trimming. I would much prefer trimming hair to thinning hair. :)

I would strongly advise against that. I bought my first saw when I bought my first house. Payed $150 for the saw. Craftsman 40 cc. WHAT A MISTAKE. Pay the extra, get any of the above mentioned saws.

I'm with the fat guy.......uh, I mean I agree with Fatguy. Too may years and too much grief with box store saws.

The point I was trying to make was that if he's only going to use it a couple times to trim up some dead branches, and then it's going to sit in the garage for the remaining 360 days of the year, why spend more money than you have to for what would basically be a chainsaw shaped paperweight. Obviously if he intends to use it frequently for thinning out his property, I think he should spend a little more and buy a higher end saw that will perform better and last much longer.

The point I was trying to make was that if he's only going to use it a couple times to trim up some dead branches, and then it's going to sit in the garage for the remaining 360 days of the year, why spend more money than you have to for what would basically be a chainsaw shaped paperweight. Obviously if he intends to use it frequently for thinning out his property, I think he should spend a little more and buy a higher end saw that will perform better and last much longer.

I see your point but i think that $20-$50 diff is worth it even then, I certainly don't want a chainsaw shaped paperweight that i use 5 times and it is trash.

Don't buy a new McCulloch, they USED to make good chainsaws now there junk.

When I was cutting timber in the 70s, they were pure garbage.

If you could get them going, they cut like gangbusters, but you could not get them going worth a hoot.

On principal I would not buy one if it was being given away. Ugh.

Maybe the worm has turned a few times, but not for this old log dog

Wow

OK, Dolmars are cool but I can't even get the parts to keep my Sachs-Dolmar Brush cutter going. What about a Echo CS-310 inexspensive but can I put a 16" bar on it if I need too. Also thining trees is likely what I will use it for. I have the 264F Olympyk for bigger stuff if I can get it running again.:bang:

Would a Stihl 180 be a good investment for a small trim saw for a homeowner of a heavly wooded acre in New Hampshire? Our would one of the cheaper McColloch/Husky's do the job for me?:greenchainsaw:

shortlid

Welcome to AS!

How much have you ran saws? Did you just get the property so needing a saw is a new venture in your life? I'd get the best saw you can afford. Asking questions is a good start. I know that a few guys have written saying that they wished they'd bought a better first saw.

I'd ask for a test drive to get the feel of different saws. As you use saws more you'll get a feel for what you like and what you run away from.

Be warned! If you hang out here very long you'll be looking for that 2nd and 3rd........saw+++ CAD Chainsaw Addiction Disorder.

Dan

Last edited:
Thanks

shortlid

Welcome to AS!

How much have you ran saws? Did you just get the property so needing a saw is a new venture in your life? I'd get the best saw you can afford. Asking questions is a good start. I know that a few guys have written saying that they wished they'd bought a better first saw.

I'd ask for a test drive to get the feel of different saws. As you use saws more you'll get a feel for what you like and what you run away from.

Be warned! If you hang out here very long you'll be looking for that 2nd and 3rd........saw+++ CAD Chainsaw Addiction Disorder.

Dan

My Mother has 1 1/2 acres in upstate New York I grew up on using older saws from about 13 on. My uncle owned a tree company in Vermont for 15 years, I got the Olympyk 264F De Luxe with 20" bar off him. So I used saws but this is MY FIRST HOUSE and property. My lot is tucked into and established white pine forest on a hill side in Derry. I have a lot of trees around the lot pushing 4 stories plus! The previous owner had the place nicely landscaped maybe 15 years ago but, he was forclosed on he did not do much triming for a good five years. I need to get the lot back into shape and take back a good 50 feet of lawn in the back from the saplings.:chainsawguy:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back