Soapstone... Hearthstone (Mansfield model)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a Hearthstone Soapstone, and it seems that every FIRST fire of the year, smokes me out of the room until the chimney heats up and it starts to draft. All fires after that go well regarding being smoked out. Do these Soapstones need an initial burn to "season" them for the year ? I've had it for 8 years, and it does it every year.

Nope it's probably more an issue with your chimney being cold and not drawing. Next time try taking some newpaper and some dry cedar or other very dry kindling and only fire that in the stove. After that burns away, go ahead and do a top down loading and you should be fine. :cheers:
PS: Those are a real nice stove!

Last edited:
Nope it's probably more an issue with your chimney being cold and not drawing. Next time try taking some newpaper and some dry cedar or other very dry kindling and only fire that in the stove. After that burns away, go ahead and do a top down loading and you should be fine. :cheers:
PS: Those are a real nice stove!

:agree2:

I agree with the others regarding the draft. I also have a Hearthstone and have not had the problem that you are experiencing. First fire of the year I simply burn a bit of kindling and cut the oxygen to it, letting the stone get warm to the touch but not hot. The next night it is ready to go.

Good Luck

I have a Hearthstone II. I simply fire it up with some ash and a little bit of kindling from the neighbor's wood shop. Get it up to about 200 and then cut it back. (Helps that I have a straight stack mostly in doors so temp is not really a problem):cheers:

I have a Hearthstone Soapstone, and it seems that every FIRST fire of the year, smokes me out of the room until the chimney heats up and it starts to draft. All fires after that go well regarding being smoked out. Do these Soapstones need an initial burn to "season" them for the year ? I've had it for 8 years, and it does it every year.

You are suppose to build a low first fire each year with the hearthstone and maintain it for a certain number of hours, but its not about the smoke. It drys the soap stone which draws moisture while not being used. I am careful to do that each year.

You are suppose to build a low first fire each year with the hearthstone and maintain it for a certain number of hours, but its not about the smoke. It drys the soap stone which draws moisture while not being used. I am careful to do that each year.

Makes sense Eric and good info. Hate too crack a stone.

Once you sort out the initial firing/moisture issue, you can use a crumpled
sheet of newspaper stuffed in or right under the chimney pipe (in the stove).
Light it and keep the doors closed to prevent it from being pulled up the pipe.
This will heat up the chimney sufficiently to draw smoke from the fire when
you start it.

Dale,

I had a Heritage model, & it was awesome. Never had any smoking at all. We had to crack a window every evening even when it was in the 20's for a 1600 sq ft log home w/20' cathederal ceiling. The Mansfield is bigger so it shoul really cook. What size flue, how long is it & does it have any 90's? Ours was straight up 20' to the ceiling with a 5' section of triple wall thru the roof. I think Eric is right about the moisture in the stone. High humidity where you are?

RD

The stove is in my basement, so I heat the room up, and use a conventional fan to blow it out through a door and throughout other parts of the foundation. I do get some good heat out of it on the second floor from the natural rise of the heat, but nothing like I would if it were in my livingspace floor.

I actually have one 45 degree elbow on the inside of the foundation that goes through the block to a Tee, which is essntially a 90 degree, then straight up 18 ft with Doube-Wall Stainless.

I have the Hearthstone Heritage with the chimney straight out the top and through the roof. I have great draft except when my wife makes a fire while making super and forgets the oven down draft fan on.
Just last night, "What the he** is wrong with this stove!!??"
"Same thing as last time you did this dear."
Dan.

I have a Woodstock soap stove. Every time I fire it up cold I open the top and put some newspaper in the chimney and light it,no smoke. My old Fisher in the basement when I light it cold I just have some kindling in it ready to light and blow a hair dryer up the chimney for about 30 sec. and light it ,no smoke.

Hmmmmmm..... I have baffles at the top of the firebox on the Mansfield. I'm thinking that it's some kind of environmental doo-hicky... maybe a catalyst ? I have no means to heat the stack other than build a fire in the box.

No cat on any Hearthstone. Baffles? I gues it is some kind of heat diffuser. It could be dirty. You might give Hearthstone a call & see what they say. Also, i am guessing that 2 -90 degree turns in the flue would have a somewhat negative effect on the draft effeciency....not a big deal, but a factor.

RD

Motor7... they are round tubes made of some metal alloy that run horizontally across the top of the woodburner. I haven't a clue as to what purpose they serve.

Actually I don't have 2- 90 degree turns, but rather 1 -90, and 1 -45.

"Actually I don't have 2- 90 degree turns, but rather 1 -90, and 1 -45."

Sorry, my bad....too much Rebel Yell & coke a cola...............:clap:

RD

Dale; those round horizontal tubes at the top serve to "inject" previously heated air (therefore some oxygen) to the oxygen starved top part of the fire where you would normally have smoke, this smoke then ignites and gives you more heat...your efficiency goes up around 20-30%. if you burn well seasoned wood you shouldn't see much if any smoke coming out your chimney once its burning well . i got a hearthstone tribute and love this little stove, enjoy yours!
alain

Latest posts

Back