so it is true, not just a myth!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterarbor

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
there is an ad on columbus craigslist in the farm and garden for sale section where a guy is advertising that he'll cut down trees for free if he can keep the wood. i tried to upload it but it said the file is invalid. so that's where the homeowners get this stuff!:dizzy:

We have companies advertising around here that will remove trees for free if people have 20 or more and the lumber is good.
:laugh: I deal with loggers often (and with the landowners who are sometimes dumb enough to fall for their smooth talk). That doesn't surprise me in the least. I could hear it now "Well no mam, these logs aren't really worth anything...but I can cut down those 4 if you let me take just a few from back at the woods so they can pay their way out of here."

I've seen Black Walnut trees up for auction. Yes you get to buy the tree then cut it down and haul it all away. People often believe their black walnuts have big value. Is this true?

there is an ad on columbus craigslist in the farm and garden for sale section where a guy is advertising that he'll cut down trees for free if he can keep the wood. i tried to upload it but it said the file is invalid. so that's where the homeowners get this stuff!:dizzy:

Basically there is a market for ANYTHING. I can see how we could get POed at some of the stuff we see pertaining to our industry but there is someone out there who wants tree stumps right now.
I know a guy who advertises for free tree removal( you think I am dangerous- see this nut) and of course if the logs are good he will pay you. Actually his ad reads " buying standing timber" he went to school for it and all. He did a job for me and saved me tons when he came to take a stack of logs as big as a double wide. He moved them from the back to the street and brought down a log truck, when done he says" give me a week or two and I will send you a check". He also will pick up my firewood if I want.
See, if I could I would respond to those ads that state " free bushes/ shrubs" .. How many of you have removed a nice yew and chipped it because it was more cost effective than digging it? I understand that, I really do because I lay waste to tons of them but always think " that is a lovely bush it would look nice in my yard"; however that is not what we do is it? actually I have saved a lot of shrubs by talking the people into letting me prune it they say" Is that the same bush?".
Pardone' the digression, There is someone out there who fits the bill for a certain odd item and of course there is somone who wants you to remove an old oil tank from a crawlspace; your payment is that you can have it when you are done. We know what is going to happen so laugh if you think it funny and if you need it go get it.
I have dump sites from craigslist all over, some want good wood, chips or even fireplace size pine logs. I sell split wood but the rest I just get payed to get off the property so it works for me.
Some people are cheap, yes that is true, and if they can get what they want then all is fair because whoever agreed to take out that oil tank( if anybody) should know what he is getting into, if not he had better learn. The guy who wants it gone stands a good chance of major problems of course.
I answered an ad for a free shed( always do) so I looked at it and of cousrse there was a good ammount of work involved. I told the guy all this and we agreed that I would snake it. All I had to do was unbolt it from the slab, brace the bottom,and call Prontow (get it?) to put it on his roll back for a buck fifty. I have a few decent sheds that I got on my property for around 200.00/ 300.00 and a some labor. Turns out some idiots destroyed this one by trying to manhandle it into a Lincoln. Oh well, there will be others.
If you see an ad for " yard work 8.50 per hour" an smart man would assume that they are looking for some kid and not a pro. Some men know that a used oil tank is filled with sludge and for scrap it is worth about 18 bucks, some men might love old oil tanks enough to go get it.
It is not nice to see an ad that says" carpenter needed must have all tools and truck 10.00 an hour I agree and that does piss me off. But that is the way it goes. Consider yourself fortunate enough to have the brains not to bite on it or the problem of needing to bite on it.
The idea behind these absurd post is just to see whats out there. Who knows? Ther was a guy who had an ad" clean up yard 1000.00" Anyone of us would look at the job and say its going to take 3. The guy learned his lesson from all the response he got repproaching him but he still tried. Whatever, if the shoe fits wear it, if it don't fit anybody it will stay on the shelf.

I've seen Black Walnut trees up for auction. Yes you get to buy the tree then cut it down and haul it all away. People often believe their black walnuts have big value. Is this true?

Black walnut is a VERY RARE and almost exstinct tree which is sought by only the finest cabinet makers and wood workers, most likely worth more than gold. One twisted 2' diameter 10 ' piece will bring swarms of people bidding like it was the stock market. Make sure you clean up when you are done.

