Some pics from yesterday's pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Alive

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
quality not very good, wife was crying and shaking when she took the pictures. Everything went very smoothly topping and blocking until the last 6ft section I blocked out. We were using the crotch in the stem beside this tree to rig it down and I tied my knot wrong. Plus, on a chunk this size I should have put a split tail and a sliding knot on it, but I didn't. I don't know if I was tired or in a hurry or what, but this 1500 lb (at least) chunk of wood just did graze the corner of the shed. Bent the tin down and broke 6" piece of 1X4. Very lucky.

As soon as that piece pulled my knot apart I stopped everything. I called my new best friend, the tree pro, and went to his house. We went over the knots over and over again. Turns out I just pulled the tail through the wrong hole. Little mistake, BIG consequences. Anyway, both pines could be just notched and pulled over now, but I'm going to block them down for the practice.

View attachment 86523

View attachment 86524

View attachment 86525

View attachment 86526

View attachment 86527

looking good, glad to here and see that you are learning, too bad for the simple mistake, we all have done it a time or two.

I think we're married to the same lady, that's how my wife takes pictures, sideways........lol......

oh yeah, your wife really loves you or either she was scared you would fall on her...

Last edited:
I find that having the proper ppe(eyes, ears, head) allows me to be more comfortable in a tree. When I'm comfy it speeds up the learning process. Your wife would probably appreciate it too. All in all good effort.

I find that having the proper ppe(eyes, ears, head) allows me to be more comfortable in a tree. When I'm comfy it speeds up the learning process. Your wife would probably appreciate it too. All in all good effort.

you wear hearing protection in a tree?

I usually have a hard hat and the net glasses I had on in these pics, but I don't hear that well anyway, so I don't wear hearing protection. I found that I can hear the branches cracking and the ground guys better without it. I don't even wear it on the ground much, seems like all I can hear is the saw, and nothing else. Makes me paranoid.

What?.....

What did you say?

Sorry, I can't hear you..... hearings bad on the saw side.

Even worse on the chipper side. :dizzy:

Two things:

Hearing damage is progressive and unreversable. It will be nice to hear the oohs and aahs of your grandchildren when they see these photos. Do yourself a favour and muff-up or plug-up and develop a system of hand signals with your groundies.

Undercut: Start using one. That peel looks like it came too close, and while there are situations where a pro will use a peel, I don't see that here. That could have gone bad.

Ok, three things: Hard to tell why, but in a lot of shots you look too close to the tree, like you're hugging it. Lean back, this job is all about body control. I see a couple of photos where an overhead TIP would make your life much easier.

RedlineIt

I run muffs on my helmet in the tree and can hear everything I need to hear. They also help protect the head from side impact for when you don't hear that widowmaker comming.:dizzy:

Really though they help keep the helmet on, ears warm, protected, and hearing intact. They also help you get in a zone if thats your thing.

Two things:

Hearing damage is progressive and unreversable. It will be nice to hear the oohs and aahs of your grandchildren when they see these photos. Do yourself a favour and muff-up or plug-up and develop a system of hand signals with your groundies.

Undercut: Start using one. That peel looks like it came too close, and while there are situations where a pro will use a peel, I don't see that here. That could have gone bad.

Ok, three things: Hard to tell why, but in a lot of shots you look too close to the tree, like you're hugging it. Lean back, this job is all about body control. I see a couple of photos where an overhead TIP would make your life much easier.

RedlineIt

Good post, I agree.

Oops!

Good thing this is a small tree,aka a weed tree ,bigger tree bigger damage,!thanks for the pics!:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

no you dont have to wear hard hats on horizontal trees, everything falls down and away from you

Ha cheers mate stay safe

the pics where I was so close to the tree is when the top came out. I'ts kind of hard to see in the pics but the part of the tree I was on was leaning away from me, I was almost lying on it at times. I like to be pretty tight when the top comes out and I go for a ride. Am I doing that wrong?

Thanks for the input, especially about the PPE. I'll try to start wearing my muffs on the ground and some plugs in the air. It's not like I don't have them, I just need to make it a habit I guess.

Back