Solo 681 vs Dolmar 7900 - VIDEO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tonight we ran my new Solo 681 against Andys stock 7900. The 681 has only had 1/2 tank of fuel ran through it. I'm not sure how much Andys 7900 has been run. It's a newer saw but has been used some. Both saws were tested running the same 8-pin rim and 28" B&C. The wood is Ash.

The bottom line: The 681 is 7-10% faster than the 7900. Not bad at all for a brand new saw.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x4bhKpwtgy0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x4bhKpwtgy0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What's amazing with both saws is that they cut faster the harder you lean on them. They just keep pulling that chain. They have torque to spare, even with an 8-pin rim in Ash.

That is what I was pointing out. The saws cut the fastest at the slowest.

A two stroke wants to live between the torque peak and the power peak. RPMs are NOT the answer.

What's even more impressive is that Niks 361 cuts nearly as fast as the 7900! I'm uploading another video of it and will post it in the Poulan thread. The 7900 cut 13.25-12.30 and the 361s fastest cut was 13.25 as well. LINK

What's even more impressive is that Niks 361 cuts nearly as fast as the 7900! I'm uploading another video of it and will post it in the Poulan thread. The 7900 cut 13.25-12.30 and the 361s fastest cut was 13.25 as well.

Back to the big wood thing. Put them both in 30" Oak and watch the spread grow.

so y'all know, I got to run 'em both with a FATGUY sized grin. I gotta say, love 'em both. The Solo may edge out the Dolmar by a teensie weensie bit, but you wouldn't know it without a stop watch. As far as the weight, you can't feel the difference. The AV was a bigger deal to two more experienced sawyers than myself, but it's legit. For my money, I'd still get the 7900, but I'm obviousley smitten with that saw and have a bias.....

so y'all know, I got to run 'em both with a FATGUY sized grin. I gotta say, love 'em both. The Solo may edge out the Dolmar by a teensie weensie bit, but you wouldn't know it without a stop watch. As far as the weight, you can't feel the difference. The AV was a bigger deal to two more experienced sawyers than myself, but it's legit. For my money, I'd still get the 7900, but I'm obviousley smitten with that saw and have a bias.....

So what's ya think about your 361 running with a 7900 in this sized wood?!! I'm shocked. 70cc, yes, but not a 7900.

Back