SOLO KleinMotoren Comes Thru!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spacemule you may be on to something....

Was told that a total of three suits were attempted by Stihl against Dolmar.
World's First Chain Saw, World's Largest Chain Saw, and Colors.
The last one they won.

Dolmar was voted:
#1 Brand of the Year by Dealers & Distributors in Gernmany!
#2 was Stihl
#3 Was Husqvarna.

Copy of the decal to be displayed by dealers.

Sadly, Dolmar just isn't on the same page of self promotion like some of it's competitors. That does cost them sales, besides making it more difficult to get dealers.

Cracking the Stihl Code?

C'mon guys, won't anybody tell me the Secret Code that Stihl uses so that I can figure out what the heck size saw they're talking about without having to memorize a million different models?

Pretty please!

Save a saw

Max , I remember a 'Save a saw' thread that recomended a timesert as a better than helicoil repair for stripped muffler bolt threads . Now for the back to the 662 or 667 Solo question . What saw do you use for dropping the big Red pines ? Is the saw underpowered for felling them ? Scott

scottr said:
Max , I remember a 'Save a saw' thread that recomended a timesert as a better than helicoil repair for stripped muffler bolt threads . Now for the back to the 662 or 667 Solo question . What saw do you use for dropping the big Red pines ? Is the saw underpowered for felling them ? Scott

These manifold holes aren't stripped out, although I did clean them up with a metric tap so they are no longer like new.

For felling I have either my Jons. 2050 or Echo CS-510. They are not really underpowered, altho after running this 690 I have new respect for larger displacement saws and that BIG gap between 50cc and 90cc is looking rather empty. It will pass.....hopefully.

spacemule said:
One thing is certain, though, Stihl feels threatened by Dolmar. :)
With good reason too. From what I've heard about the 7900, the Stihls should be threatened by such a great design. Dolmars are gaining ground in the USA with rock solid designs and high performance stlyes that look good and run great.

Well, speaking of Solo and muffler bolts, I have been using the 651 lately, but today especially it was starting to run erratic, like an air leak. I couldn't get it to idle down to a reasonable speed, and it had a dead spot right as you start to open the throttle. Got back to the shop to check it out. I tried to check the muffler bolts, but couldn't seem to engage them (burried in a hole and couldn't remember what wrench). I loosened the two nuts that hold the muffler to the case, and the muffler fell right off. There were no bolts in the jug, and only half a gaket left. Well, needless to say, it runs much better after the repair, but I had to substitute regular allen head bolts with lock washers and loc-tite for the original fasteners, as they lay in the woods somewhere.

Brand recognition by colors and color combos

This is a topic that has arisen in the past few years across the tool industry, and the colors and combinations thereof are aggressively protected as trademarks now.

Yellow/Black is DeWalt; Red/White is Milwaukee; Makita has their shade of blue, Bosch another; ad infinitum.

A chainsaw is a saw that makes use of a chain to cut and the portability and/or method of deriving the rotational force to drive the chain are irrelevant in the broad classification of "chainsaw", hence the further clarity of the claims presented.  It's doubtful one could honestly say Dolmar engineers copied the idea from Stihl, and I don't recall ever hearing that accusation.

Glen

glens said:
This is a topic that has arisen in the past few years across the tool industry, and the colors and combinations thereof are aggressively protected as trademarks now.

Yellow/Black is DeWalt; Red/White is Milwaukee; Makita has their shade of blue, Bosch another; ad infinitum.

Glen

These things never cease to amaze me. Is this the same kind of thinking that spawned the 5 color terror alert system? Ha. I've got one that is pathetic. A few years ago, some film makers came out with a film titled King George III. After pre-release showings to American audiences, they determined they would have to change the film's title to King George because such a large percentage of the people thought they'd missed King George I and II. I laugh, and at the same time I have a sinknig feeling in my stomach. My apologies for straying from the topic. :)

TonyM said:
Well, speaking of Solo and muffler bolts, I have been using the 651 lately, but today especially it was starting to run erratic, like an air leak. I couldn't get it to idle down to a reasonable speed, and it had a dead spot right as you start to open the throttle. Got back to the shop to check it out. I tried to check the muffler bolts, but couldn't seem to engage them (burried in a hole and couldn't remember what wrench). I loosened the two nuts that hold the muffler to the case, and the muffler fell right off. There were no bolts in the jug, and only half a gaket left. Well, needless to say, it runs much better after the repair, but I had to substitute regular allen head bolts with lock washers and loc-tite for the original fasteners, as they lay in the woods somewhere.

