Some pics from work this week..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This past couple weeks i've been cutting right of way for gas line..typically they are 150ft wide and clearcut and i've been on some that where 100 miles long..although both width and length vary alot sometimes...as well as what its for..powerline, roads..etc. Like i have said in the past i work two jobs as much as possible..logging for my one boss and cutting right of way for whoever has the money and needs me..but i cut timber more than i cut right of way because i would much rather log....maybe becasue its harder and more challenging..im not really sure but there is just something about it...but theres more than double the money in clearing..but i would still much rather log...plain and simple for some reason. But i got a call from this company needing timber cutters to come cut..they have the big money and my logging boss is slow right now so i went right of waying for awhile....but even when he is busy he understands if i leave to cut right of way for awhile because he knows as soon as im done im back the next day. Well i've cut alot of timber and i've cut right of way alot too..and you run into some monster trees logging thats where i have cut the biggest and nicest...but i would say i have cut the most big ones at one time cutting right of ways. Thats what i have found for my general area anyway. Well this company gave me a call and i went for them and they got a couple brand new saws for us to run..so i got a brand new husky 372xp x-torque. At first i didnt know what to think of it..but now after running atleast 40 gallon or more..(i dont really know for sure i never keep track of fuel usage thats the least of my concern even on my personal saws)...i know it is BY FAR the strongest stock 372 husky i have ran and i have ran atleast 25 or more 372s..and worked on alot more than that....i would bet its nipping on the heals of my 372 that has the stock cylinder thats modded. So basically it runs and extremely well at that. As i was saying about the big trees we get into...there where atleast ten bigger red oaks on this 1000ft hill i cut yesterday..the smallest of the larger ones was 4ft in dia. I have pics of two trees they where the nicer of the bunch...not the biggest but the nicest..the biggest tree was over 6ft in dia..it measured out to be about 6ft 6in with the root flare....oh and all of these where cut with the 372xp x-torque and 20" bar. There was about a 3 or 4 inch post that i could have cut if i really wanted too...but we're just cutting right of way here..theses logs usually just get piled up to lay in the woods forever...and never get used. But sometimes they are logged out...anyway here are the pics.View attachment 226046View attachment 226047View attachment 226048View attachment 226049

Those are some big trees. It'd be a shame for those to go to waste. If nothing else they would make a lot of heat next winter.

Those are some big trees. It'd be a shame for those to go to waste. If nothing else they would make a lot of heat next winter.

Its sickening to me to see them lay there and rot..alot of coal companys and some landowners dont want them touched for some reason and i guess its their call from there...a sawmill could get rich just collecting all the logs off these right of ways but either they dont want to do it or they arent allowed in there by the landowner. It is truely sickening to me to think that the trees that are gonna lay there just grew for nothing...if anything they should atleast be used as firewood if nothing else..but alot of them dont even see that. But these logs might get used as i heard they might be logging the same stand its on so they might drag them out..i know i would if i where them..they are already cut..they dont have any fuel money in them other than dragging them out.

that 6' footer would make a awesome table slab, me want so bad

Its got some charcter in it..and the rings in the heart of about its first 50 or more years look like old growth..super super tight..then you can see where they cut the timber and the next year it just exploded in growth. Like a B@stard growth.

I got some more pics from work..these are from last week..just a poplar and my 372xp x-torq that im using. The poplar with the saw on it is 36" and rock solid with a double bore cut. When your double boring a tree and you already have the one side bored and when you bore in the other side and it feels like its hollow..well thats what you want..cause you just met your other bore exactly.View attachment 233846View attachment 233847View attachment 233848View attachment 233849View attachment 233850

are you working in the troy pa area ill be doing alot work down there this summer, i work for milton cat we will be taking care of all the natural gas pumping stations down there, looks like your having fun keep up the good work

We've been in washington the last few weeks and cut two jobs there.

Latest posts

Back