Snake ID Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most water snakes are mistaken for the water moccasin, either a common water snake or northern.
Probably hunting rodents in the wood pile.
In America, round pupils = non venomous
Also a "split" or double row of scales ,after the anus under neath .
No matter the species it plays no useful part in the woods nor home.

No matter the species it plays no useful part in the woods nor home.
Bill , if you don't like the danger of snakes being around the king snake might be the best solution. King snakes almost exclusively eat venomous snakes! and rodents.
Snakes also don't carry rabies or plague, rodents are are a real problem for farmers.

That's what I thought. We used to have all kinds of snakes at the lake house. Also left those black snakes alone, never had a rat problem.
That snake was keeping the rodent population down, and they carry lots of disease. There are only four venomous snakes in the U.S. learn to recognize those.

Appears to be a slick head (not triangle shaped head)rat snake.

I caught a 7 foot long one few days ago. (so as to place it in a safe place in the woods)
Had it behind the head and it wrapped around my arm all the way to my neck, like a constrictor. Had to peel him off my neck and arm. Some people think I'm crazy because I catch and release rattlers. The rattlers have always give me a free pass for some unknown reason when they should have laid the fangs to me, so I do the same for them.
I do not give copper heads a free pass.

I know some big tough men, guys that are not afraid of bears that would have messed their britches and passed out if that HARMLESS slick headed big black racer rat snake with no fangs got on them.

I still get a few copperheads around here. Killed my share of water moccasins in my life. Other than those, the only one I have seen was a rattlesnake. I don't care for any of the above. That's when I was a kid and my dad taught me how to shoot his 22 rifle that had snake loads in it then 22 shorts. He put a paper dixie cup on the ground and I had to be able to hit the bottom of it at about 7 yds.

Bill , if you don't like the danger of snakes being around the king snake might be the best solution. King snakes almost exclusively eat venomous snakes! and rodents.
Snakes also don't carry rabies or plague, rodents are are a real problem for farmers.
It is not the danger aspect it is the fact that a snake does not play any valuable role in nature. I would love to have a respectful debate on what value they bring. Although not by textbook definition I still see them as vermin and need dispatched just like a coyote.

I chuckle at the folks that talk about how snakes keep the mice population down. How many mice does a 3ft snake eat a day, a week, a month? How many mice does a adult mouse produce a month or year?

Here is a video from last week in the pasture. My doggie got schooled.

I also chuckle at how folks say snakes are afraid of humans and will retreat if given the chance.

Latest posts

Back