So I can't figure out what's easier

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffbm3

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I haven't sold a chainsaw yet in my life. I have traded a box of chainsaws for 2 great saws, and I listed one on here, but gave it to my neighbor. I guess I just can't figure out what's easier, listing here or on Ebay.

Obviously Ebay would be more for the money, but here would be based on trust. I am always hesitant of Ebay, as I am also hesitant of some of the "dealers" that are out there, that are also members here. But that's a story for another time.

So this is the question. Should I just list it here, flat rate and send it off, or should I wait and deal with Ebay and the possibility of all of the problems with that site? Opinions please?

Thanks for the time everyone,

Jason

Another option is to try your local craigslist. Be warned though if you haven't ever been there it may get expensive browsing there.

I haven't sold a chainsaw yet in my life. I have traded a box of chainsaws for 2 great saws, and I listed one on here, but gave it to my neighbor. I guess I just can't figure out what's easier, listing here or on Ebay.

Obviously Ebay would be more for the money, but here would be based on trust. I am always hesitant of Ebay, as I am also hesitant of some of the "dealers" that are out there, that are also members here. But that's a story for another time.

So this is the question. Should I just list it here, flat rate and send it off, or should I wait and deal with Ebay and the possibility of all of the problems with that site? Opinions please?

Thanks for the time everyone,

Jason

Use Ebay completed sales to determine fair market value (or a tad less). Start with your local Craig's List but state in the ad it's cash only and your price is firm. (beware, there are lots of lowballers from CL). You can sometimes do better at CL since the buyer won't have to pay freight and you won't have to pay fees. It's also attractive for buyers to see the item in person which can result in good prices. Chainsaws on CL can do quite well if they're not old X-Mart junkers. CL can take more time so talk to any potential buyers over the phone before making appointments or giving directions. (make sure they're reasonably serious)

If CL fizzles out then try here for a few days then Ebay.

Last edited:
That was easy...

I just posted it on CL, that was pretty easy. I'll wait and see what shows up.
Thanks for the quick replies.

Jason

288xp

This is the second of 2 288's that I have.

DSC07420.jpg

By the way, you guys were right

I already had someone ask about the saw from a town 2 towns away. The nice thing is that he was real up front about his need for the saw about milling and the size he needed. I steered him to something bigger than the 288, but it was nice to have the open dialogue. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jason

price????

I already had someone ask about the saw from a town 2 towns away. The nice thing is that he was real up front about his need for the saw about milling and the size he needed. I steered him to something bigger than the 288, but it was nice to have the open dialogue. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jason

how much dude???? :confused: :popcorn:

He's probably your neighbor...

thanks for mentioning it to me.

The guy who called is also from your town, I am asking for $300, but as I look at some of the flaws, I think I am going to sell this one for $250. Even with the rebuild, I am not sure if this one is worth $300. It is to me, but I have been burned pretty bad in chainsaw land, and I don't want to pass that bad Karma around.

I remember overpaying for a saw or two, and I remember what these two saws were listed for on another site when they were traded to me, and to be honest, I would have been pretty upset if I paid that much for either one of these saws.

The parts weren't bad, Gasket, Ring, Crank Seals, Fuel Filter, new Coil module leads, all for less than $60 and they are all OEM. Certainly didn't take me long to do it either, I mean the 3 and 5 year olds were out there. So all in all someone is going to make out pretty well.

We'll see if this person who already contacted me wants it, otherwise, I will end up on here. I really love both of the 288's, but what do I need 2 of them for? Part of me thinks I should just sell both 288's and the 6401 and get a nice 066/660 and be done with this nonsense. But that's the fun part of an addiction.

Have a great Friday,
Jason

Griff Old boy, $300. Would be a great price for you. $260-$288 is the fair market price on eBay. So sell it for $300 but take $275. to make the buyer feel like he negotiated. Or trade it to me for $250 worth of bars and chains. (list prices of course):cheers:

hell i was just teasing you.

i think it's a fair price.the previous poster has an excellent idea.

who is the guy in my town? PM me and i'll tell ya if i know him.

that one looks to be in nice shape for around here.

So the Flaws

So everyone has been great on here, both on the forum and in the PM's about this saw. I have included pictures of the 2 flaws that bring the monetary value of the saw down. The first is just the cover, at the front where the previous muffler melted the heck out of it. I put one of the replacement "jungle type" of mufflers on the saw. The other flaw is part of the actual case halve. It is where the top/rear screw from the rewind screws in, therefore, it can't screw in there. Never run into a problem, but it is a flaw nonetheless. That is primarily why I wasn't comfortable with the entire Ebay thing. Going back to the bad Karma, I don't want someone to get this saw and be as disappointed as the gentleman from Long Island with the 044 from California. Anyway, here's the other pic's... Thanks again everyone for your advice.

Jason
DSC07424.jpg

DSC07415.jpg

DSC07423.jpg

DSC07422.jpg

i get guys on ebay asking me silly questions.

just grin and bear it.they don't know any better.sometimes it get's the best of me.i told a guy the other night he needs to go to the dealer for a show saw.mine is a working sa,what are you gonna do? can't save 'em all.

I don't get it!

Jason,

OK, you ignore the AS Tradin' Post and you're trying to sell your 288 here on the Chainsaw forum. Why not put it in the Tradin' post? I don't get it.

You start this thread and so I go over to CL and track down your saw after 20 minutes of searching. You tease but make a prospective buyer face difficulties. I don't get it.

I figure out it's a 288, but you have 2 well know 288's. So I sent you a PM over 26 hours ago and have yet to receive a reply. You've made four posts here in the meantime, so I guess you have the capability of answering. I don't get it.

Regardless, best of luck in your quest to sell this saw,

Joat

Joat, I wanted to keep it public

Joatman, your wasn't the only PM I received, and I thought I would answer all of the questions people had in the public forum. I'm sorry you think I am selling the saw this way, I was afraid of that. I'm not ignoring the trading post at all. People have had great suggestions for me, and that's all I asked for. PM is on it's way,

Jason

Okay... Try this

Jason,

OK, you ignore the AS Tradin' Post and you're trying to sell your 288 here on the Chainsaw forum. Why not put it in the Tradin' post? I don't get it.

You start this thread and so I go over to CL and track down your saw after 20 minutes of searching. You tease but make a prospective buyer face difficulties. I don't get it.

I figure out it's a 288, but you have 2 well know 288's. So I sent you a PM over 26 hours ago and have yet to receive a reply. You've made four posts here in the meantime, so I guess you have the capability of answering. I don't get it.

Regardless, best of luck in your quest to sell this saw,

Joat

Joat, If you think I am ignoring the trading post, PM me your address, and I will send you the saw. If you like it, send me a check for what you think it is worth. There, that should take care of it.

Jason

This is going to be interesting. Please let us all know what he thinks it was worth!:popcorn:

Back