Some things just shouldn't be built

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you beat me to that one!

"wheel of death" made me laugh as it has another meaning for some of us.......punch a hole in each end of a pop or beer can and run a wire through it, fasten each end of the wire to the top of a 5 gallon pail so the can spins freely in the center of the pail, lather some peanut butter on the can and place a stick as a ramp leading up to the rim of the pail; add a few inches of water (or antifreeze if you're not at camp in the winter months); best damn mousetrap on the planet.

Pics or it didn't happen. I shall try one in my shed;-)

Speed watch this video and watch the guy as he takes the shingle off the saw with his left hand. He doesn't even look he just reaches for the piece he knows is right here. Could you imagine doing this job with a hangover? Much safer than the spinning splitter but I bet if the shingle guy was running the splitter it would be much safer too.

Amazing don't take your eyes off the shingle

:buttkick:I'll take one wheel of death and a wheel mounted screw of death so me and the missus can both split togther.

I like the wheel of death better you have to have mad skill for the wheel of death any old home owner can run the screw of death.

Sent from my LG-US780 using Tapatalk

The idea is a good one, just because something looks dangerous doesn't mean it is in the hands of most workers.
That said, his design and build leave a lot to be desired. It is to flimsy, turns to fast, lacks mass in the wheel, and the table needs to be closer to the wheel axel height. The ones I have tried, that worked well, also had much larger diameter wheels.
OSHA exists to give bureaucrats a sense of power and, as a side, to protect idiots. Can you imagine the out cry if chain saws were just now being introduced? They would be harder for the average person to get than fully automatic assault weapons!
Also, the shingle workers hands never get near the teeth of the saw blade, which stays stationary.

Latest posts

Back