Snellerized Saws Re-Visits the MS241C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said before that I don't find the 241 to be light enough and would just as soon grab my 346. I thought the same thing last night when I got done. So, I grabbed the scales.

40-L.jpg

41-L.jpg

I was surprised to see that it's 1# 5.4oz lighter than my 346. Both saws are full of fuel and oil. Both are wearing 16" B&Cs. You could lighten the 241 even more with a 14" bar and/or a E Light bar, which I well may do. I'm undecided on 14" or 16". It actually balances well with the 16".
To be honest I am awaiting the new version that is supposed to be even lighter! Although it might not be so easy to mod, they have included f.e. aluminum screws, etc. So I doubt it is recomended to reuse these screws...

That's an impressive little bugger Mr. Brad, very nice work. The step by step is really neat and helpful for a guy like me who's most extensive undertaking has been a muffler mod HAHA. Gotta start somewhere though right?

But wouldn't it be the same without cutting the base? The chuck jaws are holding a cylindrical object, they don't care what the ends are doing, no? Have you ever measured to see if the face of your chuck is actually perpendicular to the jaws?

When you say that you're "less than .001" right off the bat", what are you referring to, runout or something else?
Setting the machined top of the piston against the face of the chuck is a good way to feel if it's square.
It can be slightly canted and the jaws will grab it.
By squaring the bottom you can reference it against the face of the chuck.
And you also have a reference to check the work afterwards.
Squaring the base makes it much easier.

Setting the machined top of the piston against the face of the chuck is a good way to feel if it's square.
It can be slightly canted and the jaws will grab it.
By squaring the bottom you can reference it against the face of the chuck.
And you also have a reference to check the work afterwards.
Squaring the base makes it much easier.

That makes sense.

Would it be a good idea to verify the top of the piston was perpendicular to the sides, first?

Very nice, great job Brad! One thing I would like to know is, how are the fuel settings before and after the porting. But that could only be checked with the mdg 1.
I've been interested in this too. Id like to hook one up.

Really nice job Brad.

A lot of ports in that little jug.

Those uppers look like you hit them on one side, but not the other.

Did you touch the exhaust and uppers at all?

Play with the ignition timing?

That's an impressive little screamer for sure.
The exhaust was widened quite a bit. All ports in this saw were widened and raised/lowered accordingly. This is one saw that I do not advance the ignition on.

Latest posts

Back