Smoking Bow Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidehillgrowler

Stihl 056
Reaction score
I'm using a bow bar with a 056super stihl. The bow bar came from bailey's and I'm cutting very hard dead wood. The problem I'm having is the bar gets pretty hot even with the oil turned all the way up. I've worn one out and the new one I bought came from Texas Bow Bars. Wondering about sending to Chainbar up in Oregon to have it cased hardened. Any suggestions on how to make this run cooler to get more life out of it?

which saw

I haven't seen any data on oil output on saws. The bar is designed for the Stihl so I don't know if any other models put out substanialy more oil. Any thoughts from anyone out there?

The bow bar should already have a welded hard surface on it. Maybe your filter in the oil tank is clogged or the oiler is worn. But that saw should not have any problem oiling that bow.

chain

I'd check you chain for dullness. Sounds like a dull chain.:greenchainsaw:

stihl oil

First thanks to everyone for your input. I've used stihl oil and husky oil. The chain was new. The oil output looks good when you start up the saw and run it without any bar and when I'm about out of fuel the oil is also getting low. I'll check the filter in the oil tank maybe it is partially plugged. It is a 14" bow bar not a trimming or limbing bar. The bar tip is welded but chainbar co. is supposed to put a hard facing that is harder than what is on the bar.
thanks

Latest posts

Back