Small Homelite - EZ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
At my saw dealer the other day for some presets - over in the used saw section (I'm in the early stages of CAD) along with the usual wald thangs and beat-to-death 029's was this beautiful little red Homelite saw. It looked just like a big saw - but shrunk. It had a (I think) 14 inch bar was about the size of my 019 and had a compression release!!!! It looked really well cared for and the paint was perfect except for on the recoil cover where its name was. I think it said EZ. I don't know much about Homelites - mostely have old Poulans and Stihls, but this little guy was screaming at me "Take me home"!!!! It looked like a 60's to 70's type of saw. I should have gotten a picture but I didn't want to look too interested - I could prolly get it for 75 bucks or so. Anybody guess what it could be? Would it be any good - it looked perfect for small limbing or yard work.

Did they look like this? Good saws with nice power for their size.

Homelitesaws007.jpg

At my saw dealer the other day for some presets - over in the used saw section (I'm in the early stages of CAD) along with the usual wald thangs and beat-to-death 029's was this beautiful little red Homelite saw. It looked just like a big saw - but shrunk. It had a (I think) 14 inch bar was about the size of my 019 and had a compression release!!!! It looked really well cared for and the paint was perfect except for on the recoil cover where its name was. I think it said EZ. I don't know much about Homelites - mostely have old Poulans and Stihls, but this little guy was screaming at me "Take me home"!!!! It looked like a 60's to 70's type of saw. I should have gotten a picture but I didn't want to look too interested - I could prolly get it for 75 bucks or so. Anybody guess what it could be? Would it be any good - it looked perfect for small limbing or yard work.

Ask them to pull the muffler cover so you can look at the piston/cylinder. Those saws will feel like they have great compression even when scored. It i'ts in good shape, then GRAB IT. They are some of the best 30-40cc class saws ever made. An E-Z is 34cc or 38cc. Super E-Z saws (and this one's probably a Super) are 41cc. They have tons of grunt and zip for such a small saw. They were never sold with LP chain. Just .375 and .325. Not many saws of that size can pull .375 like a Super E-Z Automatic. Get it and post pics in the Homelite thread in the "Stickies" section. We'll help you with any issues you may have. Those saws take the same bars as small frame Huskies (262, Rancher, etc), but with different chain DL counts.

Ask them to pull the muffler cover so you can look at the piston/cylinder. Those saws will feel like they have great compression even when scored. It i'ts in good shape, then GRAB IT. They are some of the best 30-40cc class saws ever made. An E-Z is 34cc or 38cc. Super E-Z saws (and this one's probably a Super) are 41cc. They have tons of grunt and zip for such a small saw. They were never sold with LP chain. Just .375 and .325. Not many saws of that size can pull .375 like a Super E-Z Automatic. Get it and post pics in the Homelite thread in the "Stickies" section. We'll help you with any issues you may have. Those saws take the same bars as small frame Huskies (262, Rancher, etc), but with different chain DL counts.

+1

If its a Super EZ pick it up, if not I would pass. The older EZ's are good runners but not special like the Super

I disagree with this statement...(the E-Z is still a stout little runner) I have a E-Z auto and have cut the last two days with it and it is a fantastic saw. I also have a Super E-Z but it has a scored piston:msp_mad:

$75 does seem high to me though on price. I have found a couple of these at auctions and they usually go for around the $20 range but you are buying an unkown unless it runs on the site.

They have a cool factor that no other small saw can pull off. Ohh and if you do get it, find a good pair of ear plugs......:laugh:

this summer I have picked up 2 super EZ Automatics. The one last saturday was a 1978 model in the Homelite case in pristine condition, I gave $30.00 and it had a new bar and chain! I brought it home filled with fresh gas and took it to the wood pile. I am really impressed with these little saws, as you can see from my signature line I have no real need for them but I enjoy using my "retro" saws from time to time. I am going to buy all the super EZs I can in the future, lots of saw for the money.

Steve

That's it!

Thanks for the help. I'll see what the guy at the shop can do. I don't need the saw, and don't really know why I find it so attractive. Could it be that I'm getting pulled over to the CAD Dark Side?

They have a certain classic '57 Chebby look to 'em.

I don't have one........................................................................................yet.

There is no dark side to CAD. (Only the wifey thinks so)

That's it!

Thanks for the help. I'll see what the guy at the shop can do. I don't need the saw, and don't really know why I find it so attractive. Could it be that I'm getting pulled over to the CAD Dark Side?

That style of Homie is just cool. It by design is quite nice on the eyes in the world of enginerring and yet it functions very well.

I have two xl-113 which is the bigger version built the same as the E-Z that I hope to make a runner out of. The only reason is well they just are a cool looking saw and run strong.

Latest posts

Back