Guys do that here to. Very selective I would guess but it seems fair.

Black walnut is a VERY RARE and almost exstinct tree which is sought by only the finest cabinet makers and wood workers, most likely worth more than gold. One twisted 2' diameter 10 ' piece will bring swarms of people bidding like it was the stock market. Make sure you clean up when you are done.

i wonder if that's different than what we all call black walnut around here, which isn't all THAT rare.

i wonder if that's different than what we all call black walnut around here, which isn't all THAT rare.

Really? do you have some? I hear some people kill for it I have to chain mine to the ground.

But to be honest- there are some guys who do a small woodworking operation who would be intrested in an offer like that. If they have the means....

They are not all that rare here either. People often complain about the mess and the squirrels that live in them. They pack walnuts everywhere they can! So what is a 2' diameter log 10' long worth? When I did land clearing if there were walnut or cherry they would mark them so we would leave the logs.

Black walnut is not at all rare in Missouri. So common, in fact, that the two veneer mills nearby won't buy the logs from you if they think it is a "city" tree. Part of that argument is that they mostly buy only from the lumber harvesters, not the tree trimmers.

I often get asked by a customer if I would take their walnut tree down for the value of the wood. I counter with this: I'll give you a quote to do the tree, saving the lumber. I'll charge you $$$ for hauling the logs to the veneer mill, and you can keep the check they give you.

So far: no takers.

We have a sawmill along with our Tree removal buisness. This works great, but you would not beleive how many people call us and expect us to come take down a tree leaning over the house and a power line for free thinking we want the log( worth about 60.00). Black walnut is the worst, people think its made out of gold. We used to offer a discount but now we just have a no pay for anything policy, and if anyone else is stupid enuff to pay for a tree, We say have fun:hmm3grin2orange:

Start another thread ?

We have a sawmill along with our Tree removal buisness. ...

I am glad you brought that up. I have been looking at various mills for a long time, and I haven't yet found a good way to make it pay for itself.

Apart from the ready source of good wood, how do you make money with it?

Do you have any opinions on the various brands & types of mills?

Last edited:
I should Also say Black walnut is our 3rd best selling wood 2nd is red elm and basswood and i'll let you guys try to guess what # 1 is. I bet no one gets it. Ill post back with the answer.

I am glad you brought that up. I have been looking at various mills for a long time, and I haven't yet found a good way to make it pay for itself.

Apart from the ready source of good wood, how do you make money with it?

Do you have any opinions on the various brands & types of mills?

Well: where to start? We have a timberking 1220, and it's a good mill I don't have any other experience with other companies. But i've heard woodmizer is good too. We bought extensions and it can cut 28" wide and 26 feet long. The only draw back is it's manual, meaning you have to crank it though the log by hand opposed to the hydrolic versions that cut for you.

We cut every thing from mantles to table tops to planks for trailer beds. We cut old powerline polls for a timber framer: we've even built a small cabin with it, cuting 8" X 8"s and lincon loging them up.

Start small, you can always upgade and if you plan on drying you need a kiln or a shed to air dry it in. Drying the wood is the worst part it takes forever and you lose wood to cracking and warping.
I hope i answered some of you questions i'll post some pics of things we make out of trees we cut down.

Thats the best part you always have wood to make stuff with.
brook pederson

Walnut is not rare at all. It is fairly common in the right part of the country. Not gong to find many in the mountains.

Having said that, high quality logs can bring good cash. GOOD saw logs bring about $1 per board foot on the stump, veneer brings about $8-$10 per board foot. A lot of logs are no better than pallet logs which are closer to $0.15 per board foot.... As has been said above, most mills aren't interested in dealing with the metal that is common in yard trees regardless of species.

I should Also say Black walnut is our 3rd best selling wood 2nd is red elm and basswood and i'll let you guys try to guess what # 1 is. I bet no one gets it. Ill post back with the answer.
My first guess for most places would have been oak but that is too obvious for you to say "I bet no one gets it"...

I'll go with maple as my guess.

Latest posts

Back