So what did you do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did manage to go to the shop and finish the top handle Dolmar saw. It needed a chain adjuster and also had the clutch stuck so the chain spun all the time it was running, even at idle, so I tended to that. I inspected the rest of the saw for fuel and oil lines, etc. and it seems to be all there..

All morning on the www. mostly here. 2pm, mail call, I got an 036 Pro, a little porting tool from CC Specialties, a Meteor piston for my next Husky 350 project and an air filter for the 036. Then I proceeded to rip my "new" poor abused 036 apart. What a mess!

Last nite came home with a MS390
went to the stihl dealer and ordered more bits this morning.
eyeing off a MS362 tonite on feabay.
may flip the 390 and get the 362.

I got a stihl yellow chain and a bar nut for my ms271. Lost the first bar nut my first time out lol

There seems no way to explain a buck a gallon difference. [edit - in diesel price cost].

A tanker is 7k gallons - it surely doesn't cost a buck a gallon to transfer it from the rack to the retailer. And there can't be that much state tax involved, can there? Either way, they are gutting us on energy cost.

Diesel cost still hovers just above premium gasahol cost.

Pissed about it.

Finished assembling the Husky 51>55 and tried it in some wood. Had a bear of a time getting the chain to cut. Sharpened it on the grinder. Still didn't work. Ground off the safety shark fins, took down the rakers, used a file on it. Still not good. Took down the rakers some more and filed it again. That's better!
Saw runs good with the Huztl cylinder kit on it. (It was a 51 that I put a 55 top end on)

I worked on removing the transfer on the 51 cylinder to see what it looked like kand then cleaned up the 55 cylinder which will just get a new piston (different saw). Repaired the recoil spring as it had the loop broken off the end.

Worked on office work for a few hours as the temperature dropped from 63 to upper 30's in just a few hours and I went into the cozy house where Groundi had a fire going.

Was that an open port 55 top end that you put on the 51? I've never used a Hutzl kit.

I put a good used OE top end from a 55 Rancher [Mahle open port 46mm] on a 50 Rancher - and after s little time tuning it and some muffler mods, it runs pretty darned well. Great haul in the locomotive saw to remedy storm fall.

I just sold my 51/55, but I used a chicom kit when I built it because I wasn't sure about the bottom end's health when I bought it after supposedly being straight gassed. That was a torqy mo-fo! My buddy who bought it got a nice runner - he needed a saw so I helped him out with it.

I picked up a 357xp for $300 with 5 somewhat decent chains, the husky hard case, 4 files, 2 of the roller file guides, half a bottle of mix oil, and a shot bar at a pawn shop to replace it. Bought new in 2010 per the $700 receipt in with the factory papers. :D They'd only let me pull the plug and look down the top, but that test and the plug looked good, as was the suck and compression, plus it fired up good once it got primed from sitting. Got the saw home and pulled the muffler to find it was flawless in the bore and there's no marks at all on the piston. That one's at least a pound heavier than the 51, and I'm not convinced it has the same bottom end grunt yet, but I have some muffler massaging in store that should wake it up nicely. Had to bust off the carb limiters to get it to run right. It wouldn't idle warm, or it wouldn't start cold. 1.25 turns out on both from closed then a little tweaking and she's very easy to start cold and purrs like a kitten warm. Nothing wrong with that walbro carb in it, except the EPAs BS add-ons.

Yeah, open port kit from Huztl. I actually had to modify the cylinder a bit as the impulse hole was incorrectly placed. Other than that, it was pretty much plug and play. Of course I had to mess with it a bit just because... I also modded the muffler a bit to let it breathe a bit better. Got it running and idling nicely now. I'm happy with it. I'll run a few tanks through it and then send it down the road.

That's what I don't get - the 20" laminated bar it came with is way beyond shot, and the saw is a cherry. They didn't have the oiler turned up enough, yet they could sharpen a chain like a pro.

I'm guessing the bar came from another saw, but that doesn't explain the chains and oiler being wrong. I need to post some pics of that thing - it's quite the gem of abused steel. :eek:

I had no intention of running a 20" bar on it anyway, so I got a pro grade 16" husky bar and a few new chains, and will use the 20's on my Jonny since they're the same as I run on that saw. Just dumb luck that I found it - was coming home from a doc appt. and randomly thought to stop in that particular store. She sure winds out faster than the 51 did. :rock:

All morning on the www. mostly here. 2pm, mail call, I got an 036 Pro, a little porting tool from CC Specialties, a Meteor piston for my next Husky 350 project and an air filter for the 036. Then I proceeded to rip my "new" poor abused 036 apart. What a mess!

Good thing is 034/036's do not have too much parts. I like that :)

Doing my 24 hr. Shift at the fire sta. Be off in the morning at 6:30

$4.00 a gallon here for some reason. Don't understand why it is more than a dollar more than gasoline. If not greed then what? I would sure like someone to explain it to me.
The difference in costs between diesel and gasoline probably has something to do with who uses it. Diesel is used mostly by commercial users so I suppose they figure people will pay it regardless of whether it's a rip off or not. In reality, diesel should be quite a bit cheaper than gas.

My latest, like new Husky 350 came by FedEx today, just as I was finishing a 350 for my neighbor, then another customer finalized a deal to send his 350 for rebuild.
My latest STIHL 036 is waiting for a bath but I can't get to it! AND my number 1 STIHL 036 is ripped apart, waiting for some more port massaging. That's on hold cause Harbor Freight is so bloody slow getting my new flex shaft grinder mailed.
I'm just TOO anxious!

Got the real nice and dry wood stacked up under the front porch today, around 2/3rd cord of red oak, elm and cherry. A couple inches of snow still on the ground today, 11* this morning. Unreal for November, probably a warning shot of what's to come this winter!

IMAG0679.jpg

Finished the Husky 55 today and cut with it some. Painted half a dozen hammers, split and stacked some red oak, sorted through a bunch of old aviation articles and paperwork and shredded a couple bushels worth. Sent emails to Africa and South America, arranged to pick up a load of tools that need to be crated for Liberia, etc.

Tried to knock ice off the haul roads today. After nearly sliding a 95,000 lb machine down the side of a mountain, I elected that we were frozen out and went home. It probably won't be long until the lease is up for the equipment and then I'll head back down south.

Latest posts

Back