Somebody talk me out of it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ents

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of selling my 353 and getting a ne 346xp. Anyone, someone, STOP me. Tell me why I shouldn't do this. OR Tell me why I should.

I know I read it some where on AS but I just spent 20 min. looking and my eyes hurt so I'll just ask. When the NE 346XP came out did they change the part num (if I remember right, no)? Was there a different part num. for the non etech (if I remember right, no, it was hit or miss in getting a non etech)??

Thanks,

Here's how I see it.....even if somebody comes up with a convincing argument for keeping your 353, you're still going to want a 346. Might as well just get it I reckon :clap:

The NE 346XP is not an E-Tech model, so you dont have to worry about that. Almost all of them sold in the US do have the catalytic muffler though. If you can find one without the cat muffler then you will save about 30 bucks vs buying the muffler separate.

Also be sure to order the saw with 3/8 b&c so you dont have to switch it over, thats another 60 bucks

The next 346xp I get, better be running when they shove it in my back!!!
How much for the 353? I'll buy it, mod it, then sell it back to you when you figured out you miss it!

I've been toying with the idea of selling my 353 and getting a ne 346xp. Anyone, someone, STOP me. Tell me why I shouldn't do this. OR Tell me why I should.

I know I read it some where on AS but I just spent 20 min. looking and my eyes hurt so I'll just ask. When the NE 346XP came out did they change the part num (if I remember right, no)? Was there a different part num. for the non etech (if I remember right, no, it was hit or miss in getting a non etech)??

Thanks,

Geeeeeez...just go buy the saw. You want it. You know you want it...just go get the damn thing.

Everybody all together now...."ENTS.....GO BUY THE SAW !!!"

Feel better now?

Thanks,

Here ya go!!!!!!

This is Your Brain,,,,

Stihl

This is your Brain,,, on Drugs,,,

Husqvarna

LOL Just kidding,,, just get the saw and quit whining!!!!!!

The next 346xp I get, better be running when they shove it in my back!!!
How much for the 353? I'll buy it, mod it, then sell it back to you when you figured out you miss it!

So, I take it you don't care for the 346. Care to elaborate or steer me to a thread that addresses this?

Thanks,

SRN,

Thanks for the reply and info. Read most of your threads but the ole eyes are getting tired again.

For my application: 75% Pine going to mill for OSB,

I got the 353 for a limbing saw (cleaning the trunk after on ground, not swinging around the tree while still 80' in the air (man, I wish I could do that)). So, I'm not looking for a saw that will pull full chis. on a 25" bar. I've got the 044 and 640 for that. I like the thin kerf (95VP) on a 16" bar. When sharp it just slices thru those limbs. And the saw is lite (compared to the 044 & 640). What got me on the ne346 is it's zip and response. The 353 does, just o.k. but I want that POP the 346 can deliver (can it????). I also want to stick to a stock saw. I don't have the expertise nor the equip. to mod and maintain a mod saw. I will however trash that cat muf. (already in my parts bin) once the warranty runs out (353, 8 mnths. left).

For now I'm still on the fence. Weather has been wet and I have only got 3 loads in since the 1st of the yr. I'm still in the red on expenses for the yr. AND I'd still have to find a buyer for the 353.

Thanks again,

I have about 8 loops of 95vp yet to go thru. So if I do pull the trigger I'll have to wait on the 3/8s.

Thanks,

The 95VP doesn't do the NE346 justice ime - it is a mis-match, as the chain has too little "bite".

21LP is much faster, but I suspect mine will end up with a 3/8" set-up as well as many others - will try .325x8 first though, but suspect 3/8"x7 is better.

I didn't even consider to get rid of the 353 when I bought the NE346, and at least you need it to use up those 95VP chains on......lol

:cheers:

Thanks,

They did not change the part number, or product code, for this saw, and it drove me nuts. Further, Husky sell most of their saws pre-packed with various bar and chain combinations in the box. So if you ordered one with 16" .050 and one with 18" .058, you might get one old one and one new one. I would think that by now, all of the old units have been moved through the system, with the exception of one old model that I got stuck with due to the above mentioned issue.

They are all E-tech with the cat muffler. I'm selling the other muffler for $25 with any new saw, but the owner has to install it himself.

One thing that not many guys are aware of is that the real thing driving the NE version of this saw was to get it above 50CC so it is subject to less stringent emmission regs. All of this extra power is just a nice bonus!

Latest posts

Back