Snapped Hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laird

Nemo me impune lacessit
Reaction score
I've got some 14"-16" Hickories that snapped during a storm last July that I will be cutting down. If the picture shows up (I haven't posted a pic yet, not sure how), you will see that they snapped about half way up and the top is on the ground but still connected to the trunk. This presents a challenge ( for me anyway) on how to drop them. I would think they need to be cut to they would drop to one side or another, but the tops may be anchoring them so that they will not go over. If they don't I am toying with cutting through the hinge and using the cable on my winch to pull the base off the stump and out from under the trunk. They will either start to go over or I will just pull the trunk out from under the whole tree.

What do you guys think?

Just make your cut at the base so that they will fall to the side, from the picture it looks if you made the cut so that they fall towards the camera it ought to be an easy drop.
On the tree in the background, you may have to take out the small tree that is in the way so that it will fall towards the tree in the foreground of the pic.
I would drop the first one, clean up your wood, then drop the small tree in the way of the second one. Then drop the tree in the background.

I agree with both comments.

Fell them both towards the camera or just to the right of where the snapshot was taken. Once it starts to go over get away from it at 90* away from the direction of the fall.

Dead standing trees are notorious as widowmakers, these are no exception.

Hoping to hear back that it goes well

Thanks guys. I probably won't be cutting them real soon. I have over 1,800 tops on the ground from harvest 2 years ago that I need to work on first before they rot. Not many are hickory and I like to burn hickory - lots of poplar, oak, cherry, etc. A real mix. Some of the poplars are pretty punky already but everything else is just slightly seasoned.

1800 tops? That is a boatload of wood for sure. Cant imagine seeing that much wood on the ground at one time. I wouldnt bother knocking any else down either!

That hickory is dangerous

Even though it is going to rot standing there. Hickory gets bugs in it and then water gets in the bug holes.
I had a few pignut hickories broke over just like your shagbarks in the photos.. I used the dozer. Raised the blade high put a little pressure on it made my cut most the way through then pushed on over.. Only safe way that I could see to do it..

You said you have a winch, throw a rope up high pull your winchline up and over . Put some tension on it before you make a cut?

Only safe way that I could see to do it..

You said you have a winch, throw a rope up high pull your winchline up and over . Put some tension on it before you make a cut?

I agree make sure its a long rope or chain so that it doesnt hit your truck or what ever you are using.

Inventory

From the Timber sale notice:

403 yellow poplar
445 Sugar Maple
249 American Beech
205 Shagbark Hickory
136 Sassafras
63 Red Oak
103 White Oak
44 White Ash
50 Black Cherry
22 Sycamore
26 Black Walnut
18 Elm
13 Basswood
11 Chincapin Oak
7 Hackberry
3 Aspen
3 Silver Maple
2 Cottonwood
1 Black Gum
1 Red Maple
2 Kentucky Coffeenut
1 Honey Locust
1 Pin Oak

:chainsawguy:

Is what possible?

I didn't realize that there was this many trees growing in west central Indiana, let alone that many tops on the ground.

I'm living in the wrong state. Time to return to my birthplace. Eric J, is this possible? :monkey:

to return to Indiana? Yeah you are retired.. we have a nice little farm forsale. 27 acres two houses and a lake for 298k for sale.

I would say with 1800 tops 10 guys wouldn't get em cleaned up in time before they all go bad anyways. I would be picky and cut on the wood I liked the best and just leave the junk wood go. Those busted hicks shouldn't be to bad to drop other than keeping an eye on the top part.
Throw a strap on it like has been said and make them go sideways and you shouldn't have any issues.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back