Soapstone kettle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rburg44

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can you only use a soapstone kettle on a soapstone stove top i def need to get one but doesnt seem like many options out there any help for other options guys, or what you all use...?

I just use a big broiler pan that holds over a gallon of water. Works great.

Attachments

• IMAG1358.jpg
    IMAG1358.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 74
I think hearthstone sells a grate to protect the soapstone. I use a cast iron kettle on mine, and it's permanently marked.

I think hearthstone sells a grate to protect the soapstone. I use a cast iron kettle on mine, and it's permanently marked.

Yes that is what my worries are! Not sure where i heard u had to use a certian kind of steamer/kettle but i thought i did! Now which kind! Ha

You can use a soapstone steamer on a soapstone stove. It can sit right on top. I own a cast iron stove and purchased a Hearthstone steamer pot and they require a trivet in-between the two, otherwise the soapstone will overheat and crack.

So i can use a trivet on a soapstone top and use a cast iron kettle and that would be okay? Or only use a soapstone kettle trivet free..?

So i can use a trivet on a soapstone top and use a cast iron kettle and that would be okay? Or only use a soapstone kettle trivet free..?
Soapstone stoves don't get nearly as hot as a cast iron stove, so a low profile trivet would work best between the cast iron and soapstone. If you want to get a soapstone kettle, then it can go right on top without a trivet.

Soapstone stoves don't get nearly as hot as a cast iron stove, so a low profile trivet would work best between the cast iron and soapstone. If you want to get a soapstone kettle, then it can go right on top without a trivet.
wouldn't you think that the trivet "feet" would do the same thing to the stove top, that your trivet did to your soapstone steamer??
I would imagine that the trivet is going to mark the OP's stove top...

wouldn't you think that the trivet "feet" would do the same thing to the stove top, that your trivet did to your soapstone steamer??
I would imagine that the trivet is going to mark the OP's stove top...
If you can fill your steamer pot without having to move it much, you should be fine from scratching your stove top. My soapstone steamer pot is quite heavy, so it doesn't move the trivet around when I take off the lid. I've seen some steamer pots that don't even require taking the lid off to fill it. That's what I would recommend for you.

If you can fill your steamer pot without having to move it much, you should be fine from scratching your stove top. My soapstone steamer pot is quite heavy, so it doesn't move the trivet around when I take off the lid. I've seen some steamer pots that don't even require taking the lid off to fill it. That's what I would recommend for you.
I don't think scratches are the problem... its leaving rust marks on the soapstone, similar to what is on the bottom of your steamer from your trivet...

I don't think scratches are the problem... its leaving rust marks on the soapstone, similar to what is on the bottom of your steamer from your trivet...
The first couple years that I owned the soapstone steamer, it never leaked and never had rust on the bottom. When I decided to sit it closer to the stove by placing a rope gasket in between, that's when it started leaking. That rash decision caused it to overheat and leak. I don't think it will rust on the bottom if you place it directly on top of a soapstone stove or if you place a trivet in between on a cast iron stove. Hopefully that clarifies your question.

Back