Snakes: Be careful out there!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtfallsmikey

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wife got bitten by a Copperhead on Saturday, right by the house in a raised bed where we grow our peppers...just getting out of the hospital today (I hope)..her right leg swollen, black and blue, can't walk on it yet...didn't find the 'lil SOB eiether...Y'all be careful out there!

wow.. hope she gets well fast..

Gald we don't have snakes like that around here..

mostly just grass or garden snakes around here....i let them alone because they eat bugs and mice and stuff.

hope the wife gets better soon.

Killed two 5' plus blacks this spring right up at the house....I know, blacks are good snakes yadayadayada BS.....The first one was slithering right past the back porch in broad daylight. He got a shovel to the head.:chainsaw:

Then the very next day, same time of day, I hear the wife screaming and I'm thinking what the hell is going on. Here its partner or the evil ba$tard reattached its head, is slithering up the back glass sliding door, apparently trying to figure a way into the house.....It received the same treatment as its evil twin......:censored: :dizzy: :censored: :dizzy: :censored:

Yes, wishing the wife well!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that about your wife and I am glad that she pulled through okay. I understand that copperheads can be very deadly!
Im glad that it wasnt my wife, I would be locked outside until I found the son of a gun and killed it!

Hope she gets better soon! I haven't seen any snakes around my house lately, but I did kill a Brown Recluse last week that was in my wood. So, watch were ya'll put your hands!

Thanks for that answer rb...I take that to mean they would rather avoid contact with people if they can help it.

That's true of most snakes...

Not so sure that is always true though....Some of these big blacks around our parts could care less you're around and as a matter of fact have come crawling out of who knows where to greet you.....:dizzy:

I've been out working on projects for hours, making noise, banging and talking etc.....Turn around and almost step on 'em...... Slither right up behind ya. :censored: :laugh:

I've never been a snake freak/wimp either.....But after some of these brazen encounters with these big blacks, I just don't much care for 'em anymore!.....:buttkick:

These things could damn near dispatch an infant!

Good luck with her recovery. Hope she's up and around soon. Man I have so many copperheads at my farm in Freestone county you have to watch out any time you go out in the late evening or night. I've already killed 3 in the yard this year( And that's just being up there 5 or 6 day's a month). Yeah I know their not aggressive, but neither am I as long as they stay out of the yard. Stepped on one barefooted about 2 years ago :censored:and that's not a good feeling.:givebeer: :givebeer:

Killed two 5' plus blacks this spring right up at the house....I know, blacks are good snakes yadayadayada BS.....The first one was slithering right past the back porch in broad daylight. He got a shovel to the head.:chainsaw:

Then the very next day, same time of day, I hear the wife screaming and I'm thinking what the hell is going on. Here its partner or the evil ba$tard reattached its head, is slithering up the back glass sliding door, apparently trying to figure a way into the house.....It received the same treatment as its evil twin......:censored: :dizzy: :censored: :dizzy: :censored:

Does anyone know of an all black snake that is poisonous? I had one latch on my boot last year in a woodpile. He was 5-6 ft long and some pretty good fangs on him. He hit my heel and hung on for dear life. I dont know if he was poisonous, but he sure scared the ####ens out of me! Took me awhile before I ventured back into that snag to cut some more.
Like you mentioned I thought all black snakes were harmless, but this guy sure was aggresive!

I hope your wife is doing well.

There is a snake in my area that is called a Blue Racer. I don't know what the correct name for it is. They will chase you but I've heard that if you turn around and chase them that they will run the other way.

It's been quite a few years ago that my son was riding a three wheeler and he was making a big loop. He said that every time he came to where the snake was that it would chase him.

Does anyone know of an all black snake that is poisonous? I had one latch on my boot last year in a woodpile. He was 5-6 ft long and some pretty good fangs on him. He hit my heel and hung on for dear life. I dont know if he was poisonous, but he sure scared the ####ens out of me! Took me awhile before I ventured back into that snag to cut some more.
Like you mentioned I thought all black snakes were harmless, but this guy sure was aggresive!

Not sure about the poisonous bit but there is several subspecies of blacks. I think a lot of people say blacks are good snakes because they're not poisonous. They do eat rodents and such but quite frankly I'd much rather have a cat around for the rodents than a family of snakes.

Blacks wont hesitate to strike/bite if confronted and feel threatened and don't seem to me anyhow, to be easily intimidated, atleast not the big ones.

We've had the 6 footers here too and they're bigger around than a beer can.....I'll take a cat and some traps around our home for rodent patrol....:laugh:

:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Sorry to hear that MT.
By far, snakes do more good, than harm--even the venonmous ones. When I'm walking, I purposefully bring home any found garter snakes to my place. Want them to eat the tasty mice.

you got that right,only good one is a dead one

Like you mentioned I thought all black snakes were harmless, but this guy sure was aggrieve!

I know there's some Cottonmouth water moccasins around here that can look almost solid black . And yes they are very poisonous and can be very aggressive!:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Sorry to hear that, those dudes are hard to see I killed two
this year on my farm! The good thing is; they are the weakest
venom of the poisonous snakes we have. That does not mean
they don't suck though!

Back