Some black walnut (excited)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walnut and cherry are my two favorites. Its too bad about your old Mac, but now you have a real excuse to get a more modern saw with less vibes.:chainsawguy:

Is that a 36" Alaskan?

Good work on the slabbin'! Your furniture designs are really interesting. :cheers:

That link to the hydrofoil catamaran is very cool! Hey, add some foils to your Nacra and get flying! ;)

Hey another Michignader! Great work on those slabs. Love the designs too unique puts Ikea to shame and better materials if you mill your own wood!!! Keep it up Like the sailing too. :clap:

Very nice. I would love to find some of that. I just got a load of oak today, first time I've had any (being in the pacific north west).

Being a scrounger, I get the logs that come my way. Funny how they all run in binges sometimes. I'm way long on cherry compared to everything else right now, running short on oak, and the walnut is getting thin. I'm working on Dad to be able to mill up a 32-34" DBH ash with no branches for the first 25 feet or so. He wants to call in a bandmill to get every board, I'm trying to convince him that the $400 the hired mill would cost would buy a whole lot of ash. $400 means more to me than him, especially when you see it as a handful of extra boards for that money.

Being a scrounger, I get the logs that come my way. Funny how they all run in binges sometimes. I'm way long on cherry compared to everything else right now, running short on oak, and the walnut is getting thin. I'm working on Dad to be able to mill up a 32-34" DBH ash with no branches for the first 25 feet or so. He wants to call in a bandmill to get every board, I'm trying to convince him that the $400 the hired mill would cost would buy a whole lot of ash. $400 means more to me than him, especially when you see it as a handful of extra boards for that money.

I understand the money thing for sure. Its is cool that you do this stuff with your dad. How do you like working with the ash. I have bought some and what little I have bought I dont like working with "very splintery".

PS One day I will own my own band mill.

Woodenbiker, you do some beautiful work. I have 2, 8' Cherry logs at a friends house waiting for him to put them on his Woodmizer band saw. I was worried about losing a little wood. The logs are about 24" and all I want to make is a 5' long picture frame for my wife's favorite print. My other worry was the fact that I plan on useing my Homelite 1050 with .404 chain which is kinda wide. You've got me convinced to just get to it and not worry about losing a board or two per log. Thanks for sharing your work with us, Joe.

Woodenbiker, you do some beautiful work. I have 2, 8' Cherry logs at a friends house waiting for him to put them on his Woodmizer band saw. I was worried about losing a little wood. The logs are about 24" and all I want to make is a 5' long picture frame for my wife's favorite print. My other worry was the fact that I plan on useing my Homelite 1050 with .404 chain which is kinda wide. You've got me convinced to just get to it and not worry about losing a board or two per log. Thanks for sharing your work with us, Joe.

And my mom says I am a bad influence!:greenchainsaw:

Great looking Slabs. I always wanted to make a kitchen table out of them. Someday I'd like to turn. Very interesting bowls. That has to be a real head rush.

Great looking Slabs. I always wanted to make a kitchen table out of them. Someday I'd like to turn. Very interesting bowls. That has to be a real head rush.

Carefull turning is addictive. I actually lost a whole day to turning once. Started at 4 in the afternoon and didnt stop until 6 in the morning when I realized the sun was coming up. But I got that bowl done.:dizzy:

PS thanks all for the compliments I will be sure to post when I start using this cherry and walnut..

Back