So you think we pay a lot for Stihl saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
Looking at some prices for Stihl saws in the UK, I had to do a double take. Prices for chainsaws there are MORE THAN DOUBLE what they are here in the US. Example:

MS 361 with 20 inch bar: $590 US (Oegon pre-'07 price hike)
MS 361 with 20 inch bar: 660 UK pounds (660 x 1.93$/pound = ) $1,273 US!!!

Cough, sputter, smoke... :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

Fuel is dang near the same way. It's all sold in liters and one liter there is about how much a gallon costs here.

and yet you ppl cry about gas prices going up and that saws cost too much...

Heck, 346xp costs 850e here... gas is ~1,3e liter... 0.95e per liter for diesel...

"Everything" cost a lot more here also, than in the US, but the difference on Husky and Jonsered pro saws are worse than on Stihl ones. Some of the smaller ones, like the 353, is often "on sale" though.

I don't think they're that much more expensive anyway. They are a bit yes, but I saw in Bailey's tonight when I got the catalog that the 7900 was almost $700......without bar and chain. After that, you're pretty close to what a Stihl 460 costs. The price isn't that much. You'll never hear me complain about Stihl's prices. They're fair.

Nice things cost money.

Jeff

A couple of things you should bear in mind....

1) The UK Pound -> US Dollar exchange rate has changed quite a bit in the last 6 months. We still have just as many pounds as before - they just buy a lot more dollars.

2) In the UK, I can get an MS660 for about £700 on the internet - so the comparison is not entirely fair. Stihl seem to have a much weaker hold on distribution over here.

Petrol & diesel is indeed expensive - but then we don't tend to drive huge V8s...so it isn't that much of a big deal. We drive small cars really fast - frightens the wits out of US friends when I pick them up from Heathrow airport in a "sub compact" and proceed to do 80 mph on the motorway without worrying about it. :laugh:

Well how's this WITHOUT any exchange rate:

I priced an MS361 on Tuesday - $1421.00!!
That's in Bermuda dollars which are equivalent to US$$
Oh and our gas is about $6 a gallon.
A gallon of Stihl bar oil is $14.

In the early nineties, my wife spent a year working in Germany. I stayed home and flew over to visit her a number of times. I needed to replace my old, worn-out Echo, so being a genius and all I realized I could pick up a new Stihl over there and save a lot. The manual would be in German, but my wife speaks it, so.... We shopped around in Munich, found a lot of Stihls. They ran about $100 higher than prices in Denver. I asked the salesman of one shop over there why, he said the saws are actually not made in Germany but in the US, they are shipped back over there. I think I read on this forum somewhere that they are really made in Germany, so I don't know what to think about that. But in any case, I bought mine back here at home.

In the early nineties, my wife spent a year working in Germany. I stayed home and flew over to visit her a number of times. I needed to replace my old, worn-out Echo, so being a genius and all I realized I could pick up a new Stihl over there and save a lot. The manual would be in German, but my wife speaks it, so.... We shopped around in Munich, found a lot of Stihls. They ran about $100 higher than prices in Denver. I asked the salesman of one shop over there why, he said the saws are actually not made in Germany but in the US, they are shipped back over there. I think I read on this forum somewhere that they are really made in Germany, so I don't know what to think about that. But in any case, I bought mine back here at home.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

And the beat goes on........yah the beat goes on

Ouch...

I think I'm going to have to quit complaining all that much. Or at least cut down (!) on it... You have my sympathies...

But I'm more curios, if you have Husky or Jonsered there, what's a ballpark price for, say, a 372/575 or a 2171?

The situation in Sweden (could one hope for notes of the prices of saws and related items in the daily financial reviews on TV..?):
361/15": $960
250C-B/14": $610
2150/13": $710
350/13": $740

Without B/C:
372/575: $1280
2171: $1210

Gas: $6.50 /gallon
Bar oil: $15.80 /gallon

All at a rate of 7.1 SEK for $1 (US).

I don't think they're that much more expensive anyway. They are a bit yes, but I saw in Bailey's tonight when I got the catalog that the 7900 was almost $700......without bar and chain. After that, you're pretty close to what a Stihl 460 costs. The price isn't that much. You'll never hear me complain about Stihl's prices. They're fair.

Nice things cost money.

Jeff

That price for the dolmar is at MSLP, You can get them for a lessor price
And from what I am seeing the Dolmar is the better saw.
Looks like that would save me money to buy other nice things.

I think I'm going to have to quit complaining all that much. Or at least cut down (!) on it... You have my sympathies...

But I'm more curios, if you have Husky or Jonsered there, what's a ballpark price for, say, a 372/575 or a 2171?

QUOTE]

No Jonsereds here, a Husky 372 is $1330 first cost, a Stihl 441 is $1600.
I am seriously considering shipping in my own saw, even with duty and shipping no way it will cost as much as the dealers want!

We drive small cars really fast - frightens the wits out of US friends when I pick them up from Heathrow airport in a "sub compact" and proceed to do 80 mph on the motorway without worrying about it. :laugh:

Hi,

erm... 80mph and you say fast :laugh: come over to Germany and find a nice clear stretch of autobahn on a Sunday morning and then we can talk about what fast means!

80mph is the recommended "cruising" speed over here...

Bye

Dolmar... (sigh)

Well, Dolmars are cheaper than Stihls, but they are historically whacky. Also untested over time. Here today, gone tomorrow? Maybe they will be more stable with Makita owning them. Harder to find a dealer around here though, especially with historically opening and then shutting down and compared to Stihl being all over high and low in Oregon. Read: where would I get it fixed?

Stihls seem to be cheapest in the US though, which is the point of the thread, not "other" chainsaw prices. Damn thread hijackers! :angry:

A couple of things you should bear in mind....

1) The UK Pound -> US Dollar exchange rate has changed quite a bit in the last 6 months. We still have just as many pounds as before - they just buy a lot more dollars.

2) In the UK, I can get an MS660 for about £700 on the internet - so the comparison is not entirely fair. Stihl seem to have a much weaker hold on distribution over here.

Well, the dollar was $1.80/£ last summer, and a MS660 listed here for $1,000 US then. That is still $1,260 US in retro-dollars with your internet pricing for a 25% premium. And VAT... we do not have a national VAT sales tax here in the US. No sales tax in Oregon either. And today £ 700 is more like $1,330, so a 33% increase in price. A £ is still a £, as you say, but a Stihl buzz saw goes for a lot more in the UK than in the US. Or is now discounted more in the US than before.

As for where Stihl saws are being made, seems that the power head that I have was made in the US, and the bar was made in Germany. Multinational company. As for Stihls being more expensive in Germany, heh heh heh. That is like buying wine from Chile here in the US. Cheap as chips here. $5 a bottle for a drinkable Cabernet. My friend went on a trip to Chile and while there was looking for cheap wine to bring home. Huh... the same wine was more like $13 a bottle there. They are dumping wine on the American market, so may as well buy it here than where it is being made. Typical with NAFTA and new trade legislation. I hear that wine is rediculously expensive becasue of taxes in the UK and prohibitively expensive in Skandinavia for the same reasons.

Ah, to live in the good old US of A... :rock:

If one of these dealers cannot send you a saw "for warranty repair";) I will help you out friend.

There is no duty on warranty repair, is there?

Fred

Last edited:
the only thing we are not taxed on here is the air that we breath, damm, shouldn't have said that it will give tony blair ideas for another tax:help:

Latest posts

Back