some sort of borers in my peach tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swammie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cut off a branch earlier this year as it was obviously dead and dying quickly. Other parts of the tree are OK. It's a very old peach tree. I see now some bored tunnels through the middle of the branch....any idea how to fix? How about what caused it...I dont' see anything down those holes.

276852050_16c19bbedf.jpg

Carpenterworm control

Your peach tree probably has a carpenterworm infestation. look for active galleries with larval sawdust like frass collecting below the gallery opening. an application of tiny insect parasitic nematodes will kill the larva.
The following puplications have colored photos showing borer damage and application techniques
PARASITIC NEMATODE MAY CONTROL CARPENTERWORM IN FIG TREES-JAMES E. LINDEGREN-TOM YAMA????A-WILLIAM W. BARNETT- CALIFORNIA AGRICULTURE
JANUARY-FEBRUARY 1981

APPLING PARASITIC NEMATODES TO CONTROL CAPENTERWORM IN FIG ORCHARDS--JAMES E. LINDEGREN-WILLIUM W. BARNETT
CALIFORNIA AGRICULTURE,NOVEMBER-DECEMBER1982

It's important for us to know where you are located, so we can consider the pests in your area.
From the looks of the branch in the picture, I'd guess the borer was a secondary pest, moving in only after the branch died.
How about a picture of the whole tree?

Here's another shot. This was much earlier in the year in June. The tallest branch is the one I got rid of....and I just now noticed the bores. I'm in Santa Rosa, CA, Sonoma County.

74677242-L.jpg

sweet sap

carpenterworm active gallery openings from trees with sweet sap attract fruit flies and dry fruit beetles. These insects are known carriers of plant pathogens. I could find carpenterworm in an almond orchard by the major dead limbs. This borer goes inactive in the cool temperatures. It also survives the at he winter and can be active again when the weather warms. It gets distributed in firewood. I call this insect the "hidden tree destroyer" because it is so dificult to detect.It is found through out the United States Mexico and Canada.

Being that it is a peach, I would say its a roundhead borer. Check around the base of tree and look for a jellylike substance possibly containing sawdust like material. Sometimes you can actually pull a borer right out of a small wound with a pick or pointy object. The cure....Lindane will work if sprayed at the right time and if kept up yearly. Lorsban 4E is another option if you are licensed. I would also move all the straw away from your tree. A cleaner floor with Peach trees has always done me better than having matter underneath the tree. Good luck.

gumneck said:
Being that it is a peach, I would say its a roundhead borer. Check around the base of tree and look for a jellylike substance possibly containing sawdust like material. Sometimes you can actually pull a borer right out of a small wound with a pick or pointy object. The cure....Lindane will work if sprayed at the right time and if kept up yearly. Lorsban 4E is another option if you are licensed. I would also move all the straw away from your tree. A cleaner floor with Peach trees has always done me better than having matter underneath the tree. Good luck.

cool. I'll have a look tomorrow. I just moved the bedding there this year, I'll move it away.

Thanks,

Doug

Back