Small saw for uncle-Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't get all your PPE on when you use a bow saw? I'm just going to pretend I didn't even see this!:mad2:

:biggrin:

+1 for the 445

For this bahco bowsaw I don't use ppe and I don't even have a bad feeling for one second. And I have never seen anyone use chaps, eye or ear protection with one of these.

View attachment 285775

Sorry I didn't reply sooner I was at work. I'm not disagreeing with you on that. But the smaller saw's wont run have the chain speed or ability to pull longer bars. Longer bar's increase kick back and so does chain speed. Plus if he buy's that 346 that's one less for me to buy later haha

Your right on the longer bars thats why i said to run 13" or 15".
I think everyone should run at least one 346 :smile2::smile2:

Your right on the longer bars thats why i said to run 13" or 15".
I think everyone should run at least one 346 :smile2::smile2:

This is true. Gotta love the 346's light, nimble, and power. Possibly my favorite limbing saw I've ever run.

OK, I know you said Husky only,,,, but.... How about one of the Poulan pros?
The 5020 has plenty of Husky in it, and if its just for occasional use, then why not? The money saved could go to some PPE that way. The non adjustable oiler, while an issue for some, is good for the occasional user.. less to mess up IMO

And I thought you were talking about the classic chainsaw bowsaw. Well what can one expect after a night shift...:(

I am all for PPE, but sometimes I like to make fun of the PPE police! Sometimes big boys just have to do what they want in the woods. But if you accidentally cut off your leg with your bowsaw, don't come crying to me!:biggrin:

Thanks to those with meaningful replies and not rants and off the wall crap that mixed in.

At this point I have offered my 345 (and a can of MY gas) for as long as he needs it, but I am also going to suggest a 120v electric saw for his odds and ends if he thinks he'll need to have one around. His lot is plenty small and a 100' cored should service most of it depending on where he has plug ins.

There are blades for sawzall or other brand of the same thing designed for green wood. If you have the longer stroke and orbital lever so much the better. About 12 inches long and work surprisingly well if the shoe of the saw is held up against the thing to be cut.

I hope you dont think I was being sarcastic when I opined a handsaw would be a better fit for light duty real occassional use. I was 100% serious. Sometimes I chime in here when this anything you do has to be motorized mindset shows up. Like gee, 100 feet to the maibox, do I need the v8 diesel or the v10 gasser for this ardurous trek... < now that is snarky, but judging by what I see of my fellow humans when I go into town..comparing what generic folks look like to the 50s and 60s, very broadly speaking..I have that opinion there has developed this motorized or nothing mindset..just sayin...

I have when I was younger between 20 to 30 cord done with a 30 inch sandvik bow saw. Thats all I had and used to heat/cook and do sugaring with. I did have a small chainsaw but used that only for hired on work, cutting fence posts primarily, and I used a variety of provided chainsaws for helping with commercial firewood and a couple years I did town maintenance clean up..but all my own wood for any purpose I used the bowsaw. Any decent quality bowsaw or arborist trim saw will cut like a big dog and they are a perfectly viable alternative to a cheap gas saw or a corded electric for light duty use in the backyard.

Some brands and styles to look at, bahco, silky, sandvik, and along those lines. I would avoid those cheap handsaws you commonly see in box stores, theres little to no value to them. Most likely why people dont use them much, they suck, but they never see the better alternatives either, because chinamart, chinadepot and chinahardware dont have them on the shelf. Now I did get a quality smaller bowsaw at chinamart, a fiskars, but all they had was a 16 inch, I like 24 to 36 inch better for general duties.

A decent good hand saw WILL cut and it isnt all that slow or tedious or difficult. Modern bowsaws, well built ones, not the cheap crappy ones, are nothing like the old misery whip bucksaws or crosscutsof the olden days (and I have spent some time on those as well), they are fast effective and lightweight, and a good pro level one can cost less than the cheapest new gas or electric saw.

Latest posts

Back