So I'm curious, what do you guys do for a living?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm currently a product analyst for Ocean Marine insurance which deals with anything from boat builders, marinas, all the way up to international cargo shipments (including saw shipments), i'm also a licensed casualty rep, i did auto accidents before that as well as a property back up for when the storms hit i went out after. (so if anyone needs insurance advice feel free to pm me). and before that i was in the computer support staff mind you all the above is at the same company. funniest part is my degrees are in cellular, molecular and physiological biology and general psych.

on the side i do work on anything with an engine, clearing land and doing building projects when needed.

I am 47 years old and have worked desk jobs since college -- currently a procurement manager for a telecommunications manufacturer / integrator buying professional services in support of our products and service offerings.

I got into chainsaws as I was tired of buying firewood from local sources, which evolved into acquiring more saws to feed my tinkering habits.

BTW -- interesting to see the different walks of life represented and the breadth of life experiences that makes up the AS member roster. Which by comparison mine is quite vanilla. Wait -- did I include I was a rescue diver and experimental aircraft test pilot?

Not many tree workers in here so far (at least this thread).. but a few.

Look at my avitar.. tells most of the story.

Been in tree service for over 30 yrs.. own and operate tree service company.

General arborist work.

In winter months mostly storm damage and tree removals though.

I have sawed a few trees down but I do most of my "tree service" after the tree has hit the ground!

33 years old, been a computer aided designer for automotive trim components for 12 years now. Hobbies include tearing things up, then fixing what I destroy, be it engines, buildings, whatever....:msp_tongue:

CAD annonymous

49 and happy, with Jesus, that is. :) Not so much with our leadership and big corporations.
I'm unemployed at the moment, a toolmaker by trade. Started at 17. Worked 30 years in three factories, all have left the country. Delphi being the largest and greediest (and last).
Started cutting when I moved into my house with two fireplaces in '91. Been loving it ever since, 'cept when I "have" to get out there and bust up some wood in the sleet and rain. Heh, my bad!
Bought Husky new, and I seem to lean toward Husky ever since. I have Mac, Poulan, Homelite, and Pioneer, but the Huskys still get the most use.
Love John Dears :cool2:
Thanks to all the vets that have put in the time and their life on the line for us. :msp_thumbup:

in my 50s, mechanic for a utility company.like my job,lots of variety
get to work on everything from golf carts to 60 ton cranes.Do not care for the corporate lunacy.Found AS bought 2 dolmar chainsaws,love cutting wood with them for our place in northern Mi .
The 7900 is a light saber!

Ed
54 hope to make it to 55
Retired Granite, Marble and Stone installer.
Tree removal and Firewood Business now.
Can't seem to get enough fishing, hunting, diving and prospecting in before each winter comes along.
Did I mention I hate SNOW!
:cheers:

Fifty something............I think......maybe.
Did Crpyto Secure Voice type work for DOD and NSWC.
Quit and moved to the mountains to raise a bunch of kids,their all growed up now.
I have the little one in my lap in the avatar to raise now.She's my fishing, grasscuttin', firewood fetchin' and football watchin' bud.
I play with Stickers full time and like anything that smoke's and is loud !!!

59, former tool&diemaker, now, 38yrs later, a prototype machinist in the R&D dept of a medical device manufacturer. Always loved tinkering and chainsaws are a fun hobby, also, love the smell of 2stroke exhaust in the....well, anytime! Cut and split wood for heat, about 15 cords/yr.

I'm in my 50's, worked in the aviation industry most of my life and the last 15 yrs have been in mission aviation in an administrative capacity. I have been able to see much of the world, traveled extensively in the USA and Canada and worked in places from Alaska to the gulf coast to Timbuktu. I enjoy what I do as I need variety and my current position provides a lot of it. I have in addition to flying and fixing airplanes also worked on a multitude of equipment and do a bit of very part time tree service. We heat our house 100% with wood and I have the usual old toys such as trucks, tractors, antique cars, too many projects and have been fighting off CAD to the best of my ability. My son is heading off to West Point this summer and I am trying to spend as much time as possible with him and his brother. Two Valedictorians in consecutive years. Guess they take after their mom.

Retired AT&T guy. 33 Years was enough. Chainsaws have always been a fascination. Gotta find something to do for the next few years to make some extra money. Grew up in the house painting business. Maybe I'll do that for a while.

Senior Computer hardware tech, (networking added in along with everything else. ) Run a small shop in support of a Computer Science
Dept. Been here for 25 years so far. For the 4 years prior I was regular Army, Messing around with saws and small engine repair to make a few bucks and keep busy. (and to upgrade my personal saws. )

49 years old and pretty much a jerk of all trades. I say jerk because once people find out you can do something, you are the one on the spot when something actually has to be done.

All kidding aside though, a couple years back I lost my job as a papermaker of 24 years and it wasn't easy staying afloat. I do some things that some people here claim you can't make money at, I buy/sell used saws and I also sell firewood. The one great thing about the chainsaw deal is that you get to handle and try all the saws you ever wanted to and then pass them on.

I do just about anything I can get for work that is legal and turns some coin. Once the word is out that you do odd jobs, the phone rings occasionally for that.

This last winter I got back into snowplowing and we actually got a fair amount of snow and I turned a profit. Imagine that.

If the right vehicle comes along for the right price, I'll grab it and try to make $500. or so if I can.

Insurance is the kicker, I have been struggling with keeping a policy I can afford.

I actually enjoy most of the work that I do, that's real rewarding. I have no one directly over me telling me what to do, that's also rewarding.

Last edited:
My son is heading off to West Point this summer and I am trying to spend as much time as possible with him and his brother. Two Valedictorians in consecutive years. Guess they take after their mom.

My FIL went to West Point. I didn't know much about the Academy before I met him. You should be proud of your son for making it in there (as I'm sure that you are). From what I know they only take something like 8 or 10 percent of the applicants each year. Congrats to him and to you!:cheers:

My name is James started out working for my Grandpa Feedlot/Farming, went to work for Cummins Diesel, then went to work as a Natural Gas Reciprocating Engine Mechanic.

Last edited:
Pipe welder in mostly nuclear power plants. Been doing it 10 years now. Cut a few trees in my spare time and used to play with diesel trucks.

I'm 41 and own/operate my own welding buisiness (99.9% TIG). Many years in aerospace and semi conductor as a welder and supervisor. Also in the Army Guards as an electrician with 160th engineers but training for Afganistan as convoy security.

53 years old, 32 years in the glass and glazing-storefront construction industry. Want to slow down now, winters seem colder and summers seem hotter than my early years. I've seen buildings I glazed in the late 70's and early 80's torn down and rebuilt to something different only to be glazed again by me. I own four saws and cut firewood to feed an inefficient masonry fireplace. Heats the family TV room well enough though. Loving wife of 29 years, three boys, and a dog Sadie who could be considered my fourth child. It does seem the median age on this site is approaching 50. Go seniors!!

Back