Some help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been looking around on the site and here is the climbing section for some time now. I was working for a tree company years back and i used to shuffle my way up the trees and picked up on a few things from the people who worked there. No formal training just learn as you go.

Well after seeing the photos of you guys all having fun and well me sitting at home i decided to get back into it. My aim it to climb a few times a month for fun..and very small side jobs it they come around...i think of this as a great out doors pastime like others that go fishing or biking and would love to take the camera up with me and get some good photos.

Here is the problem. First off iam a big guy so this type of thing will be much harder for me then you ''slim'' people in the photos...its something iam always going to live with so ill work around it ...i did when i was working they just said i looked like a Maine black bear clawing his way up a tree...iam 6'1'' 240 pounds...i was 220 last time i did this and ive been up 80 plus feet so i can be done but i hope this will wake me up and get me to drop the other 20.

Anyways this is getting long winded but i just wanted any tips, tricks, books, and gear ideas from you all. If you could do a shopping list on bailies and link the cart to me would be good i just want to make sure i get what i need to get started. Thank you all for your time and maybe ill have gear and meet up for the next get together seeing how iam from mass. my self.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/ord/basket.html

Being that you are in mass, check out the local Arborist supply stores. IMHO it is much better to try out the gear you may want to buy. PM me and I'll send you more info on suppliers near you.

The size/weight thing is no excuse!!!!! A friend of mine has got you beat by about 20lbs, and he climbs very well.

Don't worry about the weight thing, the alpine man weighs in around 225 and climbs like a guerrilla on steroids. Glad to hear your getting into the action, good luck!

Here is the problem. First off iam a big guy so this type of thing will be much harder for me then you ''slim'' people in the photos...its something iam always going to live with so ill work around it ...i did when i was working they just said i looked like a Maine black bear clawing his way up a tree...iam 6'1'' 240 pounds...i was 220 last time i did this and ive been up 80 plus feet so i can be done but i hope this will wake me up and get me to drop the other 20.

Lol-you call that big?? I've got 6 inches and 35 pounds on you man, and been up and down trees for over a decade. And am right now working with a climber who's even bigger than i am. Size is no excuse-just need to be careful of our tie-ins. Good luck.

help for you

Hello all. I have been looking around on the site and here is the climbing section for some time now. I was working for a tree company years back and i used to shuffle my way up the trees and picked up on a few things from the people who worked there. No formal training just learn as you go.

Well after seeing the photos of you guys all having fun and well me sitting at home i decided to get back into it. My aim it to climb a few times a month for fun..and very small side jobs it they come around...i think of this as a great out doors pastime like others that go fishing or biking and would love to take the camera up with me and get some good photos.

Anyways this is getting long winded but i just wanted any tips, tricks, books, and gear ideas from you all. If you could do a shopping list on bailies and link the cart to me would be good i just want to make sure i get what i need to get started. Thank you all for your time and maybe ill have gear and meet up for the next get together seeing how iam from mass. my self.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/ord/basket.html

i am fairly new to climbing and if you pm me i know quite a few places online you can check for gear.as for books i strongly recomend the tree climbers companion by jeff jepson and the fundamentals of general tree work by gerald f beranek.i also can make some recomendations about knots splices and that sorta thing.as for saddles when you measure your waist add two inches for your dee to dee length.i can also recomend ropes and safties if you want. bill howe. ps for a fee i can splice rope

tips, tricks, books and gear

Tip: you are a big guy so obtain and learn to use a grigri for your decents from on high. Less wear on your rope and reliable holding power against your weight.
Tricks: Learn to use a throw sack to establish as high a tie in point in the tree as possible before leaving the ground. 'Up' support as well as greater range of motion through the canopy result.
Books: Can't go wrong with the Tree Climbers Companion. A must read.
Gear: Good boots with high grip soles to aid in foot locking and limb walking. A short line with buckle to work your way around obstacles and to 'finely' adjust your position in a tree. a good (short) pruning saw for the nusiance stuff that will get in your way. A collapsable lightweight rope retriever like the Sidekick (availble through Wesspur tree supply) to aid in the exact placement and retrieval of lines while in a tree. Greatly enhances mobility, efficentcy and safety when moving about in a tree. Last but not least-- a really good hard hat. You may not need it often but when you do you really need it.
Good luck

thank you all

thank you all for the info i went on to order the 2 books that everyone seems to tell me to get. They will be here mid next week. Also iam coming closer to gear selection and i will be posting what iam getting on here first and see what you all have to say...good and bad.....

Again thank you all for your time and your posts

Yeah the extra weight doesn't make it too much more difficult. I'm an X lineman and a 302 pounds I can still climp poles and trees like a monkey. In some cases the extra weight makes it easier to work up there.

Latest posts

Back