So what did you do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I was putting tools away from the trailer fabrication project. Then I cleaned saw parts for a few hours. I have enough parts to build several 021 Stihls and some 018 Stihls. Still have a couple big saws in the truck that need testing (MS660, MS460, etc). So long story short, I worked on a bunch of stuff but didn't complete anything. Story of my life...sigh.

I turned this...
1-L.jpg

...into this.
2-L.jpg

I'm still waiting on a new oil cap, filter cover, and decals.

Sharpened one of the 70E's and the 034AVS. Then proceeded to unsharpen them both via the woodpile. Swung the MonsterMaul a bit as well.

I bought my first wood chipper :D After over a decade of tree work, it will be so nice to finally not have to cart everything to the dump!
For tree work, other than saws, I think a chipper is one of the most beneficial items. Often you can find a home for the chips without having to "dump" them somewhere. I don't have a chip truck but that would be nice. I use a dump trailer which carries plenty of chips but needs a second truck and driver to haul it. I don't do much tree work anymore so it's a moot point for me.

For tree work, other than saws, I think a chipper is one of the most beneficial items.

I'm with you on that! My rig is a Toyota 2 tonner with a Bandit XP90. I can only carry probably 5 metres (6 yards) of mulch, so probably about the same as your trailer, at a guess. I waited until I got the tipper to get the chipper, but a tipping trailer is the same thing when it comes to removing the trees.

It was nice to get to start with a decent size chipper. For my money and towing capacity I thought I was going to have to start so small that I'd have lost most of the benefit, but the 90XP can chip 9 x 17 inches and be towed by my 2 tonner.

I threw 50t of super phosphate around before weather called a stop. Tried to get a decent photo of a complete rainbow but was a bit too turbulent.
Then I went home and played with the kids20150423_084529.jpg

I'm with you on that! My rig is a Toyota 2 tonner with a Bandit XP90. I can only carry probably 5 metres (6 yards) of mulch, so probably about the same as your trailer, at a guess. I waited until I got the tipper to get the chipper, but a tipping trailer is the same thing when it comes to removing the trees.

It was nice to get to start with a decent size chipper. For my money and towing capacity I thought I was going to have to start so small that I'd have lost most of the benefit, but the 90XP can chip 9 x 17 inches and be towed by my 2 tonner.

My dump trailer will haul about 12 cubic yards of chips but I rarely fill it that full, that's a lot of stuff. Most jobs I don't even take the chipper and trailer. Sometimes I take one and sometimes the other but not often I need both. ie, I can just blow chips in a pile or into the woods in some cases, for a smaller job, I just toss everything in the dump trailer and then chip it at home (or burn it depending on the time of year)
My chipper is an Altec 12" chuck and duck but it works fine for my needs. They're great for pines. (a lot of what I get). I have no idea where the term "Whisper Chipper" comes from but that's what it was marketed as. I wear ear plugs AND muffs when running it...

After church I did some plumbing repairs for a single mom (of 7 girls) and when I got home the house stunk because we bug bombed it earlier today. So I got out the Stihl HT101 and did some tree trimming around the place that has been on my list for some time. I dragged the brush off the driveway and left everything else, clean up can happen later.

After church I did some plumbing repairs for a single mom (of 7 girls) and when I got home the house stunk because we bug bombed it earlier today. So I got out the Stihl HT101 and did some tree trimming around the place that has been on my list for some time. I dragged the brush off the driveway and left everything else, clean up can happen later.
Wife's been after me to get my new Stihl pole saw out (forgot the model) and trim some trees around here. So far I've been able to put her off...

Wife's been after me to get my new Stihl pole saw out (forgot the model) and trim some trees around here. So far I've been able to put her off...
Get it out and do the trimming. Gotta justify that purchase. I bought mine lightly used and it was still expensive. I've had it about 4 years.

She's gonna be gone tomorrow so I'll wait till she's around so she can point out which limbs she wants removed. I bought this Stihl brand new, it was cheaper than the other major brands except Poulan which was about half price of the Stihl but I read some reviews and seems they thought the Poulan was too light duty.

She's gonna be gone tomorrow so I'll wait till she's around so she can point out which limbs she wants removed. I bought this Stihl brand new, it was cheaper than the other major brands except Poulan which was about half price of the Stihl but I read some reviews and seems they thought the Poulan was too light duty.
You did the right thing. Buy once,cry once.

IMG_2342.jpg
Cut down one more little tree out back...
IMG_2343.jpg
Cut it up...
IMG_2344.jpg IMG_2345.jpg
Chopped everything up...
IMG_2357.jpg
Hauled it outta there and cleaned up...
IMG_2354.jpg
Woodpile is getting bigger!
IMG_2358.jpg
Back yard is getting much more open and we'll get more sun on the garden. Done for now. That was a lot of work!

mowed the yard and did some trimming with the lawn boy smoked out the skeeters and killed the bugs with it :)
then planted my self in the recliner to watch something on tv.

Latest posts

Back