Someone tell me about a 2002 RG1625 Super Junior?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teeth... Well, he was really proud of Greenteeth, but this unit has bad teeth on it and they are older pocket greenteeth and I will need to do a total replacement and I am sitting here trying to decide if I should spend the cash upfront on a new machine setup or just get some teeth from Ebay for $10 each and be done with it.

Opinions from the gallery?

You already know my opinion. Get the new Greenteeth.

scott,

I've been thinking about selling my '04 sc252 and older 665a tow behind to get a tracked machine like your 7015. My 665a really blows through the stumps but, it can't get in the tight spots my 252 will go. But then, my 252 takes 3 times as long as the 665 to grind a stump. I am hoping that the 7015 will be the best of both worlds although I am a bit concerned about the weight of the machine on nice lawns and in soft areas. How does the 7015 compare on lawns to the smaller self-propelled machines? Does it cause more damage?

How much will a used 7015 run me with say 1000 hours and in good shape? I think I can get around $12K for my two machines. Just trying to decide if I can justify the extra $10-15k to go to the tracked machine or if I should stay with the setup I've got.

Two more questions - what is the weight of your machine and can it be trailered safely with the tracks retracted to 36"? I would want to haul it next to my mini skid on a car trailer...

scott,

I've been thinking about selling my '04 sc252 and older 665a tow behind to get a tracked machine like your 7015. My 665a really blows through the stumps but, it can't get in the tight spots my 252 will go. But then, my 252 takes 3 times as long as the 665 to grind a stump. I am hoping that the 7015 will be the best of both worlds although I am a bit concerned about the weight of the machine on nice lawns and in soft areas. How does the 7015 compare on lawns to the smaller self-propelled machines? Does it cause more damage?

The tracks really displace the weight of the big machine quite well. (Ground pressure of only 1.5 PSI)

It doesn't seem to do any worse on lawn except for 2 situations. If I turn it too sharp it will cut the grass up which can be solved by either making wide turns, forward and back, or by laying a sheet of plywood down to make the turn on.

If the ground is REALLY wet it will leave indentions but so would the Rayco on really wet ground. If I have a spot that can't be torn up and is really wet, I'll put some plywood down.

I've found that most places I really don't need plywood and I'm down to only carrying 3 half sheets on plywood with me. I did a beautiful yard recently only a day and a half after a rain. It was one stump beside the house in the front yard by the gate and 5 more in the back. I only left one SMALL cut in the grass and didn't use any plywood.

How much will a used 7015 run me with say 1000 hours and in good shape? I think I can get around $12K for my two machines. Just trying to decide if I can justify the extra $10-15k to go to the tracked machine or if I should stay with the setup I've got.

I paid $29,500 for mine. It's a 2006 model and only had 160 hours on it. It was basically brand new without the brand new price. ($46,000) They seem to be plentiful in that price range. I was even talking with the Carlton factory and they were trying to sell me a 2006 with just under 300 hours on it for like $34,000. I guess if you were to find one with close to 1,000 hours you should be able to get it for what you get from your 2 grinders. I do think it's worth some extra to have the 7015. I would scream if I had to grind another stump with the Rayco 1625 that was larger than 3'.

Two more questions - what is the weight of your machine and can it be trailered safely with the tracks retracted to 36"? I would want to haul it next to my mini skid on a car trailer...

Carlton says the tracked 7015 is 4300 lbs although I've never weighed it for myself. I keep wanting to go to a truck stop and put it (and my trailer) on the scale and find out.

I don't know about hauling it with the trackes retracted. I chain mine down with the D rings that are on the side of the tracks. I wouldn't want to do it that way if they were retracted as I think that would put alot of strain on the system. The guy I got the machine tied it down with large nylon ratchet straps. I did it that way for awhile but the chains are so much easier. I even had four small chain sections welded right to the frame of my trailer to make it even easier.

Thanks for the info. I guess I just need to start looking and if/when the right deal on the right machine comes along, jump on it and then sell my machines.

I think my budget would likely be around $20K for a machine (intending to get around $12k for my machines so $8k out of pocket). If you ever notice a good deal on a 7015tx in that range, maybe you could send me a pm...? I'm also shopping for a brush chipper so a lot rides on how much I end up spending on that either this fall or next spring. The chipper is first priority - the grinder second.

On a seperate note, I'm trying to find someone in MI to look at a bandit chipper for me - maybe I should call Harv's Sales up and see if 'ole harv can go take a look for me... :laugh:

Thanks again for all your posts about your blue ox. You ought to get a commission from carlton for all your rave reviews of the machine! But then again, a good machine aught to make it's owner eager to boast about it.

Thanks for the info. I guess I just need to start looking and if/when the right deal on the right machine comes along, jump on it and then sell my machines.

