Small gas saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shortlid

to sum up this thread you need to buy a Stihl 200, Husky 346NE, Stihl 361, Dolmar 7900 and a Husky 3120 immediately to maintain your property. From there you can fill in the gaps as you see necessary.

theres a few 435s on ebay going for 150 new

Shortlid

to sum up this thread you need to buy a Stihl 200, Husky 346NE, Stihl 361, Dolmar 7900 and a Husky 3120 immediately to maintain your property. From there you can fill in the gaps as you see necessary.

If I had that kind of money I would get a 90cc saw just because!!!:greenchainsaw: I think this CAD thing is catching like swine flu " "have to leave board but can't"

you better get away, i got cad pretty bad ive got 7 saws in less than a year rangeing from 50-120ccs im also porting most all them when time permits me to.

Shortlid,

If you are only ging to get one saw. You need to get a decent 50 to 60cc saw for that property. 346xp, 455, ms290, ms270/280, maybe an ms361.

if i could have only one saw i think it would be 460 or 372. they do it all. and arent to heavy with a bar 18-28"s long. they would flat out smoke through the wood wearing a 20" and be versitle anywhere, then would be capable running 28" or longer bar if the job called for it.

if i could have only one saw i think it would be 460 or 372. they do it all. and arent to heavy with a bar 18-28"s long. they would flat out smoke through the wood wearing a 20" and be versitle anywhere, then would be capable running 28" or longer bar if the job called for it.

I totally agree. My choice would be my 441. My previous statement was based on a minimum of what he should have for that land. I have a similar piece of land and similar trees. I could get by with my 346xp or 028 as my only saw but I don't think I would be happy doing it with the ms180 he was originaly asking about. The 441 would be my first choice but the jump from $200 for the ms180 to $800+ for the ms441 is a big jump.

I totally agree. My choice would be my 441. My previous statement was based on a minimum of what he should have for that land. I have a similar piece of land and similar trees. I could get by with my 346xp or 028 as my only saw but I don't think I would be happy doing it with the ms180 he was originaly asking about. The 441 would be my first choice but the jump from $200 for the ms180 to $800+ for the ms441 is a big jump.

The longer this thread goes, the bigger the saws get. Before long we'll have this guy considering something that would pull the bar in Brad's LOOOOooooooong thread. :):clap:

I picked up a Mikata DCS340 at a yard sale for a song. Am very impressed with the quality. It came with a 16in bar, too long IMO. Should be a 14.
The saw was a bit of a dog in the cut, I opened up the muffler, did that ever wake that saw up, I then dissassembled the thing and did a minor port job on it, bascially widened the exhaust, didn't make as much a difference as the muff mod, but it cuts very impressivly for a small saw, it seems the only difference from the 401 is the p/c., anybody got a spare???
Does go thru the oil.
After having the whole saw in pieces it is extremely well built.
Got it sitting on the ATv awaiting a trip to the bush to give it a workout. :cheers:

Would a Stihl 180 be a good investment for a small trim saw for a homeowner of a heavly wooded acre in New Hampshire? Our would one of the cheaper McColloch/Husky's do the job for me?:greenchainsaw:

What I have not seen or missed is what DIAMETER the tress are?

I don't care if its 30 stories high, diameter drives the purchase along with how heavily its used and available dealers (in my case there is no Jonesred or Dohlmar dealer in a reasonable distance, and I will not buy a box store saw, or to put it another way, I was going to buy a Stihl as long as it was supported and they had the model I wanted.)

So, yes I am partial to Stihl saw.

You do need a high quality saw for what you are doing. It sounds like a mid range saw is where you want to start, get the most use out of, not buying 3 or 4 different saws.

If you are cutting 12 inch stuff with some to 24 inch, the MS270 is a great saw. Some think its too heavy, I have had no issue with weight working with it on long cold days when everything else is whupped, arms are fine.

I would not get the MS280 as its more money for very little gain. If you are on the edge where you need the 20 inch bar, then I would go for the MS280 (I like the 18 inch as its handier more hp to the bar, and when I need to I can cut up to 36 inch by going at it from both sides).

If you are moving a lot, and the weight is an issue (which it doesn't sound like) then I would go with the MS260. Lighter, a tad less hp, but less weight and its rated as a pro saw despite its size.

If those choices are not working for the job, then the MS361 is a great choice, and in the bar length that gets 80-90% of your diameters. Its only about 1.5 lb heavier than an MS270/280

10" max

With the small saw 16" max, the bigger stuff I found a dealer in Manchester that will fix my Olympyk 264F with 20" bar for the bigger stuff.

Back