So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
What is funny is the idea that a 200 year old tree all of a sudden needs lightening protection. Where were you 190 years ago?
At ten years old why would it need it?:D:

Now is when height makes it a risk, and size and age make it an asset worth investing in. Not funny to me, very serious business buying insurance for a valued specimen. :angel:

Pruning... BASAL pruning.

;)

Just like I did to a couple of 75' firs today. Ahh, it's sooo nice to get notch'n'drops once in a while.

I think the only real stumbling block (in their minds) for most of the do-it-yourself types is what to do with the mountain of brush they'd have to deal with... elsewise more would try it.

I gotta tell ya... it took three full truckloads in the chiptruck just to handle the bush from those two; I can't imagine how many utility trialer loads that would equate to!

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Yet another canditadte for crown reduction!
Potshots 3, Ideas 0; the Maaster is on a roll! And the spelling has gone the way of the content. The lights are out in the attic, Mike, better check the fusebox. It's right behind the pink boards. ;)

Ahh, it's sooo nice to get notch'n'drops once in a while...It's rare that we pro's get an easy one"

Careful Mike, you'll disconnect your shoulder patting yourself on the back that hard. Yeah, I really feel like a boner-fried arborist when I lay a log on the ground.:rolleyes:

If Norway maples are so familiar they've bred contempt in some in MA and WI, what does that have to do with CO?

Kenn, thanks for posting a new thread on your work with that tree; this thread's been hijacked by the AS razzmatazz potshot posse! :eek:

I Tell me why a valuable tree that is to tall, can't be crown reduced to the height of surrounding trees to prevent lightening attraction.
Fair question.

1. Reducing would not prevent lightning, but slightly reduce risk. System would greatly reduce risk.

2. Old trees of any species do not codit well, so if you took a lot off it would rot.

3. We have no idea what trees surround this one; sounds like the biggest one in town.

4. Who said it was too tall?

Mike I'm sorry I mistook your suggestion as sarcasm. It just seems kind of far-fetched in this case, considering.

"I hope that helps you understand why they breed contempt." Too rare in CO to act like that there; different climate, different problems?

I finally get on board with your crown reduction ideas and you call it a pot shot.
Tell me why a valuable tree that is to tall, can't be crown reduced to the height of surrounding trees to prevent lightening attraction. It would surely be cheaper than installing all the cable and hardware.
And talking about pot shots, you're still picking on a persons spelling???

And on to invasive tree speices. If you have ever seen what norway maples do when they move into a native Wisconsin forest, you'd understand. They become a monoculture of trees with a canopy so dense the only thing that can grow under them is Garlic Mustard (an invasive bi-annual that is also taking over WI forests) and buckthorn (yet another invasive). All three are also heavy seed producers, very prolific, and fast growing.
I hope that helps you understand why they breed contempt.

And finally, what is wrong with saying it's rare we get the easy tree removals?
It's a simple fact. Most easy removals get done for free for the wood by a woodtick, by the homeowner himself, or buy a freind with a chainsaw.

Heck, you got three potshots in one post!

You should see the Scarborough Bluff's!
Talk about a Norway mono culture!
There is not anything in the understory except desert!
Dense canopy, prolific root system!!!!:eek:
Now we need to keep them there or hundreds of homes will drop into Lake Ontario due to erosion
Ah it is truley a beautiful thing
Later
John:angry:

Nice Size Linden

Well...today my rookie climbing ass worked my way 40ft up into an large linden. Basic deadwooding, crown thinning and pruning. It was enjoyable...i got to try redirects..limb walks (which were a tad interesting on an inclining lateral), and some nice pruning. I'm sure not much one of your days work...but it was challenging for me.

anthony

Well, there ya go!
up.gif

Re: Nice Size Linden

Originally posted by NYSawBoss
Basic deadwooding, crown thinning and pruning. It was enjoyable...
While you're up there you learn about different trees' growth habits, and how to manage them. Lindens do need some thinning and reduction cuts to keep them safer in storms.
I love watching how trees grow, and growing with them. Sounds like a good day for you; hope you have many more!

Granted, Norways may be considered weeds to some of you back east, but here In Colorado they are pretty rare. The ones that you do see are young trees usually less that about 25ft tall. This tree is just a few blocks from Colorado College that was founded back in 1889 so we are lookin at about a 115 year old tree. As far as the size goes, its not as big as some of the silver maples or cotton woods in the area but I estimated it to be about 75 ft tall. I could fein intrest in protecting this tree for the historical purpous only, but the other half of my intrest in installing lightning pro in this tree is also monatary. I can bank a cool $750.00 in a little less than a full day by installing the protection. Not only that but my expertiese and good sales techniques made this home owner a customer for life. They also have 3 large crab apple trees that I will treat with Snipper in the spring to keep the crab apples from growing. This customer has deep pockets and love thier trees. There are lots of ways to make money in trees besides removals and trimming.

Kenn:blob2:

Here is what I did today or just this morning before P wee football.

Ya'll GOTS to learn how to resize yur pics, and save em as JPEGS. You got the JPEG part right.

It's right there in yur Paint program, and it's easy.

I'm sorry my web browser automaticly resizes them for me after it is done loading. I know how but why. I didn't save it as 2x4 foot poster as it comes up on here. Maybe the web master needs a good talking to.

Latest posts

Back