Somebody talk me out of it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spike,

Thanks for the verification. My local dealer has no clue about the ne. He has one on his shelf and doesn't even know it.

Later,

ents, what it came down to I guess, is I am used to being able to lean on the saw a bit. The 346 is NOT happy running that way!!
Super sharp chain, and NO pressure!!!
It was certainly not what I expected, nor needed!!!

I have done the same mods to my 350, does everything I could ask and more? Go figure!
I think I should have stuck with my original plan and gotten the 353!

Saw troll, Mini, SRN,

I'd love to keep the 353 but it's an economic issue with me. I can sorta justify a new saw and keep the 353 but then it's PB&J or dog biscuits for dinner.

SRN,
and anyone else that does mods, so what would a punch up of the 353 cost? NOT that I'm considering it, just curious. Yep, just thinking about it. Can't do it, just wondering "what if". oh, ya, uh hah, (wakes up from dream) o.k. where were we?

Later,

$250 seems the going rate.
I do it for fun, not money!!
And yes, you really can do it!! It's easy if you have any mechanical apptitude at all!! I had my 346 appart and back together, the first time, in a matter of a three hour nap!!
I did the 350 in about four or five hours (don't remeber now:cheers: ) and I was rather intoxicated at the time!
Get a Dremel, read a bit, and grind baby grind!!:greenchainsaw:

Most stuff does but they make funny noises (squeaks, creaks, groans, and smoke). Never worked on a 2 stroke, just lawn equip 4 strokers. :) :)

OH! Not the answer I was looking for.
I ussually blame the engineers for putting in parts that are not needed!

I bought a 353 about a year ago and the first thing I did was have the muffler modded and got rid of the crappy epa one. It ran good after that but then thought about buying a faster saw. Well I decided to send it out and get it woods ported for $150 and that added to the muffler cost was about $200. Maybe you can say that was too much money to put into a 353 but after running it for 10 months, it is a screamer and a great saw.
How much would you get for a used 353 and would the difference for the 346 be more than a good porting job? I thought about this and decided to go with the porting and have never looked back. I think my 353 would run with any 346 new or old version and it's lightweight too boot. I know the new 346 is supposed to be a great saw and if your buying a first saw its a great saw for the money. But think about a port job and you will be amazed at what that little 353 can do.
just my .02 cents

Saw troll, Mini, SRN,

I'd love to keep the 353 but it's an economic issue with me. I can sorta justify a new saw and keep the 353 but then it's PB&J or dog biscuits for dinner. ....

Well, you wouldn't have used the 353 much anyway, with a NE346 in the stable.

I kept mine mostly for nostalgic reasons, and as a potential loaner.

Latest posts

Back