Some Red Elm Pics...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeigler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is some of the Red Elm pics from yesterday.

Sorry no pics during the milling, i will make sure to get some on the next log.

The log was approx. 36" diameter and 6'6" in length. Had to trim it down a little with the chainsaw freehand to get it in the mill, then cut some boards off the slab. The mill can only handle up to 32".

It was starting to rain so we were trying to get them stacked and stickered quickly. The 9 boards above the slab are 22" wide are sold awaiting pickup.

Everything was cut 5/4 except the slab.

Then below the slab are 4 flitches that were cut off the free hand piece. below that... we have 10 rows of 11" boards ( 20 boards total as they are 2 deep. )

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Very nice... I have some elm, but never milled any. I assume it milled like other hardwoods on the soft side, like walnut or cherry maybe. Elm is one of those "background" woods like hickory and ash that don't get recognized for their unique beauty like they should, being overshadowed by the standard oak/cherry/walnut crowd. It has a beautiful color, and from some of the pieces I've seen made from it, really shines once you put a finish on it. Good Saturday haul.

Don't really have any plans on it for now. I am trying to sell some of it. I have about 5 more logs to mill of the Red Elm yet though.

I did cut a 12/4 for a bar top for me... We left the back on one side... we'll see how that turns out.

Flooring doesn't sound like a bad idea though. This stuff has some really pretty grain.

I am kicking myself in the rear end for selling 14 logs to the local commercial mill. I would have kept it if I new it would be this nice. hind sight though!

Last edited:
Maybe you should have sold the bark. I just read where people are stripping bark from slippery elms in National Parks.

Hey Zig,

Was that done with the Woodmizer Bandmill you had for sale? Dang good deal too, wish I had the cash to float it! :cheers:

Hey Zig,

Was that done with the Woodmizer Bandmill you had for sale? Dang good deal too, wish I had the cash to float it! :cheers:

I wish that was my Woodmizer... I just posted it for anyone that may be looking for one. I would have loved to have it but just can't afford it right now. My uncle has a LT40HD though! It works very nice and does some of the bigger stuff than the LT15 can do.

What's the reason they are stripping the bark?

It may be something like the bark-stripping of big-leaf maples in the Pacific northwest; fiddleback, quilting, etc. will show up under the bark as ripples or blisters. The trees that show figure are stolen; this is big business for thieves who show up with equipment in the dark or when people or rangers aren't around, and stand to make big $$ if they know what they are doing. Don't buy bigleaf maple unless you know where it comes from.

Back