So what did you do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg image.jpg Buddy came over, and we turned a couple of bowls. Trying to turn this Catalpa into a Seahawks themed bowl using green and blue dyes. Will use this glass for a lid.

Went to the sale today and bought 4 chainsaws, two that run are 346XP and 340 Husqvarnas and two parts or rebuilders are Stihl 029 and MS280. Think I'll rebuild the 029, has very low compression, probably keep the 346, not sure about the other two. I hadn't ever seen a 346XP without a compression release but this one doesn't have one, pulls easy enough considering and starts and runs at least as good as my 353, maybe better.

This stinking 181XP Husky put a knot on my lower leg the size of a hardball! Tried to drop start it without b/c on, fresh rebuild, gas squirt into carb. All I could get was about 3 revolutions, SLOW. NO starty! Then wham! A bare bar stud hit my leg.

Husky Critters:(:angry:

Ouch! Bet that made a mark! Did about that with my 298xp when it decided to snap back.. about yanked my fingers off as well on the way to my shin.

View attachment 419906 View attachment 419907 Buddy came over, and we turned a couple of bowls. Trying to turn this Catalpa into a Seahawks themed bowl using green and blue dyes. Will use this glass for a lid.
What kind of lathe is that? Been a long time since I have done any faceplate turning. Also went through a spell where all I did was make pen and pencil sets.

Went to the stihl dealer early this morning sat there till they open and and got the new m tronic solenoid fix the saw then went an cut firewood image.jpg

Managed to revive 2 hedgetrimmers for a neighbor.
HS45 needed the leaves cleaned out of the filter, needs a carb kit to run right.
The other, a trimmer on a stick needed a cleanup and filter along with cleaning the exhaust screen so it will rev up.

Yard maintainence owners need to learn about cleaning their equipment.
It's OK because i need a few pallets of sod delivered for my yard. We will trade out work so i don't have to haul sod and save on the costs too. Nice to have neighbors that work together.

Raining again, we need a few dry days here.

What kind of lathe is that? Been a long time since I have done any faceplate turning. Also went through a spell where all I did was make pen and pencil sets.
It is a Nova dr xp, also have a PM 3720B. After I retired in 2004 thought I would take up woodworking. Quickly realized that I do not have the patience or the skills for cabinetry, or furniture making, so turned to lathe work. I really enjoy this. Keeps me busy, and out of the wife's way.

It is a Nova dr xp, also have a PM 3720B. After I retired in 2004 thought I would take up woodworking. Quickly realized that I do not have the patience or the skills for cabinetry, or furniture making, so turned to lathe work. I really enjoy this. Keeps me busy, and out of the wife's way.
That's the main reason some of us do chainsaws...

That's the main reason some of us do chainsaws...
I can understand that completly. Unfortunately umongst my other short comings I am also not very mechanical. For some reason I do enjoy reading and watching you that are though. I do own 5 chainsaws, but only one of them gets used infrequently. Other than cleaning, changing spark plug, chains, and filters I will never work on one. I do admire the skill, and expertise on this site.

Started to take down this tree that has been shading my wife's gardens. Nice tree, but it has to go. I'm about half done... Had a little rain delay late this afternoon, and I had all my gear out in the yard.

View attachment 419852 After a little low branch trimming.View attachment 419853
Nice shot with the Big Shot to get this rope set up here. Minimal hassle. Sometimes it's not so easy, and I'm not so lucky!

View attachment 419854View attachment 419851
Before limbing the easy ones. After limbing the easy ones.
View attachment 419855
Some of the remaining are going to need to be rigged down, due to the house/boat. Job for tomorrow.
IMG_2312.jpgIMG_2319.jpg IMG_2328.jpgIMG_2341.jpg IMG_2336.jpg
Finished the job off tonight!

I finished putting together a MS280 that I got at the sale last weekend. It needed about everything but I got it pretty cheap and it does run. I cut just a small amount of firewood with it and it buzzed through it pretty easy. My next victim is a 029 Stihl that needs a p/c so I'll get started on that pretty soon.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg ] Spring cleanups started here. Today I cut brush and small trees away from a garage, pulled stumps then loaded abuout 2 ton of demolition brick. Good news is my ad for free bricks on cl worked and a father and son came down and overloaded their f150 by about 1500lbs. Still 3/4" from the overload touching

I figured while I had a little time to go ahead and tear the 290 down so I did. Got it all apart except the bottom four bolts that hold the engine in and broke my T21 or whatever size it is. It was just a cheapo flea market screwdriver type thing anyway but it's been used for a lot of engines, guess it's time for a new one. The 290 appeared to have almost no compression but when I pulled the muffler the piston and rings looked pretty good, no scratches or anything and the rings didn't appear stuck. I bought a new P/C for it anyway so it's going in...sometime. Wife's got stuff for me tomorrow so it'll probably be in a day or two..

Back