some chainsaw "wisdom" from another site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Found this on another forum that periodically bashes AS. A couple ex-AS members are over there, still fretting about their time here. I've tried posting over ther once or twice but these people seem dense beyond belief, so I only drop in to view periodically. The posters there seem to have lots of opinions but precious little experience, and their strong preference is towards homeowner-grade equipment - it's just as good, the distinctions that set "pro-grade" equipment apart from homeowner stuff is just a marketing tool.

I'm not quite sure what the point of this analysis is, but I'm sure a lot of thought was put into it. The fact that substantially dissimilar models are placed alongside one another in his "categories" seems not to have phased him, though.

Here we are:

In preparation for another Hurricane here in South Florida, I took it upon myself to compare chainsaws from Echo, Husqvarna, Shindaiwa and Stihl. I compared Power to Weight ratios as well as Fuel Tank Capacity. I did not take into consideration the cost, which may be a deciding factor with some brands.

Arborist ( 34cc) - Stihl MS-200T

Echo 346
Stihl MS-200T

Homeowner ( 36 - 41 cc) – Stihl MS-230

Echo 370
Husqvarna 142
Shindaiwa 377
Stihl MS-230

Handyman ( 42 - 46 cc) – Shindaiwa 446

Echo 440
Husqvarna 345
Shindaiwa 446
Stihl MS-250

Contractor ( 47- 52 cc) – Stihl MS-260 Pro

Echo 520
Husqvarna 353
Shindaiwa 488
Stihl MS-260 Pro
Stihl MS-280

Commercial ( 53 - 61 cc) – Stihl MS-361 Pro

Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Husqvarna 460
Shindaiwa 577
Stihl MS-290 Farm Boss
Stihl MS-310
Stihl MS-361 Pro

Commercial ( 62 - 74 cc)- Stihl MS-390

Echo 670
Husqvarna 357
Shindaiwa 757
Stihl MS-390

I see nothing wrong with the list. He did a good job in fact. The only time this list would not apply is if you are buying the saw to use 24/7. Then it makes sense to stick with the 'pro' grade saws than can be easily serviced/rebuilt.

The focus of the list is hurricane cleanup saws.

coveredinsap said:
I see nothing wrong with the list. He did a good job in fact. The only time this list would not apply is if you are buying the saw to use 24/7. Then it makes sense to stick with the 'pro' grade saws than can be easily serviced/rebuilt.

The focus of the list is hurricane cleanup saws.

Sap are you feeling ok? If you look to the right of that list he chose Stihl five times out of six. Seeing you agree to it I had to come out of retirement and say Dayummmmmmm.

There are mistakes allready at the cc classification of the saws - a really bad start, whatever the purpose is. :monkey:
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

THALL10326 said:
Sap are you feeling ok? If you look to the right of that list he chose Stihl five times out of six. Seeing you agree to it I had to come out of retirement and say Dayummmmmmm.

Yes but his comparisons were unbias.

Husky137 said:
What's the purpose of this thread? What's the point of your analysis?

I just thought it curiously Consumer Reports-like, where "on-paper" specs are compared and a "winner" is determined. Anyone who has spent time here has seen many new members come in with a similar mentality (why is an MS200 more expensive than a larger 42cc Craftsman? Sounds like the MS200 buyer is getting ripped-off).

Many problems exist with this type of comparison method, not the least of which being how to determine which category an item is properly placed in. Consumer Reports considers my Jeep Wrangler a market equal of a Subaru Forester, for example, when anyone who as driven both would agree that their similarities are far and away outclassed by their differences. Here, the cited post evidenced behavior - why else would a rear-handle Echo 346 be directly paired with a MS200T?

I just thought it was curious, an interesting perspective of how the issue of saw selection is handled by some folks, that's all.

Oh I don't Know why would a Echo 346 be compaired to a Almighty Sthil ms200T. Seeing that my Echo does a great job. If I needed a saw to clean up a mess from a hurricane I would not hesitate to by any Echo product.
And not care what the Jones down the street are using.

Like the guy from the other site said, he didn't take cost into consideration. He seems to have simply grouped them by size. I disagree with some of his selections for commercial saws, but we all have differing opinions on that subject!

But in the context of hurricane, (or ice storm for us folks up north) saws, many people have essentially a one time use need for a saw and the cheap saws may actually be the smarter way to go for them.

The little echo saws are nice, though I still like the Stihl, but I recognize that's because I am biased and always thought of Stihl as the best since I was a little kid. Seems like he should have compared the echo CS3400 tophandle(Isn't that the one?) and the Husky 338XPT and a few others with the 200T. I thought the other classifications were close CC wise, of course I only know about teh STihls and some of teh Husky pro saws.

the cs3400 is more comparable to the ms192t
the 200t is in a class all alone.
I my self have a cs3400 and a cs300 I like both start 1st or 2nd pull every time.
I did get to use a ms200t at the saw shop and it is great but since I'm just getting of to a new start I could not afford the$500 plus cost.

Back