Smashed saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've smashed exactly 3 chainsaws so far;
One was operator error on my part; when the tree didn't go with the notch I dropped everything and did the 100 meter in .003 seconds, leaving a nice shiny Echo to fend for itself.

The other two are more embarassing, but have to do with running over them with the truck, or the trailer.

Only smashed one. Thought it was clipped to my saw lanyard. I was mistaken. The rocks below weren't forgiving. Saw go CRASH! I go $HIT!. Groundie go HAHAHAHAHA.

2 isn't bad, try 7 all at the same time.

Guys at the sawmill have 8, 046 magnums,

They just took 7 in and had them serviced/tuned up.

Guy took them out of the back of the truck after picking them up, all sitting in a row on the ground.
Bobcat driver ran over all 7 of them.

oops.

Oh yah, I bought a 747 full of 088's to get a deal, as they were flying here the plane crashed in the ocean, the only survivor washed ashore on a deserted island.
One of the 088's floated ashore, he used the jet fuel for gas, and cut all the trees on the island down and made a raft and floated back to the mainland.

I didn't smash the saw, but I let the bar and chain have it. I
misjudged a dead Cottonwood and it dragged my 346 with it
as it skidded off the stump, I ran like heII and figured my saw
was piled up. I was stupid and lucky. Powerhead was OK, bar
has a slight wobble to it. I had to pull the tree off of it with my
4 wheeler. I am on my fifth reading of the Dent book, don't ever
want that feeling again. I thought I knew what I was doing.
Look just above the gas cap, she takes a little curve. I'm sure
that others have incidents that make this one pale, but it sure
scared the crap out of me. I quess that if the ground hadn't
been frozen, the saw would have got it much worse.

An interesting aside, flat saws are a good source for pistons/cylinders, the saw was running when right before it died. Same holds true of flat sawyers...godd source of parts.

jim l ,your story reminded me of when i was young. i was in line waiting at the dump . came my time i just back into the next space and start unloading. i was in a dualy 1 ton. as i was working i happened to look down side the truck and there werea number of chainsaws all lined up and freshly runover by mua.
didnt figure it was my fault but i sure got some dirty looks, when the fella who apparently put them in the WRONG place, started gathering them up. while i didnt figure it was my mistake they was half dozen fellas there big as me ,so i figured, best just move on rather than try an explain.doubt they would h
ave wanted to understand,even if it was their fault.
i was always kinda glad it was early in the day ,and they was still sober.:)

I had a climber working above me drop a 335xp 40+' and it landed about a foot away from me while I was bent over untieng a knot on a limb we had just lowered. it basically exploded back into my face. no injury to me, and he was pi$$ed about his saw?
The check was in my name!

then when he came down and set up to cut the spar, I looked in the rear view mirror ( from the pull truck)and noticed his 395XP sitting on top the spar where he had left it.:eek:
Needless to say, he geared up and went and got his saw.

darn good climber, just having a real bad day.

Used to rent out 028's & 029's. I lost 2 different saws on the same day due to unyeilding excavator tracks. Thats one reason I'm not in the rental business anymore.:mad: talk about pancake, popped the jug right off the cases.

smashed an 036 once but I was able to fix it. I still have the saw and it runs fine:D

I think my best was a couple years ago...sold a friend a 630 Jonny and he was new to cutting firewood...so I told him I would come out with him the following weekend and do some firewood with him as he couldn't fall trees.....first tree we got to...big fir snag...approx. 26-30"....leaned the right way...no big deal...didn't even have a wedge handy...:rolleyes: didn't need it..till the wind started coming....I was watching the top and as it was going over the wind brought it back and in turn pinched the saw...spit it out...then broke off the stump and landed directly on the saw...needless to say...I did the walk of shame....and then built another saw...

Most all the saws i've smashed were do to high winds excepting one or two, got lucky last friday was cutting in 30to 40 mile gusts, like Dennis said good leaner no wedgeing, till the gust hit it, i had done said my goodbyes when it slid off a little hardwood and barely missed it. good thing too it was a ms 460 two weeks old.

I had a big poplar on the side of a mountain sit back on my 460 while doing the back cut, I unbolted my power head from the bar and took it back to the skidder and got my 066G and had to drop it the opposite direction of where I had origanly intended. Bent my bar all to he!!, only on my second chain for that bar:angry:

Back