Some questions from a fireplace newbie.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davej_07

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im a complete newbie here, gents. When I build my home 8 years ago I paid the upgrade to put in the gas log systen in the fireplace. Only in the last year did I realize that I DO have a wood burning fireplace(confirmed with the builder) and I intend to get my use out of it.
I have a few newbie questions that I hope someone can answer for me.
What exactly is overburn? Ive seen the term used but I want to be sure of what that is.
Can anyone suggest a use for the ashes?

Does anyone know of a good source in S.E. Wisconsin for good hardwood?

I have a Lennox Merit fireplace that was installed. Ive been burning 2-3 pieces of 4"x3" oak at a time, with a littleblack walnut that I have available. When the weather is colder can I build a larger fire or should I stick with what Im doing?

I love the smell of a nice fire, but are there any types of wood I can burn to add fragrance to the house? Cedar or pine in small amounts?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Burn the heck out of it dude! I am assuming you have a steel flue chimney.My mother added on to her 100yr old farmhouse and had one of those newfangled fireplaces put in. I was skeptical at first but afteer watching Mom burn I must say shes put it to the test and its fine. She has chimney cleaned and inspected every two years and no problems so far. Hers has a blower setup built into it and she turns the fan on when she gets the fire going and her husband leaves the room cause its too hot. Start small and get the feel for your setup,Im sure everything will be fine.:cheers:

light it up man! my house is 60 years old and before i put in an insert i used to have huge fires in mine. one fire actually caved in the grate lol. it go so hot it just caved in on itself. i remember sometimes you couldnt even get near it it was so hot.

Be careful until you get the fire figured out, and then go crazy with it!
If you have a good burning fireplace, you really shouldn't "smell" the fire at all in the house.

Latest posts

Back