So it has come to this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Loaded up yesterday to continue taking apart a big maple (36" butt log). Who would a thunk that with two almost new top-line, pro-grade saws (ms362 and ms441CM Magnum) I would come home without every cutting anything.

Left house to PUllman, WA to pick up 5 chains (22 mile) thence to the site (18 miles).

I had used both saws on that maple on Wed, down to a couple more bucking cuts and then noodling. 441 sounded odd as I set it down. Yesterday tried to start it and could barely pull it by standing on a 1x4 stuck throuigh the handle. Could not pull it over one compression until I tried the decomp valve. By really "mannin up" I managed to get it to fire sand run a few cycles but not long enough to grab the throttle. the 441 with Mtronic carb does not have a fast idle setting like most stihls do on the combination lever. Finally gave up on it and decided dto resort to the MS362 with 28" and 24" bar to get some work done. Half an hour with that and I never got a 'pop' out of it. Obviously wasn't firing as it wouldn't even kick the decomp vavle off.

Surrendered to my fate and took both saws back to PUllman. Mecanic thought it would be something simple with the 382 and spent about 15 minutes in the back room with it. Came out said no go and he was off duty for the next two days. So I was down for a minimum of 3 days.

Today I decided to go back to the site tomorrow and work on de-brushing trees I have down and waiting attention. Dug into the back of the shop for the old, old MS310 and MS210. Both fired right up. Dunno if I'll even use the 210, it was my limbing saw back when), I'll use either of my two top handles Stihl ms193T and Husky T435. The 310 is, or rather was, good for up to a 24" bar but he is old and tired so...

Lots of fuel problems lately, here too, At least I have an old endloader that will accept 78 octane gas and has 6 to 1 compression. All the waterlogged garbage gas goes in that and it doesn't miss a beat.

Last saw I fixed it looked like a blue smoothie coming out of the tank.

I believe firmly that saws breathe and when you store outside they draw moisture with heat/cool cycles. Best to keep them in a case with silica packets in it or in a humidity controlled garage.

I hate when stuff like that happens. Plan on getting bunch of work done and the equipment goes to crap. Got a little 40cc Pouland given to me, wasnt getting any gas and a look inside the tank showed why. Fuel line completely gone. Just a filter laying in the bottom. Put on new fuel line and saw fired right up. Chain had been filed and rakers cut almost off, enough so that the chain would grab in the wood and stall the saw. New chain and a plan to take the saw camping with me. Not to be, had a few doughty pine logs that needs moving so I pull out the Pouland and start cutting. Started out really well with the new chain. Made 3 or 4 cuts and saw starts loseing power until it just shuts off. Wont fire back up or even hit a lick. I am guessing the carb is gummed up, but it will have to wait until I have more time to fool with it. I got 4 other saws to put together, all junk in a box I bought, but the parts are there. I might getroundtoit when the summer heat hits and I can work in my basement where it will be cool..

Just spent $58 getting my tiller worked on. Had it apart twice since then. I have fought it for the last several years. Troybilt Redhorse with 8hp Kholer. Bought the tiller used and damn gas had eat the fuel line off. I cleaned the tank and carb. New fuel line and even added a inline filter. Runs fine for a little while, then its take the carb apart and clean. Cant figure where all the crud is coming from. Last time apart might have fixed it, cranks with one pull and last until I get thru tilling. Last year I took the needle and seat out while in the garden. Big mistake. I put the little needle in the corner of my mouth while I was screwing in the seat. Now being a snuff dipper, I had to spit, Of course I spit that little needle out with the spit. $18 later, Tiller back to running. Lesson learned, dont work on tiller in the garden, dont put little parts in my mouth while dipping snuff, and little parts in loose dirt are hard to find.

