Snellerized Dolmar 5100S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came into this thread a little late. My brother and I use the 5100s as our bucket saw. We have several and all of them after getting some hours on them have restart issues. If you work the saw hard on bigger wood in the bucket, shut it off the saw does not want to restart. We were leaning towards coil issue but after reading this thread some are indicating carb issues. I just can't get from the thread if the issues are at all related. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. Really like the saw and will "continue" to use the saw but it would be great to get this issue fixed.

I think Troll is spot on re: handling and balance. I didn't believe him intially, then I bought some 346s and sold my 5100s even though they always had more grunt - 5100 was happy with 17" 3/8", the 346 was not, but I run 13" .325" most of the time on the 40-50cc saws, so the 346 won out for me. Then this one came along, heated handles, so I'm back in the 5100 game. I think this will make a great firewood saw and falling saw, and with a longer bar, will make a great backpack saw for trail clearing work.

Heated handles isn't exactly news on those saws, my 5100SH was made December 2006...

I came into this thread a little late. My brother and I use the 5100s as our bucket saw. We have several and all of them after getting some hours on them have restart issues. If you work the saw hard on bigger wood in the bucket, shut it off the saw does not want to restart. We were leaning towards coil issue but after reading this thread some are indicating carb issues. I just can't get from the thread if the issues are at all related. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. Really like the saw and will "continue" to use the saw but it would be great to get this issue fixed.

I would have been leaning towards a coil issue as well, and more so on that model than with most others. They are known to run hot, and the cooling isn't the best.
However, I would want to rule out the simple things first, before changing the coil. The saws likely need to be "gone trough" anyway.

Hopefully @166 will chime in again....

at some point..not sure when. they had an air leak problem at the intake manifold/carb so they added the reinforcement ring
the base gasket as mentioned earlier
there was a crankshaft/flywheel replacement/update in there somewhere
there was another change to the flywheel...cant remember why though
and the air filter/carb foam deal was eliminated
there was also an update to the throttle cable of some sort
different/reduced weight piston
"and the air filter/carb foam deal was eliminated"
I bought a 5100s back in around 2007 from D&D in Salem Indiana. The first thing the dealer did was cut a notch in "foam deal" and tune the saw in wood. He claimed as the filter plugged it prevented the diaphragm from flexing properly and this was the cause of many failures in this model. I don't know but I never had an issue with mine.
Performance was not far behind my 262xp but the 5100 was much smoother. I agree with AndyShine the 5100 is the smoothest saw I have ever run.
From an old thread.

I had my neighbor time my cuts in 14inch beech. The results for two cuts are:
Dolmar 401 .325 chain Muffler Mod. 46sec.
Redmax 3800 3/8 LP chain Muffler Mod. 34sec.
Dolmar 5100 3/8 chain Muffler Mod. 25sec.
Husqvarna 262xp 3/8chain 21sec.

Carb issue usually presents itself as not holding a tune and erratic running and the hot start issue for me on these saws has always led back to a coil going south but that is assuming everything else checks out. low compression can lead to hot start issues as well as an improperly tuned carb. Best bet is to start with the basics and determine the overall condition of the saw and the cylinder & piston. Go from there.

Latest posts

Back