I think my budget would likely be around $20K for a machine (intending to get around $12k for my machines so $8k out of pocket). If you ever notice a good deal on a 7015tx in that range, maybe you could send me a pm...? I'm also shopping for a brush chipper so a lot rides on how much I end up spending on that either this fall or next spring. The chipper is first priority - the grinder second.

On a seperate note, I'm trying to find someone in MI to look at a bandit chipper for me - maybe I should call Harv's Sales up and see if 'ole harv can go take a look for me... :laugh:

Thanks again for all your posts about your blue ox. You ought to get a commission from carlton for all your rave reviews of the machine! But then again, a good machine aught to make it's owner eager to boast about it.

I actually did demo the Vermeer 60tx before I bought the Carlton. Did NOT like it at all. In fact, the machine broke during the demo with only 8 hours on the meter.

I presume you haven't operated a tow-behind - only the 1625 jr and your 7015tx? My other concern, besides wear on lawns, is chip containment and whether the tracked machine will require more disbursement of chips vs the tow behind. My 665 piles the chips up very neatly under the huge undercarriage (45 cu ft I believe). I think the carlton 7015tx has a capacity of around 25cu ft. So, I presume I would just have to drive up and over the chips or use the cutter head to move them away from my drive path when the pile gets big or move to a new location - which of course would mean more cleanup. How do you do the big stumps when the chip pile gets big and where chip containment is a concern (ie - landscaping requires piling the chips on only one side of the stump)?

I presume you haven't operated a tow-behind - only the 1625 jr and your 7015tx? My other concern, besides wear on lawns, is chip containment and whether the tracked machine will require more disbursement of chips vs the tow behind. My 665 piles the chips up very neatly under the huge undercarriage (45 cu ft I believe). I think the carlton 7015tx has a capacity of around 25cu ft. So, I presume I would just have to drive up and over the chips or use the cutter head to move them away from my drive path when the pile gets big or move to a new location - which of course would mean more cleanup. How do you do the big stumps when the chip pile gets big and where chip containment is a concern (ie - landscaping requires piling the chips on only one side of the stump)?

I can see your concern but nobody around here cares.

On the big stumps I usually just keep moving forward and climb over the chip pile. The only down side to this is that as you climb the chip pile, the cutter head doesn't always reach as far into the ground as you need as the nose of the grinder is pointed up. I'm going to start carrying some kind of post (6x6?) and put it down before I start on the big stumps so that when I've climbed up the pile some the machine will still be level and allow me to dig further down.

On large blow-overs, I have to reposition and get it from a couple of angles.

I just looked both of them up and this was another reason I bought the Carlton instead of the Vermeer. The Vermeer's capacity is only 23 cu ft while the Carlton's is 38 cu ft. That's almost double.

can you explain why the containment on the carlton is higher than that of the vermeer? Is the carlton higher centered or is it because it's wider when the tracks are widened out?

can you explain why the containment on the carlton is higher than that of the vermeer? Is the carlton higher centered or is it because it's wider when the tracks are widened out?

I guess just from the way they are made.

Vermeer:
ModImage

Carlton:
cleandesign.jpg

The Vermeer seems to have "shorter tracks" making the whole undercarage sit lower plus the deck that the cutter swivels on seems to be lower although the engine sits lower on the carlton.

Last edited:
Arbor Pro,
What size chipper are you looking for? The ranch I am clearing land for has a very low hour, 9" Vermeer chipper for sale. It is a 99 model, has a Cummins diesel, and only has 300Hrs. on it from around the ranch.. It is almost like new. I think it could be bought for around $8500 - $9000. Located 30 miles north of Dallas.
PM me if you have any interest.
Jeff

Thanks jeff. The 9" vermeer sounds like a nice machine but I'm leaning more towards a 12" machine at this point. My preferences (somewhat in order) are Bandit 200+, 250 or 1290 drum, Morbark 12, 13 or 2070, or Vermeer 1000, 1400 or 1500.

Lots of machines out there - just trying to find a good deal on a used one that has been well cared-for.

I appreciate the lead. Thanks again.

Rayco 1625

They had a Nation wide recal on the hydraualic ground drive motor a 4 years ago on eaton motors due to the brake failing in the motor and as I understand things are in a second recall for the same Issue.

They had a Nation wide recal on the hydraualic ground drive motor a 4 years ago on eaton motors due to the brake failing in the motor and as I understand things are in a second recall for the same Issue.

I will check on that! Thanks.

I'm running yellow jackets on my 1625 and have been happy. Patience is def a MUST but this machine will do anything, just takes longer. Thinking about upgrading to a 29hp EFI. Any other upgrades avail?

Latest posts

Back