That was a surprise. Got out to the site and laid into noodling that humongous butt log. Only had to make a couple bucking cuts, rest was all noodling. 310 laid into the job and chewed right through. Rather slow though, my ear says 310 is several thousand rpm slower than the newer saws. I was done and outa there in 2 hours. I had expected to be there all morning. Back in the morning with the truck to start hauling. More noodling also, those green maple blocks weigh like pig iron. Should ber at least 2 full loads weight wise but it'll look like only half loads by volumn.

That sucks. Two saws, same day, I'd be looking at my fuel. Common denominator...
I had my 170 just up and stop running. Would fire on choke then nothing. Then my wood splitter quit running. Took it into the shop, turned out it had water in the carb. I had dumped the last little bit of mix in the splitter so I could mix a new batch. I think I left the small can sitting next to the splitter and we had a down pour over night. Didn't think that much water could get in the tiny spout, but it must have. None of my stuff runs good on water.

Finished that maple today except for a small pile of limbs - truck tires were getting pretty 'squished'. Stopped by the dealer to check on the saws "I haven't looked at them yet (he has had them for 3 days). I'll check back tomorrow and if he still hasn't touched them I'll pick them up and take them to the dealer in Potlatch, Id (60 mile round trip). I did ask him to bring me the 20" bar/chain off the 362. The 310 saw will be a lot happier with that short bar.

Retrieved both saws from the PUllman dealer and took to Potlatch. Quick look solved both of them:

..operator error (read 'operator stupidity). Stihl MS362 apparently was nothing more than a flooded condition but that should have cleared as much as I pulled on it:

Stihl 441 - chain had jumped the sprocket causing it to rub on case making saw hard to pull. In all the fooling around I did that day in the field I never once thought to look at that. It also explains the 'odd sound' it made when I shut it down that day.

Mtronic carbs. I checked with the dealer. Yes, there is no 'high idle', the start position is on the run setting means they start at idle. He did say that holding part throttle (somehow) while cranking helps. I am going to figure out some sort of clip that will hold part throttle if I have regular problems.
At 83 I am not quit up to holding a saw in one hand while pulling with my little finger :)

Anyhow "Back in the saddle again..." and off to put down another huge old willow tree in the morning weather permitting.

Ugh. Frustrating!
That kind of thing drives me nuts, and it’s even worse when it turns out to be my own fault.
But I sure love my new 660! Starts on the first or second pull every time.

My 441 is almost as reliable - still hasn't cu t a lot of wood yet, mostly use it for felling. 362 is the go-to.

Ugh. Frustrating!
That kind of thing drives me nuts, and it’s even worse when it turns out to be my own fault.
But I sure love my new 660! Starts on the first or second pull every time.

My 27 YEAR Old Husky 266XP starts First pull almost every time, I will Forgive it an Occasional Second pull, after the RARE Third pull, I am checking the Kill switch (yep done that:innocent:) if that's Good, then I'm checking the fuel tank, yep done THAT TOO :dumb2:)

Doug :cheers:

My son has a Volvo and stops running on him. his buddy drives a wrecker and tows him to shop. they start checking it out no fuel pressure, must be fuel pump. get new pump pull back seat remove old pump look inside , no gas. baaahaaaa big dummy.
I think we all have done stuff like that.

My son has a Volvo and stops running on him. his buddy drives a wrecker and tows him to shop. they start checking it out no fuel pressure, must be fuel pump. get new pump pull back seat remove old pump look inside , no gas. baaahaaaa big dummy.
I think we all have done stuff like that.

I had the pu towed to town to mr. fixit. Refused to start after haveing been workingwith it all morning. Yep, out of gas...with a full tank in the reserve.

Also. No start on the log splitter, check plug - very bad. To town for plug, installed. still no start, check fuel, yep, plenty in tank. Hook up an tow it to twon after calling them an telling them I was bringing it in and whe. Get to the shop, back in, unhooking hitch and notice this odd wire laying innocently next to the plug. Look up and see Mr. fix it an one crew member watching from the shop.

Latest posts

Back