So I picked up this old Dolmar, what the hell is it exactly?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmars are very scarce around me. Rarely seen for sale. Some places sell Makitas. I received a 112 (I think). Too many parts gone to make fixing it up worthwhile.

I don't think I've ever put my hand on one. Good score Mark

It just shows how things were different back then, like I said Dolmars were not seen around my town and the immediate area but then John knows of a dealer who sold some a hour away.

Almost all the dealers here are industrial supply places and big box stores which tells me the saws are an add on and thy likely haven't been selling too many. Not many small engine guys. Here all Makita dealers now.

I believe he might be looking for the dual oiling channels the SI had for different bar patterns, the guide bar plate on the SI has a much larger opening to accommodate both channels. Pretty slick.
E086AC58-C36D-4AF9-A771-D649EB3E8871.png

You know I seem to remember now hearing about this changing bar mounts a long time ago.

What is the other bar patterns that was used? Looking at the IPL for the 120SI it don't list any other bar studs for it. What other bars would be used that still used the small 8mm studs? I'm not so convinced yet how slick that is or not. Partner had something like this on the 100cc saws that only required changing the bar plates to redirect the oil for different bar types. For example oiling the 276 Type Mac bars on a PM1000 They used ring type stud spacers on the 9mm slot bars.

Without changing anything on this a D176 bar could be used and you can still get up to 36" bars in that mount. The slot is basically the same size and the D176 used a adjuster hole that can be oiled through and me used for the Mac's. The adjuster hole will also line up and oil the small husky type bar channel.

This keeps getting better as we go and I think I'm starting to get a handle on whats what with this saw. I keep going back to the IPL's and finding out more.

It seems the 120 saws could have come with the metal or plastic tanks, Plastic on the Super and regular 120's after a SN break. This saw does not have the SI type case from what I pictured and what the IPL shows.

So at this point I'm leaning to it being a 120 Super that someone put the complete SI fuel system on it ( carb, fuel pickup/vent assy, choke lever ) and maybe the muffler too as it had a aluminum plate/gasket on it only shown on the SI model IPL.

View attachment 604006

That’s a real coincidence , I took an old guy some wood the other day and he gave me this . Runs too .
111 is the model , any good ?

Yes its a very good saw. Only real issues are that they can brake the chainbrake pivot point on the case is they are dropped and this is very hard to fix as it is just a small casting. Strong mid size saw that cuts bigger than its specs and is very well made.

Mark I agree that your saw is a 120 super which is basically a 120si but with a standard carb instead of the injection circuit carb but has had the later si stuff retrofitted. Its got the smaller falling spike and oilway set up of the pre si saw. Basically they have turned it into a si as the super and the si had the same cylinder.
Very strong and well made saw. The later ones have the two option oilway in the case and bar plate (a fork in the road type arrangement as shown in the IPL). Best bar is the husky small mount which is getting harder to find in 3/8 pitch but plenty still around.
Most people are surprised by the 120si if they have not used on. Great torque but good revs when tuned well and very strongly put together.

Sorry I said I get confused and might add I forget stuff. :laugh:

I wouldn't go out of my way looking for a 152/153 myself. Now a Super 133 is worth finding as well as the 143.

I agree with this. 143 is the second most desirable usable Dolmar behind the 166 and to be honest the 143 is better for most things. 95cc that seems bigger. 133 is also good but loses 10cc for the same weight - both are always worth picking up if you come across them.

Mark I agree that your saw is a 120 super which is basically a 120si but with a standard carb instead of the injection circuit carb but has had the later si stuff retrofitted. Its got the smaller falling spike and oilway set up of the pre si saw. Basically they have turned it into a si as the super and the si had the same cylinder.
Very strong and well made saw. The later ones have the two option oilway in the case and bar plate (a fork in the road type arrangement as shown in the IPL). Best bar is the husky small mount which is getting harder to find in 3/8 pitch but plenty still around.
Most people are surprised by the 120si if they have not used on. Great torque but good revs when tuned well and very strongly put together.

By the looks of your signature, you could probably tell me what the proper no load speed is suppose to be on the 120. This one is a bit touchy on the high side and I'm probably not used to the sound of it either...

I agree with this. 143 is the second most desirable usable Dolmar behind the 166 and to be honest the 143 is better for most things. 95cc that seems bigger. 133 is also good but loses 10cc for the same weight - both are always worth picking up if you come across them.
I had a 133 once, it was the first older 85cc saw if found that could give a Poulan 5200 a run for its money. Just couldn't fall in love with it though, I despised it having that 14mm bar mount, so I let it go to someone that really wanted one. I would pick another up if the conditions were right.

Should be 12500 no load and 8500 under load. I would always advocate tuning these in wood and looking for clean in the cut with a clear 4 stroke when not under load - you are better to run them a little rich as while you can get meteor pistons you can't get cylinders (closed port Mahle). Also on si's that have sat for a while the little nipple which closes of the injection circuit can go hard and not seal fully. This means you tune it with extra fuel coming in and then after a couple of tanks and maybe sitting with some fresh fuel in the carb, the nipple regains its suppleness and seals things off and you are now running lean. The dolmars seam to have a louder more lopping sound to them than modern saws.

Yes I agree. I like to tune all of them in wood and have already done so with the 120, but like I said it sounded different so just thought putting a tach on it would just be a good idea to double check it.

The rubber tip on the injector needle on this one was plenty soft as I had it out already and like I already said, the problem with this saw was that the injector valve itself was not seated fully in the carb. This one has the "A" carb where the valve is just press fit into the carb body. Probably not the best setup as the IPL's show other attempts at securing the injector valve to the carb body.

Hello Mark,ever get that old Poulan I sent you running?
I have a 120SI and love it!But you schooled me on the changeable bar pattern,I did not know that !
Thanks.
RR

Hi Ray, with some effort, yes they both run now and run good. I'm glad to have them. There is a video on youtube of the Poulan 86 running.. Ted dropped off a bar to me, thanks a lot for that.

So far it seems I done good picking up this Dolmar.

I run a 24" on mine. You can get up to 32" on some old bars. How sent me a template from his and I had some spikes rough cut and I finished. Lee may have gotten some spikes in a box I sent him.
cffdc6c7763e82625a3494dcd9f16651.jpg
5c15d2f76c983e9b396c1f878054d3fe.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Those turned out good.

Back