Sold the MS290 for a MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tomcatbubba

tomcatbubba

ArboristSite Lurker
I purchased the Farm Boss about a year ago for some basic yardwork and trimming on our 40 acres. We recently put in a wood stove that we use for our primary heat so I've been cutting a lot of firewood recently. The 290 was really hard on my hands after a day of cutting, and the 20 inch bar was way too big for the saw and really bogged down even with brand new chains. So, I sold the MS290 to a guy at work and bought the MS362. All I can say is WOW, what a huge difference. The vibration is hardly noticable, even after a day of cutting and it has more than enough oomph to pull a 20" bar. I spent the entire day cutting a large hickory tree up and the fuel efficiency was superb. All in all, I think this is a great saw, a huge step up from the Farm Boss, and definitely worth the extra $300. The pro saws really are great!

saxman

saxman

Addicted to ArboristSite
You made a big step up, but I am afraid you will be bitten by CAD for pro level saws. Next you will be drooling and lusting for a MS441 then shortly for a MS660 and on and on. I hope you have an understanding wife, she needs to be! LOL

Steve

TreePointer

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Congratulations! :clap:

I made a similar move from a 290 to a 361 a few years ago for the same reasons. Those who have only used a 290 as their best saw will always be dumbfounded at the higher cost of the 361/362 and never realize that it's worth it, IMO.

Just drink the Kook-Aid and enjoy!

KA361C.jpg

Last edited:

sjp

ArboristSite Operative
I purchased the Farm Boss about a year ago for some basic yardwork and trimming on our 40 acres. We recently put in a wood stove that we use for our primary heat so I've been cutting a lot of firewood recently. The 290 was really hard on my hands after a day of cutting, and the 20 inch bar was way too big for the saw and really bogged down even with brand new chains. So, I sold the MS290 to a guy at work and bought the MS362. All I can say is WOW, what a huge difference. The vibration is hardly noticable, even after a day of cutting and it has more than enough oomph to pull a 20" bar. I spent the entire day cutting a large hickory tree up and the fuel efficiency was superb. All in all, I think this is a great saw, a huge step up from the Farm Boss, and definitely worth the extra $300. The pro saws really are great!

i did the same thing 290 to 362 good choice

Anthony_Va.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
I'm crazy about my ms361. I have ran the 362 though, and like it just as good. It's hard not to like them. They will do anything a firewood cutter needs them to do.

You would prolly like the 441 if you like the 362. The 441 is an awesome saw IMO. I hav'ent ran either one modded but I hear they respond well to a muff mod.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I'm crazy about my ms361. I have ran the 362 though, and like it just as good. It's hard not to like them. They will do anything a firewood cutter needs them to do.

You would prolly like the 441 if you like the 362. The 441 is an awesome saw IMO. I hav'ent ran either one modded but I hear they respond well to a muff mod.

Use the 362 for some hours, and you surely will notise that it is heavier than your 361! ;)

It isn't heavier than the 290 though, rather lighter, so the OP did well anyway!

Last edited:
Maul Man

Maul Man

ArboristSite Lurker

That's good to hear, tomcatbubba.
I've had a Stihl 028 for about 15 years and Santa is fixing to upgrade me to the 362. Looks like I really have something to look forward to based on your comments.

banshee67

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
That's good to hear, tomcatbubba.
I've had a Stihl 028 for about 15 years and Santa is fixing to upgrade me to the 362. Looks like I really have something to look forward to based on your comments.

indeed you do!
i also have an old 028, as well as fairly new 361, let me say that there is NO comparison, other than the brand name and colors.
i havnt run a 362 but can only imagine with better antivibe, torque, and fuel economy than the 361.. you are gona be thrilled going from the 028 to the 362!

o8f150

o8f150

Tree Freak
LOL, a bit odd to hear from you, but I assume you have found out that defending the Echo brand wasn't really productive....;)

There also are other issues than how the saws perform!

yea i saw the light,,,least i know for sure that the 600p will keep up with it,,i still like echos though

WVhunter

WVhunter

ArboristSite Operative
Excellant choice, I have never ran the 362, but had a 361 for about 4 or 5 years and loved it. Sadly though a friend of mine squashed it for me, so ended my 361. They are a great firwood saw.

Latest posts