So, what's your day job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great idea for a thread. I am a landscaper. Did it since out of school, got bored and was offered a job with a landclearing/logging outfit. Worked that for about 10 years total. Ran everything from skidder, whole tree chipper, tree shear, forwarder, even got some time in a processor. I can honestly say that was the most fun I have ever had working..ever. I couldn't believe I was getting paid to run equipment like that. After the housing boom slowed and landclearing slowed down, we moved to logging. Travel started getting to be too much and I went back into business landscaping. I cut and split firewood during the winter when it is slow and sell the wood in the fall. Landscaping is ok, but it allows me to play with chainsaws, wood and other cool stuff during the winter.

PT6 Thrush is a bad ass! I got my pilots lic in '83 and my A&P in '85
Aviation is a hard habit to break.

The DogFather.

Prior to this gig I practiced architecture. Did practically every type of stuff - tilt-up warehouses, medical, SFR, MFR... but mostly zoological stuff for the Zoological Society of San Diego. Everything from animal exhibits, food & merchandise facilities to off-exhibit holding and breeding facilities. Animals included polar bears, orangutans, gorillas, hippos, birds and reptiles...you name it.

The DogFather.

Prior to this gig I practiced architecture. Did practically every type of stuff - tilt-up warehouses, medical, SFR, MFR... but mostly zoological stuff for the Zoological Society of San Diego. Everything from animal exhibits, food & merchandise facilities to off-exhibit holding and breeding facilities. Animals included polar bears, orangutans, gorillas, hippos, birds and reptiles...you name it.

Pics....or it didn't happen

My day job is usually night work ...
I do technical maintenance of railways.
I make sure that the train travels safely from station 'A' to station 'B',
it is part of railway security, signals, switches and road crossings.

It is very varied work with a great responsibility.

ANP-750_5645071-480x298.jpg

I work for a large international oil company. I have been a journeyman Millwright and Machinist by trade for 28 years, but my primary job has been a Vibration Analyst/Machinery analysis technician for the last 18 years or so.
I diagnose problems with any of the rotating/reciprocating equipment in our refinery and monitor the vibration and operating charicteristics to prevent failures or breakdowns before they happen.
I am also an Assitant Fire Chief/Industrial firefighter on our refinery fire team and a Hazmat technician. Lots of fun stuff to learn!!!!!

I work for a large international oil company. I have been a journeyman Millwright and Machinist by trade for 28 years, but my primary job has been a Vibration Analyst/Machinery analysis technician for the last 18 years or so.
I diagnose problems with any of the rotating/reciprocating equipment in our refinery and monitor the vibration and operating charicteristics to prevent failures or breakdowns before they happen.
I am also an Assitant Fire Chief/Industrial firefighter on our refinery fire team and a Hazmat technician. Lots of fun stuff to learn!!!!!
Anacortes?

I overhaul pt6 turbine engines for a living, 52 years in the making and it is still popular. Technology has come a long way though especially in materials and manufacturing methods.
My son is working on one at A&P school right now. His prior employer uses them on their turbine Otters...

Well for 30 yrs. I was a faller,I like to think a fairly competent and responsible one. It just got too hard to make a decent living in our small province in the woods. Now I'm an Ironworker{reinforcing}Local 752 for the largest steel co. in North America. It was a bit of an adjustment but great people from top to bottom in the co. I still get out almost every weekend wooding with a couple of friends. They let me fall the big 1's.

All the older GM engines are blown with one blower per eight cylinders, but this one is a turbo engine. Both are like you said, intake ports that go all the way around the cylinder and four exhaust valves. Here is what a turbo engine looks like. The turbo is clutch driven off the flywheel to about 600 RPM otherwise they would smoke more than a steam engine til they got wound up.

Another RR diesel guy! In the past 30 years, I've worked on Alco 539, 244 and 251 powered engines, GE 7FDL engines, and GM 567 A/B/B-C/C, and 645 engines. No 710 stuff has filtered down this far yet. I've always been a shortline RR guy, and most recently, I've spent more time on the 7FDL GE locomotives than anything else.

those twin otters are legends in the bush. These engines are bullet proof. Had one pt6 actually come in with bullet holes in it. I've never actually flown in a pt6 powered aircraft but I know the engine inside and out.

Back