As I am in a similar situation with the orginal muffler screws either lost in the woods or messed up from vibration I also have to substitute Allen head screws. But somebody here suggested against using star washers (which could break easier and the pieces run amok). So I'm wondering if you used regular type split-ring lock washers or something else? (PLUS Locktite of course).

My '76 BMW motorcycle (and old Jons. 451 maybe?) have another interesting type of lock washer. It's a flat (really convex) thin disk that flattens out under the pressure of tightening it down. They seem to work okay, but of course the BWM opposed-twin motorcycle engine doesn't hardly vibrate and rarely do things come loose.

I made a stack up of a tightly fitting flat washer (had to custom fit the OD) and a regular split ring lock washer. The threaded holes are really deep, and I could get a lot of thread engagement, so I tightened the bolts much harder than I would normally for a bolt that size threaded into aluminum. Hopefully with the Loc-Tite, they'll stay put. At least I know to check them a little more often now. I've had muffler bolts come loose on other saws I've worked on. I think I normally play it a little safe when tightening them down, since it's easier to replace a bolt than repair a stripped thread. I guess I will have to recalibrate my arm, or get a little torque wrench. Check McMaster Carr for a wide selection of various lock washer types. You can normally order from them using a credit card.
McMaster Carr

TonyM said:
I made a stack up of a tightly fitting flat washer (had to custom fit the OD) and a regular split ring lock washer. The threaded holes are really deep, and I could get a lot of thread engagement, so I tightened the bolts much harder than I would normally for a bolt that size threaded into aluminum. Hopefully with the Loc-Tite, they'll stay put. At least I know to check them a little more often now. I've had muffler bolts come loose on other saws I've worked on. I think I normally play it a little safe when tightening them down, since it's easier to replace a bolt than repair a stripped thread. I guess I will have to recalibrate my arm, or get a little torque wrench. Check McMaster Carr for a wide selection of various lock washer types. You can normally order from them using a credit card.
McMaster Carr

What you did with yours is the current plan with mine: Right down to the "custom" fitted flat washer! I think the screws I have will go all the way thru the threaded manifold holes, but if not I will get longer ones. And like you said, check them more frequently......

Lots in that mcmaster catalog. Thanks...

I'd like to see the McMaster Carr warehouse. Over 420,000 products, 98% ship from stock. When I worked for a small machine design shop/systems integrator, we were always rushed to get things done. If we placed an order before 5:00 PM, it would show up the next morning at 10:00 AM, using standard UPS Ground. I think one out of hundreds of things we ordered took two days! Some of the items are not small either. They are not the cheapest for things like steel, etc., but if you need a small quantity, most places will charge you for a full bar length, and a cut charge on top of that, just for a 6" piece. If you're in a hurry, or need small quantities, they can't be beat, and there's a lot to choose from.

TonyM said:
I'd like to see the McMaster Carr warehouse. Over 420,000 products, 98% ship from stock. When I worked for a small machine design shop/systems integrator, we were always rushed to get things done. If we placed an order before 5:00 PM, it would show up the next morning at 10:00 AM, using standard UPS Ground. I think one out of hundreds of things we ordered took two days! Some of the items are not small either. They are not the cheapest for things like steel, etc., but if you need a small quantity, most places will charge you for a full bar length, and a cut charge on top of that, just for a 6" piece. If you're in a hurry, or need small quantities, they can't be beat, and there's a lot to choose from.

A rather staggering selection of stuff. Their website doesn't fit my browser very well however. I like buying stuff on the web and having to delivered to my door as I'm in a remote spot in the woods and many miles from any decent industrial supply.

Back