So... it felt early

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been using up my stockpiles of Hurricane Sandy pine. Wet and muddy don't make for a whole lot of landscaping work this time of year. Last year seemed about the same, the new year came in with a wallop.

Are you talking face cord or full cord? I'm a fair bit north of you and I would guess I've maybe at the most used a full cord.
What's a "face cord"?? :D

Yeah, I know where Eau Claire is... do you heat the entire house 100% with wood?? You might be surprised if'n ya' do a little researching, the difference in temperature runs about 2° or 3° between you and I... but the difference in wind closer to 15 MPH. For example, just pullin' numbers from a web site, you're supposed to be warmer than us today; our low this morning was 23° with a predicted high of 37°... your low was 29° with a predicted high of 39°. But the big difference is the wind; ours is blowin' out'a the northwest at 18 MPH, gusting to near 30... yours is blowing 5 MPH, gusting to 12 (12 MPH is a gust??... heck, that's a dead-calm day here). I'll use way more wood when the wind is blowing 20-30 MPH than I will when it's blowing 5-10 MPH... way, way more.

There's a lot more to local climate than how far north or south you are; plenty of these guys out east live further "north" than you or I, and rarely see the extreme temperatures we do (at least not for the length of time we do... such as days or weeks on end).

What's a "face cord"?? :D

Yeah, I know where Eau Claire is... do you heat the entire house 100% with wood?? You might be surprised if'n ya' do a little researching, the difference in temperature runs about 2° or 3° between you and I... but the difference in wind closer to 15 MPH. For example, just pullin' numbers from a web site, you're supposed to be warmer than us today; our low this morning was 23° with a predicted high of 37°... your low was 29° with a predicted high of 39°. But the big difference is the wind; ours is blowin' out'a the northwest at 18 MPH, gusting to near 30... yours is blowing 5 MPH, gusting to 12 (12 MPH is a gust??... heck, that's a dead-calm day here). I'll use way more wood when the wind is blowing 20-30 MPH than I will when it's blowing 5-10 MPH... way, way more.

There's a lot more to local climate than how far north or south you are; plenty of these guys out east live further "north" than you or I, and rarely see the extreme temperatures we do (at least not for the length of time we do... such as days or weeks on end).
Yeah I heat only with wood. I don't care for wind so I'm glad I live where I do. Last winter I used about 4 cord total, this year I hope to get that over 6 once I get to burning in my shop. Have about 30 cord here and a lot more cut in the woods.

I agree on the wind. It is always windy here and even with a good 100 yr old Norway spruce windbreak, I still use a lot more wood on windy days.

Back